Dementia tax

Old May 22nd 2017, 5:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dementia tax

Ok...it's a UK issue, but there are still a few Brits knocking about here last time I checked. Basically, Mother Theresa, being strong and stable, has decided to U-turn on her new manifesto policy relating to social care. Press are loving it!

Tricky issue though. At what point should the state be paying for care? The current regime is that the local authority pays for home carers regardless of assets, but will only pay for residential care if assets are below £23K; the Tories want to up this to £100K, but, require the individual/couple (?) to pay for home care within their estate. It doesn't apply to individuals receiving NHS treatment for terminal diseases, but does apply for dementia type diseases, hence the label.
Old May 22nd 2017, 6:38 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dementia tax

This is a difficult one. I see a couple here, she is in a home, he is still self supporting. Their combined state pension covers the costs of her in care. Thankfully they have savings. I don't like the way 'we' take care of our old'ns. I don't like the way that those that didn't save for their retirement get the identical care of someone that did. Makes you wonder why we don't all live the high life and spend every penny we have rather than cherish and save pennies for a better ending.
Old May 22nd 2017, 7:39 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
This is a difficult one. I see a couple here, she is in a home, he is still self supporting. Their combined state pension covers the costs of her in care. Thankfully they have savings. I don't like the way 'we' take care of our old'ns. I don't like the way that those that didn't save for their retirement get the identical care of someone that did. Makes you wonder why we don't all live the high life and spend every penny we have rather than cherish and save pennies for a better ending.
My understanding is that (in the UK, at least) it's not identical (council provided care tends to be less frequent and less 'lavish').
Old May 22nd 2017, 7:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The soundbite 'dementia tax' gives me the irrites. Not all older people get dementia, and not everyone with dementia is old.

May is insisting that her latest announcement of capping the cost people will have to pay for care isn't a back down. Like hell it isn't - she saw how much opposition there was to the original manifesto proposal, including from her own party and traditional Conservative voters, and is madly back peddling.
Old May 22nd 2017, 7:47 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The soundbite 'dementia tax' gives me the irrites. Not all older people get dementia, and not everyone with dementia is old.

May is insisting that her latest announcement of capping the cost people will have to pay for care isn't a back down. Like hell it isn't - she saw how much opposition there was to the original manifesto proposal, including from her own party and traditional Conservative voters, and is madly back peddling.
Good point, but personally, I like the soundbite.

Normally I don't have any issue with politicians doing U-turns, I think it's a healthy part of democracy; I think it's the media that are over-dramatising situations for ratings. But in Theresa's case I make an exception. Glad she is getting skewered on it. Definitely back peddling. Don't know why she doesn't just admit a change of tack, instead of insisting it would come out in the green paper.
Old May 22nd 2017, 8:54 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
My understanding is that (in the UK, at least) it's not identical (council provided care tends to be less frequent and less 'lavish').
Our friend is in a Alberta Health services care home, like a council run one, it's certainly not lavish. If you want a TV in your room you have to pay for the cable. The WiFi only works in one tiny spot if your standing on your head with a finger up your nose. Quite often the group TV is playing a DVD that has finished.

This costs a little under 2k per month, if she was to be in a private facility then the costs would be at least double.

If it weren't for those that can afford to pay for care, then those that can't will suffer.
Old May 22nd 2017, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

What is the U turn? All I have heard is that they will have to pay for their care from their assets once they are dead, but they will be allowed to keep at least 100K.

If that is still the case, I fail to see what is wrong with it, unless one believes that taxpayers should have to fund your care simply so that you can leave a larger amount of money to your beneficiaries.
Old May 22nd 2017, 10:25 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What is the U turn? All I have heard is that they will have to pay for their care from their assets once they are dead, but they will be allowed to keep at least 100K.

If that is still the case, I fail to see what is wrong with it, unless one believes that taxpayers should have to fund your care simply so that you can leave a larger amount of money to your beneficiaries.
The U-turn is in relation to a as yet undefined cap on the amount of social care costs one would have to pay. Up until today, no cap was mentioned, and was implicitly denied in a number of interviews.
Old May 22nd 2017, 10:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

The U-turn is in relation to a as yet undefined cap on the amount of social care costs one would have to pay. Up until today, no cap was mentioned, and was implicitly denied in a number of interviews.
OK, thanks.

Is there anything wrong will lowering the burden to taxpayers?
Old May 22nd 2017, 10:39 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
OK, thanks.

Is there anything wrong will lowering the burden to taxpayers?
The burden needs to be reduced, on the other hand, those who have accumulated wealth might not be happy with it being appropriated. Hard balance to strike, I think.
Old May 22nd 2017, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

it certainly isn't identical here ............ people depending on provincial care get less of everything, from reduced amounts of care (too few care aides), over medication (to keep them quiet), lack of personal hygiene (lack of care aides), little stimulation, etc etc etc

Oh, and basically forget about being able to even be in the same care home as your spouse, let alone in the same. You could even be 60 or more km away.

It is the very lucky person depending on that funding who gets good care.

If you want good care for your parents or for yourself, it has to be self-funded at high cost. I think the current rate is in the region of $6,000 - 10,000.
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:26 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone has spare cash to save for when they are old. Dementia care needs to be recognised as healthcare and funded accordingly.
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:51 am

Originally Posted by scilly
it certainly isn't identical here ............ people depending on provincial care get less of everything, from reduced amounts of care (too few care aides), over medication (to keep them quiet), lack of personal hygiene (lack of care aides), little stimulation, etc etc etc

Oh, and basically forget about being able to even be in the same care home as your spouse, let alone in the same. You could even be 60 or more km away.

It is the very lucky person depending on that funding who gets good care.

If you want good care for your parents or for yourself, it has to be self-funded at high cost. I think the current rate is in the region of $6,000 - 10,000.
If that is going on it needs reporting. A local one is having some issues http://edmontonjournal.com/health/seniors/ahs
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It is the very rare care home that can actually care properly for a dementia patient.

I know of one place in the Lower Mainland that has been getting superb recommendations for the last 4 or 5 years.

Other palces take in dementia patients, but then put 2 in a room, don't always have full stimulation activities, rely too much n sedation, etc etc.

I notice a couple of homes in the area where I live have set up gardens and outside walks suitable for dementia patients, but others have not.

An outside walk (also indoor corridors) should never have corners or end blindly .......... ideally they will be curved gently around the garden of the facility and end up back where the walk started.
Old May 23rd 2017, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
If that is going on it needs reporting. A local one is having some issues http://edmontonjournal.com/health/seniors/ahs

easy to say, very hard to do and to get any action from our current government. And relatives don't always have the energy, or the knowledge, to face up to the powers-that-be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.