Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Customs - CBSA Canada

Customs - CBSA Canada

Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Customs - CBSA Canada

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone can help with the following questions please:

1. For the currency limit into Canada, does a child/baby have their own individual threshold, or is the $ limit only applicable to adults?

2. If I receive gifts overseas, do I declare this, and it's counted within my $ allowance? Or if not, do I need a letter from the family member giving me the gifts??

3. For the value of goods brought in, can some of this be applied to a child as well?

Thank you!

Jerry
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs - CBSA Canada

Although no age limit is specified as it says Every Person entering or leaving must report
Here is a link with a bit more info then you decide
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicat.../e677-eng.html

The gift allowance is $60 per gift so legally you could have 100 gifts of $59 each.
Read this link
Travellers - Paying duty and taxes

Personal exemptions are individual exemptions and must be for the personal use or benefit therefore a carton of cigarettes or 1 litre bottle of rum cannot be imported by a child. Now would a skill saw be a benefit to a child well thats an argument for another day same as I expect the woman/man who has bought clothes and then claims that their children will eventually grow into them.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Although no age limit is specified as it says Every Person entering or leaving must report

The gift allowance is $60 per gift so legally you could have 100 gifts of $59 each.
Read this link
Travellers - Paying duty and taxes

Personal exemptions are individual exemptions and must be for the personal use or benefit therefore a carton of cigarettes or 1 litre bottle of rum cannot be imported by a child. Now would a skill saw be a benefit to a child well thats an argument for another day same as I expect the woman/man who has bought clothes and then claims that their children will eventually grow into them.
haha Thanks FL!

No whiskey for the child then (doh )

Hmm so if the gift is more than $60 e.g. $100, it would be including within the allowance? eg. if I can bring in $500 worth of goods (or whatever) I would then have used $40 of this with that gift?

The amount of the gift is a bit odd as it is some mountain rocks and I don't know the value of them so will have to guess.

Thank you again Former Lancastrian, you're da best.

Jerry.

EDIT: FL - I found it!

You must declare all goods you acquired while outside Canada, including purchases, gifts, prizes and awards that you have with you or are being shipped to you. You must declare goods purchased at a Canadian or foreign duty-free shop, and any repairs or alterations you made to your vehicle, vessel or aircraft while you were out of the country.

Last edited by jerryhung; Feb 16th 2018 at 5:10 pm. Reason: I think I found it
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Hmm I didn't realize we actually had to complete a form - even if under $10K...

Odd.

But it looks like children can bring currency in but they can't sign the form....
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

I should read before asking:

Travelling with CAN$10,000 or more

There are no restrictions on the amount of money you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so.

However, any time you cross the border, you must declare any currency or monetary instruments you have in your possession that are valued at CAN$10,000 or more. The CAN$10,000 can be any combination of Canadian or foreign currency and monetary instruments, such as stocks, bonds, bank drafts, cheques and traveller's cheques. This requirement applies to you whether you are travelling on business, pleasure or if you are carrying money on behalf of someone else.

So it looks like the child can also carry $ as long as under 10K
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Hmm I didn't realize we actually had to complete a form - even if under $10K...

Odd.

But it looks like children can bring currency in but they can't sign the form....
It reads
The Act and its Regulations require imports and exports of CAN$10,000 or more or its equivalent in currency or monetary instruments (or the equivalent in a foreign currency, based on the official conversion rate) to be reported to a border services officer.
So if less than $10,000 no forms to fill in.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you FL Much appreciated!