Cuba

Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cuba

Originally Posted by dbd33
One of my daughters went to Cuba for on some sort of Peace Corps type adventure for a summer, came back craving pasta (surely the first and last person to do so) and reported that all anyone has to eat is beans and rice but there was good healthcare. It was a "Canadian" mission but she went on her Swiss passport so as not to get a stamp in the passport she uses for the US. So did everyone else making it multinational non-Canadian Canadian mission.
I'm sure everybody's experience is different. We're all individual and our tolerance levels vary. Even hubby and I had different outlooks on the hotels short comings...
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 2:53 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking at a Cuba trip (A Havana/Varedeo combo). I had heard that you need to book at least one star above your minimum. However, my Neice has decided to get married in the south of France, so our vacation dollars are going there instead....could be a blessing?
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
This is what we saw a lot of... houses for the most part haven't been touched in many many years...

http://www.reimaginerpe.org/files/images/IMG_0486.jpg

On my recent motorbike trip to Romania, I was surprised to see rows of houses like these in Croatia, Serbia and Romania.

Romania was very strange though, they'd have houses like in the quoted photo but then next door there'd be some crazy designed house with terrible colour choices.

Romania's 'bling' palaces 'built on back of UK crime' face demolition | Daily Mail Online

The difference in Croatia between the coast and the inland areas is huge.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

A few of my friends went to Dominican, they said they enjoyed it, but it was a place you had to stay on resort. They did venture out but said they didn't feel safe and for that reason wouldn't return as it was a bit boring just staying on resort.
I actually really fancied Cuba but now I'm not so sure!
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk

Romania was very strange though, they'd have houses like in the quoted photo but then next door there'd be some crazy designed house with terrible colour choices.

Romania's 'bling' palaces 'built on back of UK crime' face demolition | Daily Mail Online
There must be money in dodgy driveway paving.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

A few of my friends went to Dominican, they said they enjoyed it, but it was a place you had to stay on resort. They did venture out but said they didn't feel safe and for that reason wouldn't return as it was a bit boring just staying on resort.
I actually really fancied Cuba but now I'm not so sure!
Don't be put off. That wasn't my intention.
The people are lovely but just make sure you chose your resort carefully. Get recommendations...
seeing all the run down buildings and learning more about the culture and living conditions is an eye opener to a way of living that we can't even imagine.
I will go back. But I will be more savvy.
I felt very safe there, that was never an issue.
Old Oct 2nd 2017, 1:35 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

A few of my friends went to Dominican, they said they enjoyed it, but it was a place you had to stay on resort.
I wouldn't even mind that - or even staying in the grounds of the hotel - or is that what you meant by staying on resort? It depends on why you're away.

If it's to travel, see somewhere different, then obviously not.

But if you're just wanting some winter sun and views and facilities are good I wouldn't go stir crazy within a week.
Old Oct 3rd 2017, 1:36 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
This is what we saw a lot of... houses for the most part haven't been touched in many many years...

http://www.reimaginerpe.org/files/images/IMG_0486.jpg
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Ah yes...Levis was the recommendation for the old USSR. After hearing about the shortages when I did my Leningrad/Moscow trip I wanted to take a suitcase full of contraceptives and sanitary pads if there had been a further visit but from the experience of the first trip you just knew someone would sell them on for an inflated price.

Iron Curtain austerity? You mean those poky little apartments in the big blocks.

How is it for pools? I like a nice beach but for lounging about in the sun I always preferred by the pool.

How do you mean, being the only English speakers was a bonus?

Have you done the other 'usuals' like Mexico and Dominican Republic?
Not iron curtain austerity but years of controls on imports by the USA. (Can't remember what those things are called, embargo? ) so they have no access to usa built car parts, medications, medical equipment, food imports, electronics etc etc.

I too have heard that their medicine is excellent.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

One of my daughters went to Cuba for on some sort of Peace Corps type adventure for a summer, came back craving pasta (surely the first and last person to do so) and reported that all anyone has to eat is beans and rice but there was good healthcare. It was a "Canadian" mission but she went on her Swiss passport so as not to get a stamp in the passport she uses for the US. So did everyone else making it multinational non-Canadian Canadian mission.
The restrictions on Cuba travel by US authorities only apply to US citizens and permanent residents, who require a licence to transact business in Cuba (defined broadly as include spending even just $1 on a hotel room). It does not apply to non-US Citizens or non-US Permanent Residents who visit Cuba and later look to enter the United States.
Old Oct 4th 2017, 12:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
The restrictions on Cuba travel by US authorities only apply to US citizens and permanent residents, who require a licence to transact business in Cuba (defined broadly as include spending even just $1 on a hotel room). It does not apply to non-US Citizens or non-US Permanent Residents who visit Cuba and later look to enter the United States.
It is never a good idea to excite interest in oneself at a border crossing so, for example, because the same child has Iraqi stamps in her Swiss passport she used her British passport to visit Israel. At the time, 15 years ago maybe, the US and Cuba had a fractious relationship so that seemed a sensible precaution.

Most people in Canada have a passport other than Canadian and many hold the Canadian one specifically for use in the US, it's no trouble to travel on the passport of one's home country and to leave the Canadian one for the occasions when it's the least controversial option; such as when going to Buffalo.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I wouldn't even mind that - or even staying in the grounds of the hotel - or is that what you meant by staying on resort? It depends on why you're away.

If it's to travel, see somewhere different, then obviously not.

But if you're just wanting some winter sun and views and facilities are good I wouldn't go stir crazy within a week.
I meant the hotel grounds, I'd hate that to be honest. If I'm going somewhere I want to see the place.. I just don't want to get robbed or murdered doing it.. Maybe I'm just being picky though
Old Oct 5th 2017, 11:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I meant the hotel grounds
Yes...I've since seen a definition of resort to include the hotel and grounds.
I'd hate that to be honest. If I'm going somewhere I want to see the place..
Agreed, with the rider that it might not matter. I also don't want all inclusive/meals included as a first choice but sometimes it's best to avoid food poisoning.
I'm not normally someone to be put off by tales of woe, but I've been looking at Mexico as a means of breaking harsh winters in two. There seem to be very strong recommendations for Cancun, for example, to avoid the Downtown like the plague and stay in the hotel zone.

There's not going to be much to do around there but I wouldn't care if it gave me a break from frigid temps and snow.

I had 2 weeks in Egypt in 1990 and in '97 I went back to do a sponsored bike ride. I added a week after all was done staying in the same hotel in Luxor I'd been in for part of the '90 trip and made it my first half of the year holiday.

I needed to relax after the 10 hour days on the bike.
So I wasn't bothered about seeing the sights again. I did go out one evening and had stones thrown at me It wasn't long before the massacre so it could have been worse.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not normally someone to be put off by tales of woe, but I've been looking at Mexico as a means of breaking harsh winters in two. There seem to be very strong recommendations for Cancun, for example, to avoid the Downtown like the plague and stay in the hotel zone.
I haven't been to Cancun but most people I know who have are people I don't think like to get out of their bubble much. The hotel zone is not really like Mexico..its sort of a Disney version of Mexico. Not my cup of tea.

If you want to break up the winter in Moncton what about the south of France. Get an Air B'n B place in a small town on the coastal train line and go on day trips, walks in the towns etc. The weather is nice and you could try your Moncton Acadian french on the locals there. Plus there is Ligue 1.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 12:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
If you want to break up the winter in Moncton what about the south of France. Get an Air B'n B place in a small town on the coastal train line and go on day trips, walks in the towns etc. The weather is nice and you could try your Moncton Acadian french on the locals there. Plus there is Ligue 1.
Or Italy. I hadn't given Italy any thought a month ago but 350 euros got me four nights in a villa with a pool, no neighbours, and a view of the sea. There was all manner of wonderful food available by pointing and waving money and reasonable enough wine for 7 euros the bottle. Getting there took a long time but, if you're not working, that shouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 5th 2017, 4:28 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
...The hotel zone is not really like Mexico..
I have to say this in the right tone......I wouldn't be going to Mexico though, I'd be going to a sunbed in the sun by a pool with a sea view. It wouldn't matter where it was.

Of course, I'd much rather do South of France or any number of other places but comparable weather at that time of year would need to be somewhere like the Canaries. That would be okay too, but looking at the Cancun prices, the whole package in one of the nicer hotels can be had for the cost of the European flight only and quicker.

If you want to break up the winter in Moncton what about the south of France. Get an Air B'n B place in a small town on the coastal train line and go on day trips, walks in the towns etc.
Don't forget, though, I have that planned as the final part of a Euro trip.
Or Italy. I hadn't given Italy any thought a month ago but 350 euros got me four nights in a villa with a pool...
Those villas generally require a drive to get there don't they?
How's the weather poolside at the end of January

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.