Creationists

Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creationists

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Media balance, innit?
So they say

When do you get out of this place?
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:20 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
So they say

When do you get out of this place?
382 days +/-.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

So, I'm guessing that everyone who posted on this thread is either atheist or at least agnostic (but not agnostic theist). Speaking of Pascal's wager, I think that most creationists are really only creationists because they fear going to hell on the off chance it really exists.

Here's an analogy. Suppose somebody holds a gun to your head, asks you if the sky is green (semantically the same color as an ordinary tree leaf) and threatens to shoot you if you don't believe it is. Would you play along and 'believe' that the sky is green (despite the evidence that it isn't), or would you object? Most of us would probably do the former.

Now imagine there's a religion like Christianity that threatens you with something many orders of magnitude worse. The only difference is in this case, it's inherently unknowable whether or not this god exists and would do such a thing (strong agnostic standpoint). Most Christians are just ordinary people who have been forced to comply with the demands of someone who probably doesn't even exist. In fear of these potentially imaginary repercussions, they actively repel any sense of logic or critical thinking that they know will undermine their belief in their deity.

The thing about Pascal's wager is that it totally fails when there are multiple religions out there threatening you with the exact same thing. Pointing this fact out to them really helps many of them escape this world of delusional thinking.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

382 days +/-.
Ah very good
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:24 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
So, I'm guessing that everyone who posted on this thread is either atheist or at least agnostic (but not agnostic theist). Speaking of Pascal's wager, I think that most creationists are really only creationists because they fear going to hell on the off chance it really exists.

Here's an analogy. Suppose somebody holds a gun to your head, asks you if the sky is green (semantically the same color as an ordinary tree leaf) and threatens to shoot you if you don't believe it is. Would you play along and 'believe' that the sky is green (despite the evidence that it isn't), or would you object? Most of us would probably do the former.

Now imagine there's a religion like Christianity that threatens you with something many orders of magnitude worse. The only difference is in this case, it's inherently unknowable whether or not this god exists and would do such a thing (strong agnostic standpoint). Most Christians are just ordinary people who have been forced to comply with the demands of someone who probably doesn't even exist. In fear of these potentially imaginary repercussions, they actively repel any sense of logic or critical thinking that they know will undermine their belief in their deity.

The thing about Pascal's wager is that it totally fails when there are multiple religions out there threatening you with the exact same thing. Pointing this fact out to them really helps many of them escape this world of delusional thinking.
You're over analysing. Religionists are just nuts.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know...morons.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:39 am
Born again atheist

You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know...morons.
It's hard to believe that farmers wouldn't believe in evolution.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's hard to believe that farmers wouldn't believe in evolution.
Indeed, evolution is still going on.

The quote is from 'Blazing Saddles' but it seems to fit a lot of situations
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I'm not over-analyzing. I went to a super-religious Catholic junior-senior high school. Whenever you make valid arguments against Christianity, they use Pascal's wager as a last resort to convince you to believe in their religion.

I know this because I used to be super-religious out of fear of going to hell. Six years in a Catholic school made me go from being an agnostic to being somewhat of a religious wingnut. As soon as I learned more about other religions (and even more about science), my beliefs began to lean more towards agnostic theism and later pragmatic agnostic atheism. Personally, I KNOW that there's no such thing as an omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent, all-intelligent god. Any god that does exist would be missing at least one of these qualities in my opinion. I just don't need to force myself to believe in this religion out of fear anymore since I now have more knowledge about science, history, other theologies than I had previously known.

Last edited by bc_guy; Jun 15th 2014 at 3:49 am.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 6:55 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I'm not over-analyzing. I went to a super-religious Catholic junior-senior high school. Whenever you make valid arguments against Christianity, they use Pascal's wager as a last resort to convince you to believe in their religion.

I know this because I used to be super-religious out of fear of going to hell. Six years in a Catholic school made me go from being an agnostic to being somewhat of a religious wingnut. As soon as I learned more about other religions (and even more about science), my beliefs began to lean more towards agnostic theism and later pragmatic agnostic atheism. Personally, I KNOW that there's no such thing as an omnipotent, omniscient, benevolent, all-intelligent god. Any god that does exist would be missing at least one of these qualities in my opinion. I just don't need to force myself to believe in this religion out of fear anymore since I now have more knowledge about science, history, other theologies than I had previously known.
It's wrong that schools use the concept of hell to coerce young minds into belief. Well done on being able to rise above the bullshoot. Why stick to agnosticism, why not go whole hog and think there is no supernatural creator?
Old Jun 15th 2014, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I know some people who support Tottenham. Totally irrational and absolutely barmy, but I can still speak to them !
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shard
It's wrong that schools use the concept of hell to coerce young minds into belief. Well done on being able to rise above the bullshoot. Why stick to agnosticism, why not go whole hog and think there is no supernatural creator?
Assume that there's a scale from 0 to 100 where zero represents total theism (total belief in god) and 100 represents total atheism. All intermediate values represent the varying degrees of agnosticism (pure agnosticism, agnostic theism and agnostic atheism). My belief, which is pragmatic agnostic atheism basically gets a score of 99.99. I'm as good as an atheist since I don't believe there's a god, but since there's really no way of knowing for sure if I'm right or not, I'm still open to the possibility that I might be wrong. Only new evidence in the future can change my mind, if there is any. It's how science works, we consider all possibilities and never hold on to any one theory with absolute 100% certainty.

On the off chance there really is a god, then I don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be and therefore, it's not worthy of worship. Either this god is powerless to fix the numerous ongoing ills of the world, or it's apathetic and doesn't care (or might possibly be evil). Or maybe it's just not a very intelligent god for designing a universe that runs this way. With the advent of modern science, creationism and many of the myths in the bible can now be safely written off as absolutely preposterous. If there is a god, it sure isn't this one.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:38 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Assume that there's a scale from 0 to 100 where zero represents total theism (total belief in god) and 100 represents total atheism. All intermediate values represent the varying degrees of agnosticism (pure agnosticism, agnostic theism and agnostic atheism). My belief, which is pragmatic agnostic atheism basically gets a score of 99.99. I'm as good as an atheist since I don't believe there's a god, but since there's really no way of knowing for sure if I'm right or not, I'm still open to the possibility that I might be wrong. Only new evidence in the future can change my mind, if there is any. It's how science works, we consider all possibilities and never hold on to any one theory with absolute 100% certainty.

On the off chance there really is a god, then I don't think it's all that it's cracked up to be and therefore, it's not worthy of worship. Either this god is powerless to fix the numerous ongoing ills of the world, or it's apathetic and doesn't care (or might possibly be evil). Or maybe it's just not a very intelligent god for designing a universe that runs this way. With the advent of modern science, creationism and many of the myths in the bible can now be safely written off as absolutely preposterous. If there is a god, it sure isn't this one.
Well you're a bit more atheistic than Dawkins then, he's only 9/10 on that scale which would be 90.00%.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where is God even supposed to live? "Up in the sky" doesn't work any more. I saw an item on TV where a guy actually believed he had located Hell under a crack in a glacier, because funny groaning noises were coming from it
Old Jun 15th 2014, 4:17 pm
Yo

Where is God even supposed to live? "Up in the sky" doesn't work any more. I saw an item on TV where a guy actually believed he had located Hell under a crack in a glacier, because funny groaning noises were coming from it
I suppose a hundred years ago most of us would have been of similar views.

The claim I find most preposterous is the omniscience. You couldn't make it up oops, sorry it already has.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.