Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Deferral of Uni in Canada

Deferral of Uni in Canada

Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Deferral of Uni in Canada

I've been looking into taking a gap year after H.S before going to uni. I think I need the time to decompress from 14 years of government education... But it seems that universities don't really like to defer admissions. On york and McGill websites i've seen they are only granted in "exceptional circumstances" (wanting to *swan* off abroad for a year doesn't seem exceptional...).

In the UK it seems gap years are encouraged by unis... But in Canada its the typical rat race BS...

Does anyone have actual experience with doing it? Any additional risks in applying a year later instead of bothering with deferred admissions?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 25th 2015 at 4:36 pm. Reason: edited, family friendly please Gozit :)
Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

charlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond reputecharlottyb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deferral of Uni in Canada

My son has deferred for a year, to have a gap year. You can use financial need as the reason, they accepted it in his case........say that you need to work for the year to fund university (which these days, is often the truth anyway).
Alternatively, you can apply a year after graduation, still a simple process, but some scholarships are only applicable if applying whilst in Grade 11 or 12.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlottyb
My son has deferred for a year, to have a gap year. You can use financial need as the reason, they accepted it in his case........say that you need to work for the year to fund university (which these days, is often the truth anyway).
Alternatively, you can apply a year after graduation, still a simple process, but some scholarships are only applicable if applying whilst in Grade 11 or 12.
Thanks kindly, that is right, I could use that. And it won't be a lie either as I will be working whilst away.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not just take the year off, and apply when you are ready to go?

I have no idea so I'll ask, what is the big thing with applying for it in HS if your not planning to go right from high school in the fall? Is there any particular reason to apply and then defer?
Old Jan 24th 2015, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Can you not just take the year off, and apply when you are ready to go?

I have no idea so I'll ask, what is the big thing with applying for it in HS if your not planning to go right from high school in the fall? Is there any particular reason to apply and then defer?
The only big reason I can see is the comfort in knowing you have a place in uni to come back to. Other than that I don't really know
Old Jan 24th 2015, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
The only big reason I can see is the comfort in knowing you have a place in uni to come back to. Other than that I don't really know
There is always a university who will accept you. May not be a fancy one, but even I can get into some of the smaller one's with just basic upgrading....

(I've been out of high school nearly 20 years now, so my education is basically considered worthless in the eyes of universities, so have to take a whole slew of things over, grade 11 this, grade 12 that, basically high school over again minus the electives, and BS classes.)
Old Jan 24th 2015, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking into taking a gap year after H.S before going to uni. I think I need the time to decompress from 14 years of government education.

You're being a bit of a drama queen, don't you think?
Old Jan 24th 2015, 9:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Why not ask the universities how many gap year students they accepted last year? If your grades are good and you use your time off productively I can't imagine it would be a problem.

However don't get too hung up on the 14 years education. Going straight in and having great summer holidays would work very well too.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I've been looking into taking a gap year after H.S before going to uni. I think I need the time to decompress from 14 years of government education.

You're being a bit of a drama queen, don't you think?
Try going somewhere you absolutely hate, every day, 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year for 14 years of your life. Then come back and talk about "being a drama queen". That obviously isn't the majority of people's experience with school but it is/has been mine. The education system needs huge reform and there are studies done to back that up but the government still does nothing.

Originally Posted by Shard
Why not ask the universities how many gap year students they accepted last year? If your grades are good and you use your time off productively I can't imagine it would be a problem.

However don't get too hung up on the 14 years education. Going straight in and having great summer holidays would work very well too.
Thats also a good idea... I suspect i'll get in touch with them closer to graduation. Summer holidays will probably be great regardless , but like I said I need a bit of time. A sabbatical of sorts. I think it will help with my motivation, self esteem and general contentedness.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 11:50 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

You are sounding like a forty year old having a mid life crisis. University is great, way different from school, you learn so much and are surrounded by other motivated people. You're treated as an adult and can be as socially active or wonkish as you want. Think about it positively. If you're as negative on Canada as you often purport to be (and I have my doubts) your best bet would be to aim to study overseas on graduation. IMHO.
Old Jan 24th 2015, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
You are sounding like a forty year old having a mid life crisis. University is great, way different from school, you learn so much and are surrounded by other motivated people. You're treated as an adult and can be as socially active or wonkish as you want. Think about it positively. If you're as negative on Canada as you often purport to be (and I have my doubts) your best bet would be to aim to study overseas on graduation. IMHO.
Oh yes i'm looking forward to uni The courses I want to take sound brilliant and I want to take them. Its the HS courses that are a drag. As for Canada, the negativity comes and goes depending on how many degrees below freezing it is

In all seriousness its probably better for me to do uni closer to parents and then after graduation from uni go abroad. But if the opportunity knocks to take a program that is similar to the one I want here, i'd take it in a second.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:25 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Gozit, stop playing the cocky kid routine

That said, I would first speak with your parents since they're the ones footing all of your expenses, do they know what you're thinking of doing?

Also, a year GAP then applying when you get back after the year is a no brainer, that is if you have the marks, because there are people in their twenties, thirties , forties even in their seventies that go to university for the first time, others have done the first year - stopped, then gone back later in life.

There is the option to take three years - five years off, then apply as a mature student

http://www.mcgill.ca/newstudents/tim...aturestudents/

http://futurestudents.yorku.ca/requirements/mature

As someone posted up thread ... you are a "drama queen"

Last edited by not2old; Jan 25th 2015 at 1:16 am.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by not2old

That said, I would first speak with your parents since they're the ones footing all of your expenses, do they know what you're thinking of doing?

Also, a year GAP then applying when you get back after the year is a no brainer, that is if you have the marks, because there are people in their twenties, thirties , forties even in their seventies that go to university for the first time, others have done the first year - stopped, then gone back later in life.

There is there is the option to take three years off, then apply as a mature student

If i took a gap year I would be footing the expense so no one else but me would be involved in the decision, thank you very much.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by not2old

In this case your likely correct, but I hope you don't assume parents pay the cost of education for their kids, many a parents do not provide anything beyond a place to live and food, the student has to figure out how to pay for tuition.

Originally Posted by Gozit
Try going somewhere you absolutely hate, every day, 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year for 14 years of your life. Then come back and talk about "being a drama queen".
Hate to break it to you, but welcome to the adult world, but add on a few weeks since your not likely to have 12 weeks off per year, but the rest is pretty accurate.

HS is just the start....lol

As much as I hated high school and the bullying, if I could go back with the knowledge of real life I have now, I'd probably rock high school, but we lack the real life knowledge while there.

I've only gone the community college route and it's basically just an adult version of high school, 90% of my classmates where 18/19, I was late 20's, but it felt just like HS.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't you still in Grade 10? Perhaps you should wait another couple of years before you stress about this too much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.