Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:51 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Or we can all hold hands and ask, "WWFSMD?"
Originally Posted by bazzz
Serve them up on a sacrilicious bed of linguini.
And sung to the tune of kumbaya
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:52 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletashy
I prefer Elephants and they're about to be culled in some place in africa and no one hears anything about that...there not going to be eaten or used for clothing,,just shot and killed, personnally I find that more barbaric than making seal pie and feeding/clothing the kids.
On a culling note they stopped a cull of starving Kangaroos in Canbarra Aus and they're already dying....It happens all the time for all sorts of reasons you just hear about the fluffy seals cos there fluffy!
It depends how motivated one is to educate oneself in these matters; I have made it my business to learn all I can about animal welfare and cruelty. Unfortunately activities such as those you have mentioned fail to make the headlines as they don't capture the public's attention in the same way.....most people find a seal pup more attractive than an elephant.

In the recent case of Shannon Matthews, the child who went missing and was later found in her uncle's house, it has been suggested that there wasn't the same extensive publicity as that used in the Madeleine McCann case, because Shannon comes from a working class background and isn't as pretty as middle-class Madeleine. There was an interesting debate concerning this on the Jeremy Vine show recently. Now I'm probably going to screamed at for making that analogy, but it is a similar situation.....the more attractive something is, the more sympathy is likely to be engendered......human nature.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Or we can all hold hands and ask, "WWFSMD?"
May we be touched by his noodly appendage.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 1st 2008 at 6:57 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
.....the more attractive something is, the more sympathy is likely to be engendered......human nature.

Seals vs. horses.

Seals vs. chickens.

Seals vs. calves.

I don't think seals are compellingly prettier. It's just the photogenic nature of red blood splattering on white ice that sells their cause.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:00 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Now thats animal cruelty - Iain how could you
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

We're having bison for dinner tonight. No idea if little bison are pretty.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:01 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Actually I agree, the more attractive animals are the more publicity they do get...doesn't make it right... As for the kids there was something more sinister going on with the Shannon matthews case,which is why she still hasn't gone back into her mothers arms....I dont think it has anything to do with how pritty the family is

Last edited by Littletashy; Apr 1st 2008 at 7:02 pm. Reason: bad gramma
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:05 pm
Fluffy Dippindoodle

pinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond reputepinkmcfarquhar has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as a vegetarian living in Newfoundland here goes!

When looking into moving here the seal hunt was one thing that worried me. However, after doing a wee bit of research on the internet it seems that for every site that is against it, you can find a site that is for it. As always, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle - it's not as bad as some animal rights organisations make out, alternatively not as harmless as pro-sealers make out.

In my humble opinion coming from a farming/fishing area of north-east scotland - it is always valuable when people make use of the natural resources available. For example, over farming of soya products has also caused destruction - which causes more damage dairy farming or soya farming? Great harm is being done to our environment by the creation of artificial resources/replacements for natural products.

I have genuine respect for people like judy and oldbag who know what they are taking about and understand fully the choices they make and live their lives according to them, I feel that there is a significant proportion of people who think the seal hunt is a bandwagon to jump on along with drinking wheatgrass juice/avoiding dairy/eating any oil/bean/fruit Dr Poo (mckeith) promotes or that posh spice eats. Next month they will probably be eating bread with seal oil added as they are told it is good for them.

I have leather handbags, wear leather shoes, don't eat meat, buy organic/fair trade when I can, but am generally happy with the choices I have made and I respect the choices others make whether I agree with them or not.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
I have leather handbags, wear leather shoes, don't eat meat, buy organic/fair trade when I can, but am generally happy with the choices I have made and I respect the choices others make whether I agree with them or not.
Do you see "organic" as refering strictly to the method of production or do you think of it as a broader category, a sort of political correctness for carrots, per Lord Melchett?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:15 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
We're having bison for dinner tonight. No idea if little bison are pretty.
I guess you could call them cute, but you have to remember it's the big 'uns your eatin'.

Note: Not one of my better photographic efforts.
Attached Thumbnails Canadians and the Seal Hunt...-img_6323w.jpg  
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I guess you could call them cute, but you have to remember it's the big 'uns your eatin'.

Note: Not one of my better photographic efforts.
That's got my gastric juices going.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:26 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletashy
Actually I agree, the more attractive animals are the more publicity they do get...doesn't make it right... As for the kids there was something more sinister going on with the Shannon matthews case,which is why she still hasn't gone back into her mothers arms....I dont think it has anything to do with how pritty the family is

The point I was making was regarding the way the media handled the case prior to her being found.............not the sinsiter aftermath. The two cases were compared on the Jeremy Vine show, the general feeling being the obvious differences in the two families, and the physical appearance of the children concerned.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:31 pm
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by pinkmcfarquhar
Well, as a vegetarian living in Newfoundland here goes!

When looking into moving here the seal hunt was one thing that worried me. However, after doing a wee bit of research on the internet it seems that for every site that is against it, you can find a site that is for it. As always, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle - it's not as bad as some animal rights organisations make out, alternatively not as harmless as pro-sealers make out.

In my humble opinion coming from a farming/fishing area of north-east scotland - it is always valuable when people make use of the natural resources available. For example, over farming of soya products has also caused destruction - which causes more damage dairy farming or soya farming? Great harm is being done to our environment by the creation of artificial resources/replacements for natural products.

I have genuine respect for people like judy and oldbag who know what they are taking about and understand fully the choices they make and live their lives according to them, I feel that there is a significant proportion of people who think the seal hunt is a bandwagon to jump on along with drinking wheatgrass juice/avoiding dairy/eating any oil/bean/fruit Dr Poo (mckeith) promotes or that posh spice eats. Next month they will probably be eating bread with seal oil added as they are told it is good for them.

Well said! As I said earlier....iaink and I agree to disagree; I respect his views, as I hope he would respect mine......I don't like to shove my opinions down anyone's throat, so to speak, but will wade in when I feel I have a valid point to make.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:39 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by oldbag
The point I was making was regarding the way the media handled the case prior to her being found.............not the sinsiter aftermath. The two cases were compared on the Jeremy Vine show, the general feeling being the obvious differences in the two families, and the physical appearance of the children concerned.

The kids would look different, one was a sweet angelic looking 3 year old the other was an awkward looking 9 year old with wonky teeth, which is how most 9 year olds look. you cannot equate the two, should we care less for the teenagers who go missing from care homes or the Goth woman who got kicked to death, because she wears black eye shadow......no we shouldn't people cannot be put in the same box as animals... we can make choices they cannot and therefore have to have us as there ambassadors whatever they look like!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:47 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.