Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The difference between the US & Canada?

The difference between the US & Canada?

Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The difference between the US & Canada?

Originally Posted by bats
Why would anyone want to live in the USA?
Probably because they see the tiny number of winners winning so much bigger than they can in Canada, and assume that'll be them, that they won't be in the vast mass of losers who lose so much bigger than they normally do in Canada, and than they can in western Europe.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Probably because they see the tiny number of winners winning so much bigger than they can in Canada, and assume that'll be them, that they won't be in the vast mass of losers who lose so much bigger than they normally do in Canada, and than they can in western Europe.
So if you’re a winner you move to the US and if you’re a loser you move to Canada?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:30 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Because it's better than living in Canada?
Why, how is it better? What form does this betterness take?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Ill admit I am biased here.

Both countries have their pros and cons.

Canada is better if you need healthcare and dont have large sums of money to pay for healthcare.

US is better if you want a varied selection of climates and citys to choose from. Anything from tropics to artic and nearly anything in between.

US has more to do overall.

US has cheaper travel options.

US has better highway system.

Better Postal system.

Canada has a better system for cash assistance.

US has better system for food assistance.

Old Sep 29th 2017, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone want to live in the USA?
I would!
We immigrated to Canada as retirees in 1990 (citizens in 1995) and, after travelling across Western Canada and then up/down both USA coasts, I thought living in retirement in USA would more suit us.
I tried all ways to get a green card to no avail...even meeting with Senator McCain to help as he was the Arizona Senator from where I had a snowbird house.
Ten years later, long after we'd given up and sold our house in AZ, they said our application was under review if I could provide police certificates from all countries I'd said I'd previously resided.
Some of those countries I'd resided, since the late 50's, don't even exist anymore....so I failed to comply and lost my application fee.

Immigrating to the USA has not become any easier....
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

Well summed up!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:52 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Opposite here. I had people trying to get me to take jobs in California in the 90s, but didn't want to be stuck there on a work permit for six years until I could get a green card. A couple of people I knew had gone over on work permits, lost their job and had to leave ASAP.

And, frankly, the way California has gone since then, I'm kind of glad. Except when I think how much money I could have had in my bank account from the stock options.
Doesn't this just sum up the difference between the Canadian and American immigrant mentality. American immigrants are hungry for risk/reward, Canadian immigrants, not so much. Should have gone Mark! Saskatoon over San Franciso, I mean seriously...
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Canada is better if you need healthcare and dont have large sums of money to pay for healthcare.
Which probably overrides everything else...unless you're rich or covered by a great policy that insurers honour.
US is better if you want a varied selection of climates and citys to choose from. Anything from tropics to artic and nearly anything in between.
Can't argue with that. Plus, when you live somewhere that gets a 40cm snowfall you get to be in the world news (at least in the UK) even though it's routine for a lot of Canada.
US has more to do overall.
But not necessarily all in the one place

Better Postal system.
Dunno. I've not experienced it but my experience of Canada Post (and I'm not alone) is very good.

Canada has a better system for cash assistance.

US has better system for food assistance.
There's probably a connection here though. The better the cash assistance, the lesser the need for food assistance.

If you need food stamps/food banks for the masses (relatively speaking) it's likely more cost effective/easier to be efficient than if you don't need them for as many because others are looked after better in the first place.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 3:41 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

There appears to be a little 'grass is greener...' feeling in many of these posts.

There are many destinations other than the US available to brits if you hanker for sun.

I strongly suspect that if you're unhappy in Canada then you'd be unhappy in the US and vice versa. Whether you're content to be where you live is more about a state of mind than whether the postal system works well.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Whether you're content to be where you live is more about a state of mind than whether the postal system works well.
Canada....come for the brown water masquerading as coffee, stay for the postal system has a certain ring to it.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 12:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Weather, economy/career opportunities, less government intrusion (things like car insurance), lower taxes, more entertaining politics.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2017 at 12:48 am.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 12:58 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Weather, economy/career opportunities, less government intrusion (things like car insurance), lower taxes, more entertaining politics.
I quite like the American focus on constitutional rights and creating the ideal society. Somehow that debate is different in the UK, much more wrapped up in political tribalism. Canadian politics, with the exception of First Nations issues, are dull beyond belief.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 1:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I quite like the American focus on constitutional rights and creating the ideal society. .....
Unfortunately that's still a work in progress.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 1:10 am
Yo

Unfortunately that's still a work in progress.
Yes it is. That's why the politics is interesting.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 1:11 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Canadian politics
The art of telling a Canadian you don't like Timmies...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.