British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Christine Keeler ........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/christine-keeler-906567/)

scilly Dec 6th 2017 3:37 am

Christine Keeler ........

anyone remember her, or has heard of her??

Caused major political scandal in the UK back in the 1960s

Died 4 December 2017, age 75

caretaker Dec 6th 2017 4:54 am

Re: Christine Keeler ........

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 12394667)
anyone remember her, or has heard of her??
Caused major political scandal in the UK back in the 1960s
Died 4 December 2017, age 75

Yes. and in Canada we had Gerda Munsinger, "I can't go to sleep without my bedtime Tory."

black swan Dec 6th 2017 5:23 am

Yes, she was big news back in the early sixties. Also Mandy Rice Davies. I did not know she had died. Perhaps it's not news worthy in Australia. I remember that she wrote a book about her life & came to Australia to promote it. The interviewers were very tough with her & she looked uncomfortable, insisting she was just a young girl looking for a fun time.

Oink Dec 6th 2017 6:14 am

Originally Posted by black swan (Post 12394686)
Yes, she was big news back in the early sixties. Also Mandy Rice Davies. I did not know she had died. Perhaps it's not news worthy in Australia. I remember that she wrote a book about her life & came to Australia to promote it. The interviewers were very tough with her & she looked uncomfortable, insisting she was just a young girl looking for a fun time.

My mum went to the same school as her, in Birmingham.

scrubbedexpat142 Dec 6th 2017 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 12394696)
My mum went to the same school as her, in Birmingham.

Well, "she would say that, wouldn't she"!

Shard Dec 6th 2017 10:25 am

I've heard of her. I believe her photo on a chair was considered rather risque, back in the day. Oh how times have changed.

Souvy Dec 6th 2017 1:56 pm

I know who she was. I've had lunch at Cliveden. Rather posh.

dave_j Dec 6th 2017 3:56 pm

Life not so hard at the top in those days. Profumo dead aged 91, but his partners in rumpy died aged, Mandy 70 and now Christine 75, no age at all today for women.

I have to say that scandals like this did take your mind off the fact that nuclear armageddon was just 4 minutes away.

Sorry to see her go.

Paul_Shepherd Dec 6th 2017 4:47 pm

I remember the movie Scandal about the Profumo affair... thought it was a good take on it all, although it all happened before my time, but remember my mom saying it was pretty accurate portrayal.

Almost Canadian Dec 6th 2017 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 12394940)
I remember the movie Scandal about the Profumo affair... thought it was a good take on it all, although it all happened before my time, but remember my mom saying it was pretty accurate portrayal.

Was your mum Kristine or Mandy?

Paul_Shepherd Dec 6th 2017 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 12394945)
Was your mum Kristine or Mandy?

You spelt Christine wrong. :sneaky:

daveincolchester Dec 8th 2017 2:20 am

I was a teenager when this happened.
A few years ago a newspaper article showed a picture of her and described her lifestyle.
She was living on welfare and hadn't, worn well.
Around the same time, there was an article in the news about her former friend, Mandy Rice Davies.
She had done well for herself, with a successful marriage and successful bar in Spain.
Funny world.

007Steve Dec 16th 2017 2:57 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Just doing the decent thing....
Sharing the credit....
Giving the limelight to those who deserve it....

plasticcanuck Dec 16th 2017 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by 007Steve (Post 12400734)
Just doing the decent thing....
Sharing the credit....
Giving the limelight to those who deserve it....

There’s a suggestion/Innuendo in the show The Crown that Philip had a connection to the Profumo affair, that he knew Stephen Ward and had attended weekend country estate parties with that gang. Of course The Crown is awash with truths, lies and conjecture.

007Steve Dec 16th 2017 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 12400746)
There’s a suggestion/Innuendo in the show The Crown that Philip had a connection to the Profumo affair, that he knew Stephen Ward and had attended weekend country estate parties with that gang. Of course The Crown is awash with truths, lies and conjecture.

.... Well, if the curious tale of the London art dealer is ever shown to have credence it could be more.
Following Ward's suicide his estate was found to be in debt owing to the trial costs. Now, apart from his other failings, Ward was a decent artist and regularly sketched and painted those he met. His collection was put into the hands of an art dealer to raise funds, but because of the scandal the dealer found selling any part of it difficult, until about 18 months later when a man walked off the street, paid the (then) enormous amount of £2,000 in cash for the entire lot, loaded them in a vehicle and departed.
It is claimed that the man was the personal equerry of the said personage. Who knows what the collection showed..... because not one has been seen since.