Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

The country we left behind

The country we left behind

Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The country we left behind

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
To be fair (& viewed as a middle aged Marillion fan rather than my teenage self) the same could be said about most Marillion lyrics. Good tunes though,

With Carillion it was clearly a case of "Forgotten Sums"
Or "Clutching at Straws"
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Possibly true but that also means you wouldn't see anything as utterly priceless as this.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...4016710160.jpg

LOL yeah that one is a classic. The more light hearted side of drunken Brit behaviour. To be fair though thats any Friday Saturday night in any British city, Christmas is just a little busier.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:09 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
LOL yeah that one is a classic. The more light hearted side of drunken Brit behaviour. To be fair though thats any Friday Saturday night in any British city, Christmas is just a little busier.
Let's be honest though, it's harmless. Unfortunately a lot of behaviour in British cities on Friday and Saturday nights isn't and it's a big problem, largely caused by alcohol and drugs. The fact that the UK government took years to act on alternative substances like Spice and khat while most other similar countries outlawed and controlled them much more quickly speaks volumes. I would wager that the previously 'legal highs' did a lot of damage to Britain's growing homeless population and we'll be dealing with the consequences of that damage for years to come.

I enjoy a drink possibly more than most and there were occasions during my last stint in Canada when I went home from a house party or work function pissed out of my skull but even during the Christmas season I never saw the kind of dangerous and antisocial behaviour that the UK seems to struggle with.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:48 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Let's be honest though, it's harmless. Unfortunately a lot of behaviour in British cities on Friday and Saturday nights isn't and it's a big problem, largely caused by alcohol and drugs.

I enjoy a drink possibly more than most and there were occasions during my last stint in Canada when I went home from a house party or work function pissed out of my skull but even during the Christmas season I never saw the kind of dangerous and antisocial behaviour that the UK seems to struggle with.
It's culturally ingrained, and I guess not going away any time soon. Must be something to do with the miserable weather on these islands.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:50 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's culturally ingrained, and I guess not going away any time soon. Must be something to do with the miserable weather on these islands.
I've always been intrigued to know how it became so culturally ingrained and almost expected. It's always been there since before I was born tbh.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:56 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I've always been intrigued to know how it became so culturally ingrained and almost expected. It's always been there since before I was born tbh.
It's been there since Hogarth. Maybe even the Vikings! Russia is a bit like that too, I believe.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:56 pm
Sidecar Falcon

It's been there since Hogarth. Maybe even the Vikings! Russia is a bit like that too, I believe.
I imagine Russia is far, far worse.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 5:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

One of my brothers was a bit of a hooligan and more. In those days it was generally a Friday night/Saturday night thing.

He used to be weekly paid and after the weekend he used to borrow from me, having blown his wages, to get through to next payday which was Thurs/Fri.

My "night out" (other than the pub or cinema) was on a Wednesday (or Tuesday for a time) when Tiffany's in Bristol had its heavy night...although it was more a hippies night rather than heavy metal head shaking. There weren't many nights of this type back then - well, there weren't any others at all if truth be told.

It meant we had to keep money back from our weekly pay for the whole week to be able to do it. My theory was this generated a more responsible attitude - although maybe we were just peaceful hippie types.
Anyway, during my last few years in the UK, it seemed that the old "any UK town on a Friday or Saturday night" had become any night of the week.

Why the change? Maybe because people were paid monthly rather than the end of the week and there was no longer a pattern as to when people were most loaded with cash?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just a regular Friday night I Newcastle I think.
It was Glasgow. He's just a Rangers fan.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

llysmabley is an unknown quantity at this point

I see problems ahead for Canada post marujana legislation, especially on the roads
Looking at the drug problem in the UK and USA, I imagine most of the hard drug users started on pot and worked their way up to oblivion. Making that first step legal can only lead to more hard core cases in the future.
What then ?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 6:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llysmabley
I see problems ahead for Canada post marujana legislation, especially on the roads
Looking at the drug problem in the UK and USA, I imagine most of the hard drug users started on pot and worked their way up to oblivion. Making that first step legal can only lead to more hard core cases in the future.
What then ?
You're not in Canada, are you?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You're not in Canada, are you?

One would suspect not............
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy

One would suspect not............
S/hes aso younger than us, I think.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 10:20 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
S/hes aso younger than us, I think.
Not a very exclusive club.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:17 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llysmabley
What then ?
One of the arguments for legalising marijuana is that by doing so users won't have to mix with evil pushers and the like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.