Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

COVID is making me hate Canada

COVID is making me hate Canada

Old Oct 24th 2021, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond reputeMordko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: COVID is making me hate Canada

What does confuse me, and I'll fully admit to not doing even a quick google on it to find out, is why healthcare workers are refusing to be vaccinated,
Its a very small proportion. Every profession has inalienable right to have a few plonkers. Anti-vaxxing is particularly unfortunate among doctors. There were a couple in Ontario giving fake exemptions and spreading nonsense. Should have been banned from practicing.
Old Oct 24th 2021, 10:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mordko
Its a very small proportion.
We have two health authorities in NB. One has 12.5% completely unvaxxed and the other, 13%.

I wouldn't describe that as small especially considering the 'incentive' they are facing to get it done.

I saw 12% for government workers in the province the other day too.

This contrasts with 8.5% of the general (eligible) population unvaccinated.

What are people in other provinces seeing?
Old Oct 25th 2021, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
We have two health authorities in NB. One has 12.5% completely unvaxxed and the other, 13%.

I wouldn't describe that as small especially considering the 'incentive' they are facing to get it done.

I saw 12% for government workers in the province the other day too.

This contrasts with 8.5% of the general (eligible) population unvaccinated.

What are people in other provinces seeing?
I wonder what the percentage is for the absolute "anti vax" without question brigade? I would guess that some have what they would describe as valid reasons, these of course may be valid to them personally but seen as "an excuse" by others. Some will have strong religious beliefs, some may be unable to be vaccinated safely due to medical issues but i am sure some will be just totally against it which would seem odd considering the profession they are in.
Old Oct 25th 2021, 2:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
I wonder what the percentage is for the absolute "anti vax" without question brigade? I would guess that some have what they would describe as valid reasons, these of course may be valid to them personally but seen as "an excuse" by others. Some will have strong religious beliefs, some may be unable to be vaccinated safely due to medical issues but i am sure some will be just totally against it which would seem odd considering the profession they are in.
Yes, this was why I threw in the contrast with the general population. Unless the medical profession has a disproportionate number of people who "can't" get vaccinated - which seems unlikely - I'd imagine the % of medical personnel not being vaxxed to be lower than that of the general population.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
I got vaccinated to get the green pass to travel and go about my life...I don't think covid is as bad as "they" say, and clearly given Ontario's numbers the vaccine is not as effective as claimed. I support the vaccine but clearly it is not a fix-all solution, and I don't agree with it being mandated. People should have the right to choose. I chose to get vaccinated but I support people's choice to not get vaccinated also.

People can whine about how it's not a mandate but if people are being threatened with losing their jobs, and therefore their livelihood, if they do not get it then to me that is a mandate / use of force.

As said, anti-vax people are everywhere, not just Canada. If random people's opinions are making you hate a country then you should really re-evaluate your priorities. I have people in my life who are not vaccinated and it has no bearing on whether I hang out with them or associate with them. I really just don't care. Get vaccinated, don't get vaccinated...it doesn't affect me. I have my opinions and hunches but i'm not really qualified to say what is and isn't, and I don't really care to research the piss out of it. Keep calm and carry on and all that. And besides, I don't think it is mine or anyone else's business to ask people whether they are vaccinated or not. It's private information.
are you prepared to get 8 boosters to maintain your freedom of movement then?
Old Oct 28th 2021, 5:26 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
are you prepared to get 8 boosters to maintain your freedom of movement then?
You mean like the flu?🙄
Old Oct 28th 2021, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
You mean like the flu?🙄
no like every 6 months to keep your vaccine passport active...
Old Oct 28th 2021, 5:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Much less often than many other regular injections, like those for arthritis, cancer, macular degeneration etc. So it’s hardly a big deal.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 7:35 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

There’s been no suggestion that will be necessary.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 8:19 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'd rather catch a mild case of COVID than go through the vaccine side effects twice a year. My 3rd booster shot floored me for 24hrs.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I think I'd rather catch a mild case of COVID than go through the vaccine side effects twice a year. My 3rd booster shot floored me for 24hrs.
Last week we found out father in law in UK had COVID, he had been unwell and had temperature and tested positive. Not sure how he got it as he doesn't/can't go out but there are some visitors i believe. Anyway he is probably the worst person to get this he has a long list of medical issues, non Hodgkin's lymphoma, COPD, enlarged heart, he is over weight and has problems moving around due to age and a failed surgery some time ago which left him with mobility issues and a permanent catheter. This guy is a concern if he gets a cold and my wife was understandably concerned. Well today he facetimes and says he is feeling better and is over the worse. All of which just shows you that even people with serious medical problems can overcome this virus. And yes he has had all 3 shots so i'm sure that was a factor in him getting better.
We are of course hoping he stays ok now.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 3:54 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by printer
Last week we found out father in law in UK had COVID, he had been unwell and had temperature and tested positive. Not sure how he got it as he doesn't/can't go out but there are some visitors i believe. Anyway he is probably the worst person to get this he has a long list of medical issues, non Hodgkin's lymphoma, COPD, enlarged heart, he is over weight and has problems moving around due to age and a failed surgery some time ago which left him with mobility issues and a permanent catheter. This guy is a concern if he gets a cold and my wife was understandably concerned. Well today he facetimes and says he is feeling better and is over the worse. All of which just shows you that even people with serious medical problems can overcome this virus. And yes he has had all 3 shots so i'm sure that was a factor in him getting better.
We are of course hoping he stays ok now.
I hope he stays well, but COVID seems to induce a feeling better stage before a vast plummet downhill. An unvaccinated 60 something patient of ours was at day 14 and had been feeling better before being admitted to ICU.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 1:16 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I had covid back in May (2 days before my first vaccination appointment). Fit and healthy out walking dogs, riding my horse competitively type of person. It floored me for two weeks with my oxygen levels at 93%.
Now at the end of October I cant ride a whole hour without needing two days to stop feeling wiped out, like no energy at all. My smell and taste are still absent. My chest regularly feels like i have a two year old sitting on me. I took my horse to a cross country clinic for a weekend and rode the two days max 1.5 hours at a time with lots of sitting around and chatting in that timeframe. It took me a week to recover.

I would take all the boosters and all the shots to avoid this. I am hoping it gets better at some point.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 2:36 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I had covid back in May (2 days before my first vaccination appointment). Fit and healthy out walking dogs, riding my horse competitively type of person. It floored me for two weeks with my oxygen levels at 93%.
Now at the end of October I cant ride a whole hour without needing two days to stop feeling wiped out, like no energy at all. My smell and taste are still absent. My chest regularly feels like i have a two year old sitting on me. I took my horse to a cross country clinic for a weekend and rode the two days max 1.5 hours at a time with lots of sitting around and chatting in that timeframe. It took me a week to recover.

I would take all the boosters and all the shots to avoid this. I am hoping it gets better at some point.
OK you convinced me. I like tasting my food. Hope you get well soon
Old Oct 29th 2021, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily

Sorry to read you are have such a tough recovery from Covid. I’m with you…get all the shots you can.

Hope you reach 100% very soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.