Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Old Dec 7th 2017, 4:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Parcel never arrived, Purolator strikes again.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 5:03 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

For Purolator if you fill in a form they will leave stuff on your doorstep. You get a sticker for your mailbox confirming this.

So I ordered a shirt off amazon for a costume themed party tonight. CP tried to deliver Thursday, left the "you were out" note. Seriously, is anyone at home daytime these days?

I went to collect Friday afternoon, only to be told it's still on the truck, come back Monday. I pointed out that's no use but they didn't give a rats. They also made the excuse that they don't leave stuff out (doorstep etc) at Xmas in case it gets nicked.

Luckily I found a shirt on sale at the bay last night, as I was out downtown. Amazon will be getting theirs back next week, or at least told the location- I'm not giving CP any $- I've no idea why Amazon decided to chance their arm with CP instead of the usual lightning fast amazon box delivered by an uber-type dude.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 7:48 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Thankfully my experiences have been good, for the most part, and our letter carrier is very nice. If a package is small and unobtrusive she'll leave it in the mailbox if no one is home, but if it has a significant value on the declaration or is too big for the box I get a pick-up slip for after 1 pm next day. She won't leave anything between the front doors. I know some people who work for Canada Post and more who are now retired from there and there is a method to the madness, (usually). If one depot is backed up and they have a plane headed to a free one they'll give your mail a round trip just to get it sorted a little faster, and at Christmas they can have whole floors of the place full of undelivered parcels, taking weeks or worse to process and get out of there.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 7:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
...at Christmas they can have whole floors of the place full of undelivered parcels, taking weeks or worse to process and get out of there.
Less so now but a few years ago in the approach to christmas, they'd deliver mail at all hours and all days. Around 10.00pm once.
Old Dec 9th 2017, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They won't do that for apartments, at least not here since they cannot get to the door without being buzzed in, but normally someone is home so it's not an issue, with Purolator it's just a matter of them actually delivering on time...

Canada Post haven't tried to deliver a parcel in years to me, even when I am home they just leave the note in the mail box to pick up and have done so everywhere I have lived in the last 7-8 years.

Luckily Amazon has 95% of the time used their in house service which is most reliable, followed mostly by UPS with a couple of Purolator but not Canada Post, maybe they noticed a trend of me not picking the parcels up...

I do wish the Canada Post facility across the street offered parcel pick up, but the closest pick up point is 15 or so minutes away which is a pain in the rear end.

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
For Purolator if you fill in a form they will leave stuff on your doorstep. You get a sticker for your mailbox confirming this.

So I ordered a shirt off amazon for a costume themed party tonight. CP tried to deliver Thursday, left the "you were out" note. Seriously, is anyone at home daytime these days?

I went to collect Friday afternoon, only to be told it's still on the truck, come back Monday. I pointed out that's no use but they didn't give a rats. They also made the excuse that they don't leave stuff out (doorstep etc) at Xmas in case it gets nicked.

Luckily I found a shirt on sale at the bay last night, as I was out downtown. Amazon will be getting theirs back next week, or at least told the location- I'm not giving CP any $- I've no idea why Amazon decided to chance their arm with CP instead of the usual lightning fast amazon box delivered by an uber-type dude.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 4:20 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

There were certainly issues in the local PO as I had to pick something up earlier this week.

The manager briefed the staff not to answer any questions if reporters came looking, just refer them to him...

A lot of unhappy campers that day.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

We live across the street from a CP Depot and normally on Sat and Sun the place is empty and deserted. Last week and this weekend it's been busy like a weekday, so they seem to be working weekends to sort and meet demand.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

https://i.redd.it/hb5p334vnp301.jpg
Old Dec 13th 2017, 5:07 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Purolater here seem to have given up actually trying to deliver any parcels, preferring instead to put a card in our community mailbox that we then have to take to the local post office outlet (in a convenience store) to collect our packages the next day. Getting a bit annoying.

UPS excelled themselves last week in sending me an email confirming that the item I'd bought from Costco online had been delivered and left on the front step. (We were out at the time). Of course when we got home there was no sign of the package. While we're not in a crime free area, our front door is 100ft or so from the road, so a thief hast to be pretty determined or committed to walk by and think "Oh, I'll have that!". The UPS website wouldn't allow any kind of claim to be submitted for 24hrs past the last activity (the delivery) but I raised a claim with Costco. Three days later I got an email telling me that they'd dispatch a replacement item, no questions asked. Then that evening a neighbour came round with the package that had been delivered to their address in error! I emailed Costco saying "hang on don't ship the replacement" but they've gone ahead and done so anyway. So I guess we'll return the second item to the local Costco. Anyway kudos to Costco, and black mark for UPS.
Old Dec 13th 2017, 6:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Jsmth...you're the expert on these matters.

What was a Purolator truck doing outside the UPS store today?
Old Dec 15th 2017, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Jsmth...you're the expert on these matters.

What was a Purolator truck doing outside the UPS store today?
Well some of those stores also ship for other companies, they are just franchises usually.

My mom sent a parcel to us, obviously not here yet, but will be curious to see how long it takes.

Mailed Dec 12th in Palm Springs, Calif & departed for Canada on December 13th and arrived in Vancouver today the 14th, let's see how long it takes to clear CBSA and Canada Post delivers it.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 10:58 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Well some of those stores also ship for other companies, they are just franchises usually.
Really?

It's funny. I've only ever used something other than Canada Post once and that was UPS because the laptop I was returning involved a pre-paid return label and there was no choice but UPS.

So I have little experience but going by comments on BE people have definite preferences for one over another.

So you can pick UPS to send something and then they may use another courier that you might not like anyway?
Old Dec 15th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I’m probably about to jinx myself:

Canada Post has excelled itself recently with various deliveries. Highlight is parcel posted Monday (11th) afternoon in a Northern town UK. Delivered (right to my door!), with a smile and a “Joyeux Noel”, 8.45 am this morning.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 2:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So you can pick UPS to send something and then they may use another courier that you might not like anyway?
Less that they would use another courier, but more likely that they have a partner in a certain locale that they might use. So a thing I bought through Amazon that came from small town Alberta was allegedly being shipped through DHL. In actuality it was shipped by someone called Loomis Express who I guess are a partner of DHL.

UPS (Like Fedex) I believe are big enough not to have to subcontract any of their network. Although an exception to this in Newfoundland is the air freight services that brings in express parcels. It's operated by CargoJet for multiple carriers - Purolator, Fedex & UPS all on the same plane. Which comes to us from Moncton I believe.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 2:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I’m probably about to jinx myself:

Canada Post has excelled itself recently with various deliveries. Highlight is parcel posted Monday (11th) afternoon in a Northern town UK. Delivered (right to my door!), with a smile and a “Joyeux Noel”, 8.45 am this morning.
I'm glad it arrived safely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.