Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

A Christmas mystery/can you solve?

A Christmas mystery/can you solve?

Old Dec 24th 2017, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice
Default A Christmas mystery/can you solve?

While you are munching on a mince pie please, as the situation is driving me nuts, give a thought to my predicament.

I have an unwelcome visitor in my apartment. Can't turf 'him' out because I don't know where 'he' is. I call him Mr Beep. For two weeks and no idea from whence it came, in my small apartment, I have a very audible beep sounding off day and night at any time, with any frequency and what is even worse with varying decibels. It disturbs my sleep and irritates my days. It could be a tracking device and location seems to be at the entrance to my apartment but I cannot see anything suspicious. The problem is I don't know what I am looking for or how to locate it. Any ideas or do I spend Christmas and 2018 with this noise? Any suggestions will be very gratefully received to say the least. Thank you all so much for taking the time to read this. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 3:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Christmas mystery/can you solve?

If it's recent, most likely it is a smoke detector on the ceiling or high up on a wall telling you the battery needs changing.

If it's more long standing, something to do with telephone/internet installation equipment maybe. Ours beeps occasionally but it's down in the basement.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 4:21 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
If it's recent, most likely it is a smoke detector on the ceiling or high up on a wall telling you the battery needs changing.

If it's more long standing, something to do with telephone/internet installation equipment maybe. Ours beeps occasionally but it's down in the basement.
I would agree with the smoke detector battery warning, they are very ANNOYING.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Carbon monoxide detectors can do that, too.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

allegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really niceallegra is just really nice

Originally Posted by BristolUK

Oh so clever, it was exactly that a beep to tell me to change battery in smoke detector. I feel such an idiot for not working that out for myself. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know. I now have silence. The flipping thing was keeping me awake at night. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I would agree with the smoke detector battery warning, they are very ANNOYING.
Thank you. Yes, smoke detector was the culprit. Silly me. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarkG
Carbon monoxide detectors can do that, too.
Yes, smoke detector was beeping non stop. Thank you. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

If I have missed out anybody who has been kind enough to reply then thank you all.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

The low battery warning is generally heard at the coldest part of the night usually (in my experience) 3 or 4 in the morning. This is (apparently) because a run down battery can function when it is warmer but emits the warning noise when it's colder. I suppose there's more opportunity for it to hit the threshold in the winter and beep more often.

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 24th 2017 at 8:48 pm.
Old Dec 24th 2017, 9:19 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
The low battery warning is generally heard at the coldest part of the night usually (in my experience) 3 or 4 in the morning. This is (apparently) because a run down battery can function when it is warmer but emits the warning noise when it's colder. I suppose there's more opportunity for it to hit the threshold in the winter and beep more often.
They make the especially like that to keep you from sleeping. If there's a fire in the middle of the night and the battery's run down then it pays to be awake.

Or.. what I've just said could be rubbish and fake news....
Old Dec 24th 2017, 9:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allegra
Oh so clever, it was exactly that a beep to tell me to change battery in smoke detector. I feel such an idiot for not working that out for myself. Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know. I now have silence. The flipping thing was keeping me awake at night. Happy Christmas and Happy New Year.
Good news. It's recommended to change them when the clocks change...easy to remember then without the beeping.

Happy peaceful nights.
Old Dec 25th 2017, 2:41 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allegra
I now have silence. The flipping thing was keeping me awake at night.
As in you took the batteries out, or replaced them?

Ours are hard wired, so never run out!
Old Dec 25th 2017, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine were in the UK but aren't here. But hard wired ones have a battery back up in case of a power cut so you still have the same issues.
Old Dec 25th 2017, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Mine were in the UK but aren't here. But hard wired ones have a battery back up in case of a power cut so you still have the same issues.
Old Dec 25th 2017, 10:53 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I once partook in one of the most devious beeps you could imagine. You can get christmas cards that play carols in beeps when opened. As an added bonus you set the date and they go off on christmas day. Anyway, we were working in the home of the original scrooge. A pkasterer took the insides of the card, placed in plastic bag and plastered it into this guys living room wall... Apparently it started on christmas day and lasted about a month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.