Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Old Mar 7th 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dear Canada Post, We Need To Talk.

Originally Posted by orly
Being that I was in Canada...yes it was.

No, actually, it wasn't. Those are courier companies, not the Canadian postal service. They are two different things.

Don't get me wrong, Canada Post sucks - but your examples had nothing to do with postal services.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 7:09 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My package is back in Mississauga, scheduled for delivery Tuesday. Sigh.

I also had a near-stupid experience with UPS. Mr Schnooks ordered something, they tried to deliver while we were at work, so left a delivery notice to go to their shop to pick it up. Cool. So I went by the next day after work, the woman there says "oh, you have good timing, it just came off the truck!"

Err, what? Yeah turns out they sent it back for a second delivery attempt despite the slip saying to pick up at their shop. So, well done there.

At least it was there when I went by!

Oh general postal services... Ugh!
Old Mar 8th 2015, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought, on the 26th Jan through Ebay, a screen protector for my iPhone. It's free shipping from Hong Kong just normal post.
It still hasn't arrived so I emailed the seller on Friday. Because it's free shipping there is no tracking this end but they sent me the tracking in Hong Kong.
It was on a plane on the 28th Jan Hong Kong to Vancouver arriving on the 28th Jan.
I know it has to go through Customs but it's now been 39 days since it arrived in Vancouver.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 1:55 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
I bought, on the 26th Jan through Ebay, a screen protector for my iPhone. It's free shipping from Hong Kong just normal post.
It still hasn't arrived so I emailed the seller on Friday. Because it's free shipping there is no tracking this end but they sent me the tracking in Hong Kong.
It was on a plane on the 28th Jan Hong Kong to Vancouver arriving on the 28th Jan.
I know it has to go through Customs but it's now been 39 days since it arrived in Vancouver.
They'll usually send you another if you contact them. I always like to wait the extra week beyond a month but sometimes it just doesn't come. Check the original ebay ad to see what the company says about shipping.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to do with Canada Post but just mailing stuff generally.

My ex and I went to Santorini years ago to try to save our marriage. We sent postcards to everybody to say what a fantastic time we were having... Got back to the UK and a couple of weeks later I realized the romance of the island had been keeping us together and left him.
Six months later his work colleagues get a lovely post card from us saying how we were having so much fun!!!
You can imagine how miserable that made him feel!!!!
Old Mar 8th 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I send a large parcel to the UK in the middle of October last year, by the non-Airmail route, assuming that it would get there in approx 6 weeks estimated delivery time.

Plenty of time to arrive for Christmas I thought...

Christmas came and went and the parcel didn't arrive, so we assumed it was lost. Put it down to some thieving Postie in Canada or the UK!

Roll on mid-January and I sent another small parcel to the same address. This time I chose Airmail because it was for a birthday a couple of weeks later.

Six days later I got pinged on Facebook with a message from my eldest daughter. Up comes a photo, which I expected to be of the parcel I just sent.

BOTH parcels were in the photo, having been delivered at EXACTLY the same time.

I'm not sure whether to blame Canada Post or Royal Mail for this one....
Old Mar 9th 2015, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
They'll usually send you another if you contact them. I always like to wait the extra week beyond a month but sometimes it just doesn't come. Check the original ebay ad to see what the company says about shipping.
They did add at the end of the email that if I'd be so kind to wait another week, if it doesn't arrive, they will send another one.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 12:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered something on Amazon yesterday, paid extra for 2 day shipping as I'd like to have it by Friday which is the day Amazon estimates delivery.

Amazon like usual used Canada Post, so we shall see if they can manage to have it here by Friday, well to Shopper's, they won't actually deliver a parcel to the house.

Last time I paid for 2 day, it took 4 days... Amazing considering we are only like 100 and some change km away from where Amazon ships from.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I ordered something on Amazon yesterday, paid extra for 2 day shipping as I'd like to have it by Friday which is the day Amazon estimates delivery.

Amazon like usual used Canada Post, so we shall see if they can manage to have it here by Friday, well to Shopper's, they won't actually deliver a parcel to the house.

Last time I paid for 2 day, it took 4 days... Amazing considering we are only like 100 and some change km away from where Amazon ships from.

Amazon via Canada Post sucks, because Canada Post sucks. As you said, things can take forever to arrive in (the local Post Office in) Abbotsford from Richmond.

Amazon via UPS on the other hand can arrive from Ontario in under 48 hours from ordering. Although they do have a habit of leaving stuff on the doorstep...

I did subscribe to Prime though, because we do order quite a lot from Amazon and was getting bored with the tie delivery took.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neilg14
They did add at the end of the email that if I'd be so kind to wait another week, if it doesn't arrive, they will send another one.
My parcel turned up yesterday.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 5:01 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My package turned up on Monday, a day ahead of the scheduled delivery, in the end! So go figure that one out. Still don't get why it went via Edmonton, but there you have it.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Amazon via Canada Post sucks, because Canada Post sucks. As you said, things can take forever to arrive in (the local Post Office in) Abbotsford from Richmond.

Amazon via UPS on the other hand can arrive from Ontario in under 48 hours from ordering. Although they do have a habit of leaving stuff on the doorstep...

I did subscribe to Prime though, because we do order quite a lot from Amazon and was getting bored with the tie delivery took.
When the dollar was stronger, I'd order from Amazon.com just to get the item faster, had to pay for shipping but still generally wasn't much more then .ca but .com sends the orders to Canada via UPS so was pretty reliable.

Now with the dollar lower, it's not worth it, so I am using Amazon far less since .ca sucks and doesn't have a very good selection, but every so often I can find what I want on .ca
Old Mar 11th 2015, 6:29 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
When the dollar was stronger, I'd order from Amazon.com just to get the item faster, had to pay for shipping but still generally wasn't much more then .ca but .com sends the orders to Canada via UPS so was pretty reliable.

Now with the dollar lower, it's not worth it, so I am using Amazon far less since .ca sucks and doesn't have a very good selection, but every so often I can find what I want on .ca
I agree. I tend to always check .ca when I'm shopping for something... some things are reasonably priced there, or only a little bit more than the US so it's not worth the faff of ordering from the US... some things have pretty big price differences, though. That said, it helps that my best friend lives in Michigan, so I often send stuff to her place, and then pick it up when I go visit, or have her bring it up when she comes home for a weekend.

Oh, also -- one of the packages I ordered from .ca was shipped from the UK. Go figure.
Old Mar 11th 2015, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
My package turned up on Monday, a day ahead of the scheduled delivery, in the end! So go figure that one out. Still don't get why it went via Edmonton, but there you have it.
So quit ya bitching you got it before the scheduled delivery Maybe they sent it via Edmonton as they thought you would be too shocked if it arrived 3 or 4 days before the scheduled delivery
Old Mar 11th 2015, 6:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I tend to always check .ca when I'm shopping for something... some things are reasonably priced there, or only a little bit more than the US..... some things have pretty big price differences, though....
Too right.

Adjustable Height Home Bed Assist Handle Adjustable Height Home Bed Assist Handle
.com = $30.49
Identical item on .ca $66.81

But then .com charges $40 shipping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.