Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The difference between the US & Canada?

The difference between the US & Canada?

Old Sep 26th 2017, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The difference between the US & Canada?

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
I'm in a low-skilled job that may be supplanted by, but not replaced by technology for the same cost.

I work as event security, and as a door supervisor.
Sorry, but VR is going to eliminate the need for most people to physically go to events over the next couple of decades.

It really is different this time. Most people have no idea of the tsunami of change that's heading our way.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:03 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

There was a chart doing the rounds about professions under threat. I think the one that is predicted to be cut the most is accountancy by 95%. I found this fascinating as my parents used to tell me accountants always found work.

But really I wouldn't be overly concerned. Most generations see jobs come and go and we'll have many new professions.

Cybercrime, data theft and hacking is on the rise and with the growth of blockchain technology will only get worse so self driving cars etc...will take longer than most people think. Too many security and liability issues before big business even begins to lobby things.

Last edited by JamesM; Sep 26th 2017 at 2:15 am.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 2:30 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Sorry, but VR is going to eliminate the need for most people to physically go to events over the next couple of decades. ....
It might eliminate the "need", but it won't eliminate the "want".

I think it was Kevin Godley who declared the rock concert dead nearly 40 years ago as the "pop video" phenomenon took off and yet today video is a fairly stale concept, but people across all genres of music still enjoy going to concerts.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:03 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I was playing with Occulus Rift t'other day and that was amazing. The closest I have ever felt to being with people (more so than Skype et al), and we (four people playing a game spread across the world) were even just characters in a game
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You should be fine then. There are always openings.
Sadly...for some...there are also closings....
Old Sep 26th 2017, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
For some dedicated fans, maybe. But when bands realize they can play to 20,000,000 people without having to travel for weeks and hire huge stadiums, the maths will become hard to ignore.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:53 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was Kevin Godley who declared the rock concert dead nearly 40 years ago as the "pop video" phenomenon took off and yet today video is a fairly stale concept, but people across all genres of music still enjoy going to concerts.
Yes, tend to agree that people often prefer traditional things. Movie theatres would be another example, as would paper books. I think as the tech moves forward, the drive for 'authenticity' will increase.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:59 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

For some dedicated fans, maybe. But when bands realize they can play to 20,000,000 people without having to travel for weeks and hire huge stadiums, the maths will become hard to ignore.
But for live music much of it is presence. Even if the tech provides an identical 'experience' it's still not actual live, and psychologically people want that.

For example, there have been tests to show that a good violin can sound identical to a Stradivarius, but people still available insist on hearing the latter.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:00 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Davita
Sadly...for some...there are also closings....
It's hardly an open and shut case.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

The artist may feel selling to 20,000,000 will make them some easy money. But I'm not sure the uptake will be that high and I doubt it'll be a replacement for live performance. However I'm sure it will be an add-on to the likes of Glastonbury for those that couldn't get tickets.

For me, catching up with friends, having a few beers and getting uncomfortably sweaty with a bunch of strangers listening to awesome music will never be replaced by sitting in my underpants in my living room with a VR headset on...

I think technology will go a long way, but I can't ever see live performances being replaced by VR or anything else. We've had live performance since the dawn of civilization. It's one thing that has lasted throughout the ages across all societies in the world and despite recorded sound, recorded video, live video and big screens; it has endured and grown.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 12:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
But for live music much of it is presence. Even if the tech provides an identical 'experience' it's still not actual live, and psychologically people want that.

For example, there have been tests to show that a good violin can sound identical to a Stradivarius, but people still available insist on hearing the latter.
I bought a few concert videos back in the 1980's and early 90's, of my very favourite bands. I am not sure that I have ever watched one all the way through, certainly not in one sitting. Since then some of the CDs I have bought came with a free DVD - I am fairly certain I have never ever watched a single one, meaning I haven't even taken them out of the box.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 26th 2017 at 12:21 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 5:25 pm
Yo

I bought a few concert videos back in the 1980's and early 90's, of my very favourite bands. I am not sure that I have ever watched one all the way through, certainly not in one sitting. Since then some of the CDs I have bought came with a free DVD - I am fairly certain I have never ever watched a single one, meaning I haven't even taken them out of the box.
I'm the opposite. Love watching old concert videos multiple times! Have never bought one, but plenty are downloadable on Sky.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

The USA - Anything is possible attitude.

Canada - half ar$ed is the gold standard. Chuff it that will do lets go for a coffee and bitch about how busy we are.

Protract this out over a few hundred years and there you have it.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:27 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Canada will always have a need for people because they refuse to accept change / automation. When I go to Sobeys I head for the self checkout option because the cashiers insist on packing my bags very, very badly! Yet everyone else refuses to use them because they are taking jobs. Oh, and they're too lazy to pack their own bags, so the cashiers do it once they've scanned everything, which makes the queues longer.
I'm not complaining as self checkout is win-win for me (no waiting & well packed bags) but it's typical of the let's remain in the dark ages because that's the way it's always been done attitude that is prevalent in Canada.

Last edited by cxx; Sep 28th 2017 at 12:52 am.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:29 am
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alex2201
The USA - Anything is possible attitude.

Canada - half ar$ed is the gold standard. Chuff it that will do lets go for a coffee and bitch about how busy we are.

Protract this out over a few hundred years and there you have it.
Totally agree:
USA - anything is possible
UK - it may be possible
Canada - can't possibly try something different

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.