Christmas Bonus.

Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:24 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Bonus.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Interesting point you make about Passport Canada.
So lets say it went over to the private sector would it be then profit based or just merely cost recovery?
Would the passports still be printed in Canada or farmed out overseas to the lowest bidder. Would their call center be located in Canada or India?
What do you think a passport would cost?
Would the integrity and security of this system still be in place?
Would the service of renewals be any quicker?
With the right regulations - sure. Sell yearly passport printing licences; specify a minimum set of standards. Fine/punish lapses - ultimately leading to revocation of the licence/prison. Ideally, you'd have competing issuers. Don't like acme passport ltd, well use somebody else.

I'm not advocating this btw; issuing passports isn't a particularly big deal and it seems reasonable that it's something the government should do. I don't know how much a passport costs in Canada, but over a persons lifetime the savings aren't going to amount to very much.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

When I worked in the public sector in the UK, I was responsible for Compulsory Competitive tendering which then became Best Value. I was also involved in Public Private Partnerships. Much of it was smoke and mirrors and manipulating statistics, especially those around public sector borrowing.

These initiatives made a few people rich at the expense of the public purse and some lower paid public sector workers. It brought a level of curruption and collusion that did not exist before. I saw bags of cash being handed over by contractors to dishonest workers and dishonest workers being fired only to be brought back for double the money as contractors.

With all these regulations, rules, standards, prolicies and procedures you also have to have staff to write them and monitor the contractors as they were always trying to find ways to get around their obligations. I was a monitoring officer for a while in a local authority and much of our work was duplicated, but it was not in our interest to focus on things like that.

The private sector is not necessarily better or cheaper.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:47 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
When I worked in the public sector in the UK, I was responsible for Compulsory Competitive tendering which then became Best Value. I was also involved in Public Private Partnerships. Much of it was smoke and mirrors and manipulating statistics, especially those around public sector borrowing.

These initiatives made a few people rich at the expense of the public purse and some lower paid public sector workers. It brought a level of curruption and collusion that did not exist before. I saw bags of cash being handed over by contractors to dishonest workers and dishonest workers being fired only to be brought back for double the money as contractors.

With all these regulations, rules, standards, prolicies and procedures you also have to have staff to write them and monitor the contractors as they were always trying to find ways to get around their obligations. I was a monitoring officer for a while in a local authority and much of our work was duplicated, but it was not in our interest to focus on things like that.

I don't think that public private partnerships are in any way indicative of how the private sector works. I really don't like them as they always have the effect of handing over tax payers money to friends of those in government.

Something should be either in the private or public sector. When you try to mix them (like with PPP) you just end up with corruption and greed. There might be good examples of them working, but I can't think of any.

Originally Posted by britsnake
Whether or not the private sector is better depends on the industry. Healthcare, policing, teaching are all better in public hands imo. Less so booze
Old Dec 12th 2012, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

In my previous job I used to get a performance bonus and a Christmas bonus.

It ranged from $1500-5000 during my time there.

Current job I doubt i'll get anything other than the christmas party.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Prospector is an unknown quantity at this point

No bonus here either.

Any gift baskets are returned to sender in order to maintain clarity/avoid ethics issues. One or two sometimes don't make it to the post office for a variety of reasons. These somehow end up in the boss' office. Last year a co-worker and I were made to return Leafs tickets for our section that were provided by a contractor. That was a morale crusher.

We have an office party that we have to pay admission to, and will only be held if the bosses grant us the time to hold it. So far enough folks haven't bought into the party so it looks like it will be scrapped for lack of funds/support.

I am hosting a department party at my house for the dozen or so cubicle-dwellers surrounding me. Its tomorrow night. So far all supplies have come from the LCBO. Not feeling very inspired to come up with much else for appies/food, so if you have suggestions...

When I was in private consulting, annual bonus was usually a week's pay and a voucher for a turkey at the local Safeway. Some years more, some years less. Company Christmas due involved professional entertainers at a local club booked for the night. Invite list included all employees and clients. A fleet of town cars & limos was booked for the night to be sure you got home safe. It was a good party.

Funny that now I do the same job, but the environment is so different.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Prospector
No bonus here either.

Any gift baskets are returned to sender in order to maintain clarity/avoid ethics issues. One or two sometimes don't make it to the post office for a variety of reasons. These somehow end up in the boss' office. Last year a co-worker and I were made to return Leafs tickets for our section that were provided by a contractor. That was a morale crusher.

We have an office party that we have to pay admission to, and will only be held if the bosses grant us the time to hold it. So far enough folks haven't bought into the party so it looks like it will be scrapped for lack of funds/support.

I am hosting a department party at my house for the dozen or so cubicle-dwellers surrounding me. Its tomorrow night. So far all supplies have come from the LCBO. Not feeling very inspired to come up with much else for appies/food, so if you have suggestions...

When I was in private consulting, annual bonus was usually a week's pay and a voucher for a turkey at the local Safeway. Some years more, some years less. Company Christmas due involved professional entertainers at a local club booked for the night. Invite list included all employees and clients. A fleet of town cars & limos was booked for the night to be sure you got home safe. It was a good party.

Funny that now I do the same job, but the environment is so different.
Do you work for a government organisation?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit
Do you work for a government organisation?
Yes Arthur, I made the switch about 3 years ago. I am regretting it more and more all the time.

Slagging of Gov't workers aside, employee ownership in a well-directed company easily beats the Gov't pension I am looking at. ROI on shares in the consultancy I was part of beat out OPSEU gains handily. Stress is far higher, rewards fewer, hours longer, and professionalism and respect non-existant. Lately I've been thinking of going back to private sector, but it will be difficult to transition back in my field, unless I want to drop down to a technical position. For me that would be a big step backwards.

Add me to the disgruntled masses, I guess. Its getting to be time to make some decisions.

Anyway - back to Christmas glee. Hope your party is fantastic!
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:01 pm

Slagging of Gov't workers aside, employee ownership in a well-directed company easily beats the Gov't pension I am looking at.
Defined benefit is almost always better than defined contribution. Aren't most public sector jobs the former, while private sector is generally the latter.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes Arthur, I made the switch about 3 years ago. I am regretting it more and more all the time.

Slagging of Gov't workers aside, employee ownership in a well-directed company easily beats the Gov't pension I am looking at. ROI on shares in the consultancy I was part of beat out OPSEU gains handily. Stress is far higher, rewards fewer, hours longer, and professionalism and respect non-existant. Lately I've been thinking of going back to private sector, but it will be difficult to transition back in my field, unless I want to drop down to a technical position. For me that would be a big step backwards.

Add me to the disgruntled masses, I guess. Its getting to be time to make some decisions.

Anyway - back to Christmas glee. Hope your party is fantastic!
Which sector do you work in?

I only ask this because most of the 'Hydros' are our clients and we obviously can not gift people who work in their ranks.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Defined benefit is almost always better than defined contribution. Aren't most public sector jobs the former, while private sector is generally the latter.
The way it worked in the private corp was that the corp matched every share you bought with a freebie. Basically a 2-for-one deal, so you had to pony up $10,000 to buy a share, but you got $20,000 of the company in publicly traded stocks. Thats hard to beat, even as a taxable benefit, if you can afford to take advantage of it. Value of the shares rose considerably when the company was bought out by a US firm.

Added to that, we had a weekly contribution plan to a self-directed RRSP, so you could put in as much as you wanted with the company matching contribs up to 5% of your payscale. This was the non-taxable portion. I have lost on the RRSP year-over year to the point that now I would be ahead had I stuffed that cash under my mattress.

Sadly, the stocks were cashed out with the sale of the company, reinvested in the RRSP which lives on. Had I stayed on with the new owners group, I could have bought into their corp on a similar plan, but I had trust issues at the time (and still do).

I work in transportation engineering. Think of me at your next red light.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The way it worked in the private corp was that the corp matched every share you bought with a freebie. Basically a 2-for-one deal, so you had to pony up $10,000 to buy a share, but you got $20,000 of the company in publicly traded stocks. Thats hard to beat, even as a taxable benefit, if you can afford to take advantage of it. Value of the shares rose considerably when the company was bought out by a US firm.

Added to that, we had a weekly contribution plan to a self-directed RRSP, so you could put in as much as you wanted with the company matching contribs up to 5% of your payscale. This was the non-taxable portion. I have lost on the RRSP year-over year to the point that now I would be ahead had I stuffed that cash under my mattress.

Sadly, the stocks were cashed out with the sale of the company, reinvested in the RRSP which lives on. Had I stayed on with the new owners group, I could have bought into their corp on a similar plan, but I had trust issues at the time (and still do).

I work in transportation engineering. Think of me at your next red light.
Ahh! you're one of them.

My company dabbles in that also lol.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Well, my company WAS better than your company IS. I just wish my company still existed!

You aren't with CIMA+ are you? They look very appealing to me.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well, my company WAS better than your company IS. I just wish my company still existed!

You aren't with CIMA+ are you? They look very appealing to me.
I am they have been okay with me so far.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Good on Ya. Who knows maybe I'll go over that way. Their nearest office is a little far for me is all that holds me back. I don't want an hour long commute again.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good on Ya. Who knows maybe I'll go over that way. Their nearest office is a little far for me is all that holds me back. I don't want an hour long commute again.
Which province are you in? I only ask cause there's around 30 offices in Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.