Creationists

Old Jun 14th 2014, 6:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Creationists

Originally Posted by Oink
You can sort of forgive them but those who trade in hocus pocus and exploit people's fears for their own gain are despicable.
Not sure if they are despicable. Either that are true believers (in which case they are innocent in their hocus-pocus trading) or they are businessmen who are simply providing a service to the gullible. There has to be some individual responsibility in all this.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:07 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Not sure if they are despicable. Either that are true believers (in which case they are innocent in their hocus-pocus trading) or they are businessmen who are simply providing a service to the gullible. There has to be some individual responsibility in all this.
Do you not find any form of fraud to be despicable? Is it all just business services for the gullible?
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Do you not find any form of fraud to be despicable? Is it all just business services for the gullible?
The line between personal responsibility and victim blaming is very political. You gotta be careful you don't fall foul of SJW's.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:17 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I think the French have this right, convicting Scientology for fraud.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I am unsure. I find most forms of fraud wrong, but somehow when it involves religion my sympathy evaporates. I don't find the dodgy business astrologers or palm readers do particularly despicable or even wrong. If you take a long view, the financial deceit that these organisations perpetrate will only lead to their eventual undoing, and that can't be a bad thing.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:34 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by Shard
I am unsure. I find most forms of fraud wrong, but somehow when it involves religion my sympathy evaporates. I don't find the dodgy business astrologers or palm readers do particularly despicable or even wrong. If you take a long view, the financial deceit that these organisations perpetrate will only lead to their eventual undoing, and that can't be a bad thing.
Astrologers and palm readers seem to be as much about entertainment as anything else. I do find the ambulance chasing side of things despicable, getting people while they are vulnerable, and people like Peter Popoff. Though how people buy in to him after his unmasking, I do not know.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 14th 2014 at 7:38 pm. Reason: he was not convicted, he was unmasked by Randi
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you worry about other people's belief systems ?
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:41 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by scot47
Education, health care, the right to life...little things like that.

The Iraq war may have not happened if it was not for a minority (but large) section of US citizenship wanting a war in the middle east to hasten Armageddon.
Climate change would not have so much opposition to recognizing its existence if it was not for the belief that God will not let it happen.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jun 14th 2014 at 7:48 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:42 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by scot47
Because their belief systems interfere with the smooth running of society.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 7:43 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problems with creationist believing what they believe.

However, the moment they start wanting it taught in schools, I'll be in there demanding the same re the flying spagetti monster and his noodly appendage on the basis of equal evidence of both.

Now anti-vaxers are a whole other story
Old Jun 14th 2014, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't mind people believing or not believing on religion and the stuff that goes a long with religion as long as it doesn't effect my ability to enjoy life, and they leave me out of it.

My sister turned into a really religious person (no clue why, we were not raised religious, and nobody in the family is) and it takes a lot of patience to talk to her sometimes because of it. Her beliefs and my beliefs conflict with one another, so we can't discuss it without some sort of argument.

I take the view of their might be a higher power and there might not be one, I don't know either way and can't prove it either way, so I just live life the way I want and not what a book says or a pastor etc says to live it.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 2:52 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Those zany creationists.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 2:58 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Oh my.

Food for thought that.

A-raping he will go
A-raping he will go
Ee-aye adio a-raping he will go.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 15th 2014 at 3:00 am.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think the French have this right, convicting Scientology for fraud.
Scientology is interesting. It's totally daft, but no more so than other religions, or so they successfully argued to get recognition and tax breaks in the USA.
Education, health care, the right to life...little things like that.

The Iraq war may have not happened if it was not for a minority (but large) section of US citizenship wanting a war in the middle east to hasten Armageddon.
Climate change would not have so much opposition to recognizing its existence if it was not for the belief that God will not let it happen.
Same-sex marriage and good old circumcision...
Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh my.

Food for thought that.

A-raping he will go
A-raping he will go
Ee-aye adio a-raping he will go.
Once again someone with no scientific understanding whatsoever gets airtime.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 3:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Once again someone with no scientific understanding whatsoever gets airtime.
Media balance, innit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.