British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Christmas TV and Radio (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/christmas-tv-radio-889188/)

BristolUK Dec 24th 2016 10:55 pm

Christmas TV and Radio

I was looking at the BBC xmas TV schedules the other day.

Repeats of Dad's Army and Vicar of Dibley. Couple of comedy shows involving people I'd not heard of - no surprise there having been away over 12 years - but that's no reason to be critical. And Eastenders at peak time.

Also Tracey Ullman but I can't work out if that's old too or not. There's reference to an Angela Merkel bit and "some new stuff" but given how long ago TU first came to attention and then disappeared, I'd have thought Merkel was new.

Anyway, I just had a feeling that no effort has been made to make it different to,say, any Saturday night.

So I took a look at the Radio 4 line up and if you look at the names of the shows, there seems little change from 15 years ago, other than different guest appearances.

But it actually looked a good thing, as if some effort had been made because these shows stood out on the scheduling then and still look as if they do now.

I've not looked at Canadian TV scheduling over xmas lately. I used to but it never really stood out. All the effort (if you can call Rudolph, Miracle, Wonderful, Polar etc as effort) seemed to be in the two weeks leading up to it.

Stinkypup Dec 24th 2016 10:59 pm

Re: Christmas TV and Radio

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12136221)
I was looking at the BBC xmas TV schedules the other day.

Repeats of Dad's Army and Vicar of Dibley. Couple of comedy shows involving people I'd not heard of - no surprise there having been away over 12 years - but that's no reason to be critical. And Eastenders at peak time.

Also Tracey Ullman but I can't work out if that's old too or not. There's reference to an Angela Merkel bit and "some new stuff" but given how long ago TU first came to attention and then disappeared, I'd have thought Merkel was new.

Anyway, I just had a feeling that no effort has been made to make it different to,say, any Saturday night.

So I took a look at the Radio 4 line up and if you look at the names of the shows, there seems little change from 15 years ago, other than different guest appearances.

But it actually looked a good thing, as if some effort had been made because these shows stood out on the scheduling then and still look as if they do now.

I've not looked at Canadian TV scheduling over xmas lately. I used to but it never really stood out. All the effort (if you can call Rudolph, Miracle, Wonderful, Polar etc as effort) seemed to be in the two weeks leading up to it.

No Morcambe and Wise? :confused:

Teaandtoday5 Dec 24th 2016 10:59 pm

The real question is 'is there a call the midwife Christmas special?'

Stinkypup Dec 24th 2016 11:22 pm

Dr Who Christmas special :thumbup:

BristolUK Dec 25th 2016 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12136223)

I believe I saw it in the listings for tonight but I don't know if it's a xmas special.

BristolUK Dec 25th 2016 1:16 pm

The women of the house have been watching White Christmas on xmas eve most years since I don't know when and then we added Love Actually since I introduced them to it.

But time flies by so quickly these days that it feels like we see them every few months and that's just too often.

So last night we tried something different and watched Trading Places (which I've not seen in years) and Scrooged (ditto).

Oddly enough I didn't remember them as being that good but they seem to get a mention in nearly every top ten xmas movies list.

Atlantic Xpat Dec 25th 2016 2:34 pm

http://cdn1-www.craveonline.com/asse...-christmas.jpg

BristolUK Dec 25th 2016 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat (Post 12136383)

Take your pick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjFA...g#t=201.697979

One embedded one not. Haven't a clue why? Both done identically.

Tootlepootle Dec 26th 2016 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12136223)

Yes there was, Im planning to watch it this evening!

Teaandtoday5 Dec 26th 2016 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 12136840)
Yes there was, Im planning to watch it this evening!

Watched yesterday! Am sure it won't count as a spoiler to say that I was my usual blubbing mess. :o

I also watched bake off and strictly, but as I didn't watch bake off or ctmidwife before coming to Canada I refuse to take this as a sign that I have failed to integrate. :nod:

Ooh just found 'Outnumbered' for tonight.

BristolUK Jan 4th 2017 12:57 am

Christmas Day TV ratings fall to lowest on record

BBC’s Call the Midwife topped ratings but UK audience of 9.2 million was smallest for most watched show since records began

GC44 Jan 6th 2017 12:10 pm

The new Sherlock was worth the wait.

BristolUK Dec 3rd 2017 12:24 pm

This year

Highlight might be Doctor Who.

Tootlepootle Dec 4th 2017 3:27 am

Call the Midwife Christmas Day!!!

dave_j Dec 4th 2017 5:42 am

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle (Post 12393631)
Call the Midwife Christmas Day!!!

I hope she delivers.... I'm expecting her to.... but she's probably got the day off....