Bill C46

Old Dec 6th 2018, 3:33 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bill C46

Part II of Bill C-46

Part II of Bill C-46, which will come into force on December 18, 2018, will allow police to conduct roadside breath alcohol testing, without having suspicion of alcohol consumption, when a motorist is lawfully stopped by police.

why not just call it random stop n search or “carding lte” Lol

Sneeky
Old Dec 6th 2018, 3:45 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bill C46

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Part II of Bill C-46

Part II of Bill C-46, which will come into force on December 18, 2018, will allow police to conduct roadside breath alcohol testing, without having suspicion of alcohol consumption, when a motorist is lawfully stopped by police.
why not just call it random stop n search or “carding lte” Lol Sneeky

Because they're still supposed to have a reason to pull you over; dirty license plate, tail light out, regular seatbelt/stopcheck,etc. Guess I'll go grab a handfull of snow and clean off my plate.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Part II of Bill C-46

why not just call it random stop n search or “carding lte” Lol

Sneeky
It had been going on for years prior to us leaving the UK and it amazed me that Canadian police were not able to do so. If it prevents impaired drivers from driving, I have no issue with it.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 3:54 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker

Because they're still supposed to have a reason to pull you over; dirty license plate, tail light out, regular seatbelt/stopcheck,etc. Guess I'll go grab a handfull of snow and clean off my plate.
Random roadside breath testing

Starting in December (180 days after Royal Assent), police can require a roadside breath test for any driver. The crucial change is they will no longer need reasonable suspicion the person has been drinking. Drivers who refuse this test face a criminal charge with similar penalties to an impaired driving conviction.

This provoked heated debate during the Senate’s study of Bill C-46, as lawyers and civil liberties groups argued it violated the Charter’s protection against unreasonable searches. There is also concern it will disproportionately affect minorities due to racial profiling

Car Carding could be another term for it Lol

bring it on, let’s catch the gun and gang guys too

Last edited by magnumpi; Dec 6th 2018 at 3:56 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 4:07 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Random roadside breath testing

Starting in December (180 days after Royal Assent), police can require a roadside breath test for any driver. The crucial change is they will no longer need reasonable suspicion the person has been drinking. Drivers who refuse this test face a criminal charge with similar penalties to an impaired driving conviction.

This provoked heated debate during the Senate’s study of Bill C-46, as lawyers and civil liberties groups argued it violated the Charter’s protection against unreasonable searches. There is also concern it will disproportionately affect minorities due to racial profiling

Car Carding could be another term for it Lol

bring it on, let’s catch the gun and gang guys too

Got that, it was on the news. They still need a reason to pull you over. They might even start making everybody take a swab just to test and train on their new dope detectors.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 4:30 pm

Got that, it was on the news. They still need a reason to pull you over. They might even start making everybody take a swab just to test and train on their new dope detectors.
Ah ok, odd then the uproar regarding the stopping anyone
Old Dec 6th 2018, 4:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They should not be allowed to test for alcohol or such without reasonable suspicion that someone has been drinking, pulling over for something legit is fine, but if the police have no reasonable suspicion that the person is drunk or has been drinking they should not be allowed to conduct the test.

Giving police too much power these days.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 4:56 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
They should not be allowed to test for alcohol or such without reasonable suspicion that someone has been drinking, pulling over for something legit is fine, but if the police have no reasonable suspicion that the person is drunk or has been drinking they should not be allowed to conduct the test.

Why not?
Making drunk driving socially unacceptable, in whatever way is necessary, is a good thing. I frankly don't give a shit about the "rights" of drivers in this situation. If you haven't been drinking, breathe into the machine, register a zero, and move on. If you have had too much to drink to be driving a car, let's follow up C46 with some properly life-disrupting penalties for driving drunk. If a driver runs the risk of utterly ruining another family's life by getting behind the wheel when impaired, then he (or she) should also run the risk of license suspension, vehicle confiscation, and other financial and/or custodial penalties that wreck their or their family's life at least for a little while.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 5:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Testing is fine if police have legitimate reasonable suspicion to do so, slippery slope in my view.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 6th 2018 at 5:03 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 5:01 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

What about the usual roadblocks they put up at Christmas and the vehicle inspection stations they throw up at random all year long? They pull everyone over. I just get my license and registration out right away and keep my hands in sight.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

What about the usual roadblocks they put up at Christmas and the vehicle inspection stations they throw up at random all year long? They pull everyone over. I just get my license and registration out right away and keep my hands in sight.
But they are not testing people unless they have reasonable suspicion to do so. Its the testing without the police having any reasonable suspicion at all that is my issue.

I am not going to argue this, my opinion differs and it's not worth debating all day....

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 6th 2018 at 5:17 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 5:27 pm

But they are not testing people unless they have reasonable suspicion to do so. Its the testing without the police having any reasonable suspicion at all that is my issue.

I am not going to argue this, my opinion differs and it's not worth debating all day....
I sort of get what Smithy is saying, what if you had a joint the night before ? It maybe in your system but not have any lasting cognitive effects

drink can can usually be smelled on the breath
Old Dec 6th 2018, 5:33 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

I guess we'll find out what happens when the challenges start hitting the courts.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 6:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

They don't ask for license or registration here. They just lean in the window and say "have you had anything to drink today, Sir?". If you say "no" and they don't smell anything they say something like "thank you for your time" and off you go. It's done in an instant. There are, however, always loads of cars parked to one side waiting for the tow truck.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dbd33
They don't ask for license or registration here. They just lean in the window and say "have you had anything to drink today, Sir?". If you say "no" and they don't smell anything they say something like "thank you for your time" and off you go. It's done in an instant. There are, however, always loads of cars parked to one side waiting for the tow truck.
Yeah I have never been asked here for a licence, its basically the same, have you been drinking tonight, where are you going while another officer looks through windows, takes maybe 20-30 seconds in total.

As you say though always cars parked on the side with people sitting on the curb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.