Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A culture of lies and two faced talk

A culture of lies and two faced talk

Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A culture of lies and two faced talk

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
(great shots of A & A and Sam the Record Man)
They were opposite Centennial Billiards, I used to play "10 reds" in there.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Keep in mind that somebody not familiar with 1970's Britain would find Monty Python skits equally embarassing and nonsensical.
I've always found them embarrassing and nonsensical.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:05 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

Only because you couldn't get funding for your silly walk.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It's funny, when I was home last Christmas with my daughter (who has a firmly ingrained Australian accent) everyone in my family commented on how Australian I sound. I don't - I was in my 40s when we moved here, so I have never lost my accent. I think it's more that we use Australian slang and idioms. However it didn't take long for #1 daughter and I to fall back into Canadian slang and speech patterns. Within the first week we were laughing about us sounding like hosers and using "eh" at the end of our sentences.

Here in Australia I get mistaken for Irish all the time although I don't know why.
I get called Irish nearly everytime i meet someone new!! and ive never been to Ireland in my entire life, or any remote family connections!!

Ive got a black country accent, which for anyone that doesnt know is the industrial region to the west of Birmingham....(but im not a Brummie!)

Its seems if theyre in doubt you get called Irish! lol
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:22 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
We had an unfortunate 15 year old immigrant from Kent show up in our south Ontario neighbourhood in the 1970s. Absolutely the worst street hockey player over the age of 4 any of us had ever seen....
He introduced us to the joys of Monty Python, not the 9 oclock news and Blackadder. I found the latter two funny, but mostly struggled with skits like 'how to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana'.
He is still a friend [lord knows why].
Talking of hockey, I'm still struggling to cope with Beaulieu's little contretemps with Paquette (Tampa Bay) the other night. How the hell do you throw a punch hard enough to shatter a visor?
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Talking of hockey, I'm still struggling to cope with Beaulieu's little contretemps with Paquette (Tampa Bay) the other night. How the hell do you throw a punch hard enough to shatter a visor?
Maybe it was made of "sugar glass" for full hollywood effect! lol
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we have ideal neighbours.

They wave from their truck as they go by, we wave to them. Sometimes we converse to the extent of "cold today", "aye 'tis" or "no power again, do you have a generator?", "yes, thanks".

Once I got the tractor stuck in the snow and they came and showed a trick to get it out. Once I found a pony on our lawn and, guessing it was theirs, walked it over to them. One year we had no plans for the hay in the field so we offered it to them and they cut it, baled it, and took it away. Some time later one of them drove over with parts of some cows they'd had slaughtered.

That's the complete account of interaction after three years of living next door. I don't know if it's an account of interacting with friendly, helpful, respectfully distant, Canadians because I've no reason to know if they're Canadians. Even out in the country, few people are from around here.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Only because you couldn't get funding for your silly walk.
Nah, it's because they were comedy rivals to his Harold Steptoe role.
Attached Thumbnails A culture of lies and two faced talk-dbd.jpg  
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:39 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nah, it's because they were comedy rivals to his Harold Steptoe role.
there is thing to be said about Albert Steptoe & Alf Garnett that makes everything 'all right'
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I get called Irish nearly everytime i meet someone new!! and ive never been to Ireland in my entire life, or any remote family connections!!

Ive got a black country accent, which for anyone that doesnt know is the industrial region to the west of Birmingham....(but im not a Brummie!)

I am from Stoke and have been asked if I was Irish, Scottish, Australian and even a Newfie!!!???

I was in Brum last September with my Canadian GF. We were in a clothes shop and there were a group of girls close to us chatting in very obvious black country accents. My GF asked me if they were English or not!!
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:31 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd

When I was at uni in the US, I'd get 'ooh you remind me of Hugh Grant' which given that I fancied my self as having the accent of an East London villain I felt was rather insulting. Still it was good for pulling the gash.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 5:58 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I think we have ideal neighbours.

They wave from their truck as they go by, we wave to them. Sometimes we converse to the extent of "cold today", "aye 'tis" or "no power again, do you have a generator?", "yes, thanks".

Once I got the tractor stuck in the snow and they came and showed a trick to get it out. Once I found a pony on our lawn and, guessing it was theirs, walked it over to them. One year we had no plans for the hay in the field so we offered it to them and they cut it, baled it, and took it away. Some time later one of them drove over with parts of some cows they'd had slaughtered.

That's the complete account of interaction after three years of living next door. I don't know if it's an account of interacting with friendly, helpful, respectfully distant, Canadians because I've no reason to know if they're Canadians. Even out in the country, few people are from around here.
Sounds a bit like my neighbours. I'm never quite sure which one of them blows my driveway when I'm not looking. Could be the Quebecois, the Lebanese or the Iranian. Could be all of them.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 6:37 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard the expression "hosers" since Bob and Doug Mackenzie were popular, when was that? 1980 something?
I learnt of the phrase (and had it explained to me) on an NFL fan website when gently* teasing the locals.

* they have guns, right
Old Feb 11th 2016, 8:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanity
They could if they showed a bit of a nuance.
Yeah, the nuanced debate that goes on in these threads is what makes them so interesting and why I keep reading. To be honest it's something you only get from highly educated people like myself and a few select others of course.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 10:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't heard the expression "hosers" since Bob and Doug Mackenzie were popular, when was that? 1980 something?

It conjures up everything I dislike about this country, plaid, stupid hats, bags of stinking iced hockey equipment in the office, imitation wood paneled rooms, damp, people who actually drink the domestic beer, Cancon, endless repetition of lame "jokes" based on miniscule differences from people resident in the US.

I suppose only the expression "take off, eh?" has a more visceral impact. "Oh God", my gut cries "not this again".
You do realise that Bob and Doug McKenzie were meant to be a parody of Canadians. Sort of like the entire SCTV program was a subtle (or not) protest against the Canadian government and their ridiculous Canadian content laws.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You do realise that Bob and Doug McKenzie were meant to be a parody of Canadians.
Yes.