Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Declaring common-law status to CRA?

Declaring common-law status to CRA?

Old Sep 11th 2017, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Declaring common-law status to CRA?

Hi all,

this might be more of a question for the immigration forum. I wasn't sure where to post it.

So I have a bit of a complex immigration history in Canada. Arrived in '04 on a work permit, left Canada for a year in '07, returned on a work permit in '07, became PR in '09, left Canada in 2013 and voluntarily gave up PR status in 2016. Moved back to Canada on a work permit in 2017.

I had always been single but this time, moving back here in 2017 I moved with my common-law spouse. As I am now common-law do I have to declare this to CRA, or is it enough to simply file our taxes together when these are due in the spring? We are both planning on applying for PR next year and the common-law declaration has a check box for "have you declared your common-law status to the Canada Revenue Agency". Just wondering how I should go about this or if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2017, 7:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Declaring common-law status to CRA?

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ue-agency.html
Old Sep 11th 2017, 11:33 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Declaring common-law status to CRA?

When you complete your tax return you must declare your relationship status on the first page. On my tax software I can select the relationship status from a drop down list and 'common law' is one of the options.