Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A culture of lies and two faced talk

A culture of lies and two faced talk

Old Feb 9th 2016, 9:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A culture of lies and two faced talk

Originally Posted by vanity
I suppose it was too much to expect my post to be read.
Two faced it is...

From personal experience being away from the UK forever, having been an immigrant with PR in two other countries besides Canada, as well as having worked around the block, it comes as no surprise to me to take everyone at face value, right down to being two-faced, no matter who they are or where they are from.

The only exception to that would be my immediate family - the rest of the world can go screw off
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Being an old codger - there used to be a thread on that, once - I must say I like the idea of people being courteous to me, even if they're insincere. Better than being sincerely rude, surely?
Old Feb 10th 2016, 11:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
... I like the idea of people being courteous to me, even if they're insincere. Better than being sincerely rude, surely?
How about being courteous and rude? As in "with the greatest respect..." usually followed by something insulting like "that's the biggest load of tripe I've ever heard."

Old Feb 10th 2016, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanity
RANT ALERT

I am so tired of fake civility. On more than one occasion, with multiple people I have been promised things, people saying things that go far beyond the common call of courtesy/necessity (offering this and that), and the minute I actually need anything, they are nowhere to be seen, had no problems not following through on their "promises"

Saying nice, kind things to my face and disappearing like a flash.

I am so sick and tired of this two faced culture. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one http://britishexpats.com/forum/maple...-earth-805788/ or I would go crazy thinking that I am the only one who has ever experienced this.

Argh!
I'm totally on the same page as you. Unfortunately, am stuck here in cold-as-ice Ottawa
Old Feb 10th 2016, 1:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
I'm totally on the same page as you. Unfortunately, am stuck here in cold-as-ice Ottawa
Go ice skating on the canal?
Just kidding
Old Feb 10th 2016, 1:47 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Go ice skating on the canal?
Just kidding
And why not? Much of it is now open.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think I must have been incredibly lucky or fortunate because those that I have asked for help, or who have offered it and it's been taken up, have come through every time. Conversely, the three times I have been let down has been by Brits!

I'm wondering if it depends on where you are..

I think i must have been one of those lucky ones too, i dont think i have ever had such friends that will go to the extra mile in lending me a hand when i need their help. I class myself lucky to have some great friends in the UK, but some Canadians have even surpassed that.

I think it must depend on where you are in Canada, as much as i have complained about certain things living in Peterborough, the people are great.

I lived in Cambridge for the first 9 months of living in Canada, and that place was a different story, i felt like a total outsider there, many seemed offish and distant, glad i got the chance to move elsewhere.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
And why not? Much of it is now open.
Yeah, I'd be on it if I I were out that way, just thinking it's probably the last thing a disgruntled Brit in freezing Ottawa wants to hear as a suggestion.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
I think it must depend on where you are in Canada, ...
I don't agree with this. I live in roughly the same place as the OP. The OP seems to have the most miserable experiences possible yet I have a great life and enjoy the people I meet.

I get that people find change difficult. One of my "things" in my former corporate life was the implementation of ERP systems. This involved a great deal of change in the way people managed their work practices and there was inevitably a great deal of resistance from the workforce. Getting people to accept the new software was a much tougher job than implementing the technology. You gradually win people round by showing them that the benefits to them outweigh the pain of learning new ways of doing things.

There was always a rump of people who just would not accept change, no matter what. They failed at their job tasks (often deliberately) and blamed the new software. Some would even go as far as to sabotage the system to prove they are right to refuse to change.

Emigration is also a huge and disruptive change. A positive person focuses on enjoying the things that are different and good and finds a workaround of things that are different and not so good. A negative person focuses on the things that are not so good, but over time comes to accept them and starts to appreciate the goods things. A very negative person gets stuck on the things that are not so good and cannot see past them.

Just like people who blame new software for their inability to do their job some immigrants prefer to blame "Canada" or "Canadians" for their inability to adapt.

In short, I think it is who you are, not where you are.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I don't agree with this. I live in roughly the same place as the OP. The OP seems to have the most miserable experiences possible yet I have a great life and enjoy the people I meet.

I get that people find change difficult. One of my "things" in my former corporate life was the implementation of ERP systems. This involved a great deal of change in the way people managed their work practices and there was inevitably a great deal of resistance from the workforce. Getting people to accept the new software was a much tougher job than implementing the technology. You gradually win people round by showing them that the benefits to them outweigh the pain of learning new ways of doing things.

There was always a rump of people who just would not accept change, no matter what. They failed at their job tasks (often deliberately) and blamed the new software. Some would even go as far as to sabotage the system to prove they are right to refuse to change.

Emigration is also a huge and disruptive change. A positive person focuses on enjoying the things that are different and good and finds a workaround of things that are different and not so good. A negative person focuses on the things that are not so good, but over time comes to accept them and starts to appreciate the goods things. A very negative person gets stuck on the things that are not so good and cannot see past them.

Just like people who blame new software for their inability to do their job some immigrants prefer to blame "Canada" or "Canadians" for their inability to adapt.

Great post
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:54 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

When I first read this post I did wonder if the originator is the problem. Oddly enough the only instances that I can recall of being two faced involve Brits ! Claiming that Canadians have a culture of lies and two faced talk is a very sweeping generalization and a load of beaulochs. They are no different than anywhere else.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 5:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

You say this. But I'm still not upgrading to windows 10.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:06 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Good Post.

I've met lovely lovely people who have gone out of their way to help us settle in, even to the point where someone I barely knew at the time volunteered her husband who I hadn't met to help us move house- we hadn't been in the country six months at the time..he duly turned up, helped us move and we've been friends since... Just one example.. I can cite many more. Likewise, I'm trying to pay it forward when I meet new people into the area.

Tbh your response to Dorothy says much about you
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

its like those that emigrate from the UK giving the reason 'there isn't anything there for them, no future, the people, government & anything else sucks - to the UK is a shit hole' . So, I'm going to get as far away as possible to some place such as Canada or somewhere else that will be way better for me than staying in the UK

Then when some get to the new found land, all they do is whinge & compare to back home, the water is different, the food, the culture & why is it only me that sees this & no one else does?
Old Feb 10th 2016, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
its like those that emigrate from the UK giving the reason 'there isn't anything there for them, no future, the people, government & anything else sucks - to the UK is a shit hole' . So, I'm going to get as far away as possible to some place such as Canada or somewhere else that will be way better for me than staying in the UK

Then when some get to the new found land, all they do is whinge & compare to back home, the water is different, the food, the culture & why is it only me that sees this & no one else does?
BINGO we have a winner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.