Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Dinner is at the diner and I just woke up (again).
I know, you sleep too much. The last time I boiled the eggs you said they were hard. Well what do you expect when you tell me you want soft boiled eggs with toast then fall back to sleep! Christ amighty woman!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:56 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve666
I know, you sleep too much. The last time I boiled the eggs you said they were hard. Well what do you expect when you tell me you want soft boiled eggs with toast then fall back to sleep! Christ amighty woman!

Egads! Eggs! Soft boiled!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:59 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
"Wrong life can not be lived rightly" - Adorno (helps me)
Didn't have a clue, but google helped me....
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:45 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eve N
I've been watching the BBC reports on the seal hunts which have just started.Talk about it to just about anyone and most of us Europeans find it hard to stomach.

What is the average Canadians attitude to these hunts and indeed
the way it is carried out? Does it get much media atention? Do they talk about it?
Every bloody year we have this discussion

Yes, the seals look soooo cute all white and cuddly (not that those are the ones "harvested" for want of a better word). Ooooh isnt the blood so RED against the snow.Have you ever looked inside an abattoir. Its not pretty.

Its unfair to judge how other people have to make a living, and the seal hunt ultimately comes down to local economics. The seals are a natural resource. like fish, or lobsters if you like. They are not in any short supply or endangered etc, in fact if numbers are not controlled then you could argue that there is a danger of more widespread harm due to reduced fish numbers resulting in starvation for the seals. I dont buy that, I just see them as a cash crop that the maritimers are no less entitled to exploit than catching lobsters or codfish.

I'm told there are good practical reasons for the way the harvest is done, Ive no reason to doubt that, and in general its no more or less humaine that what happens in other processing plants all over the world. Its just an emotive image, and you have to get past that.

Perhaps its more socially acceptable to rear seals in high density captivity, then pack them on trucks and drive them for hours (perhaps in wide(r) eyed terror) to a centralised killing facility so they can be humainely killed out of the glare of the public eye with a single blow to the head from a captive bolt... Oh, hang on they are killed by a single blow to the head.....

In short there is no pretty way to kill something. Our society tends to hide this necessary unpleasantness behind closed doors, so perhaps we should welcome the openess of the seal hunt rather than rile against it.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 31st 2008 at 3:04 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:48 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Every bloody year we have this discussion

Yes, seals look soooo cute all white and cuddly. Ooooh isnt the blood so RED against the snow.

Have you ever looked inside an abatoir. Its not pretty. If you are not a vegan, then you have no leg to stand on judging the seal hunt.
Seals dont have legs
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:52 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink;
If you are not a vegan, then you have no leg to stand on judging the seal hunt.

Is this another tasteless reference to the former Mrs. McCartney?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:54 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I did wonder - but decided to stay "on topic"
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:01 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Not a conscious one. Maybe someone should just post a link to that thread and we can be done with it again for this year? Im sure it will come up again next year though
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:14 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Im sure it will come up again next year though
And the year after that, and the year after that...
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:43 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

People will do what they want - it is that simple. So if they club baby seals to death then they will carry on doing it and no amount of reading wine labels to see if it contains grapes or what have you is going to change that.

Being a vegan /nearly vegan or vegitarian, does not make anyone holier than thou, and as I said above won't change what some see as a cruel pastime for want of a better word.

Judy is right with her first statement (as usual!) so basically accept that it happens here or shut up.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:51 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
People will do what they want - it is that simple. So if they club baby seals to death then they will carry on doing it and no amount of reading wine labels to see if it contains grapes or what have you is going to change that.

Being a vegan /nearly vegan or vegitarian, does not make anyone holier than thou, and as I said above won't change what some see as a cruel pastime for want of a better word.

Judy is right with her first statement (as usual!) so basically accept that it happens here or shut up.
I think there are 2 problems / issues

1 - the seal pups look cute - if some one was killing rats there probably would be considerably less indignation.

2 - Could you kill / vegetarianism - I know I could not kill an other mammal at present to eat it - however, flies etc are different and I dont know how I would react if I was left in the jungle or summat and had to sutvive - would I live on nuts and berries or would the sutvival instinct kick in and I would be just about to wretsle a wart hog to the floor and sink my teeth in when the cavalry arrive!

any way thats my 2p's worth

i just dont like cruelty thats all - if its deemed necessary to kill seals, or any other mammal, fish, bird (not the flies!!) it should be done humaley even if that costs a bit more in time, money and or man power.

ok will get of my soap box now and shut up

Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I think there are 2 problems / issues

1 - the seal pups look cute - if some one was killing rats there probably would be considerably less indignation.

2 - Could you kill / vegetarianism - I know I could not kill an other mammal at present to eat it - however, flies etc are different and I dont know how I would react if I was left in the jungle or summat and had to sutvive - would I live on nuts and berries or would the sutvival instinct kick in and I would be just about to wretsle a wart hog to the floor and sink my teeth in when the cavalry arrive!

any way thats my 2p's worth

i just dont like cruelty thats all - if its deemed necessary to kill seals, or any other mammal, fish, bird (not the flies!!) it should be done humaley even if that costs a bit more in time, money and or man power.

ok will get of my soap box now and shut up

Where are you on kosher and halal foods?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:55 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by dbd33
Where are you on kosher and halal foods?
dont normally eat them as am cofe
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:07 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
2 - Could you kill
Sorry but yes I could, and have. This kinda reminds me of HWP's thread about the Christian guys, people who percieve them selves to be better are always trying to persuade others round to their way of thinking.

Eg Non smokers, Religious nutters, veggies, animal rights lib etc etc the list goes on.

My point will remain, I will continue to do what I do, baby seal clubbers will continue to do what they do if people don't like it, its very simple DON'T WATCH IT!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:29 pm
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Sorry but yes I could, and have. This kinda reminds me of HWP's thread about the Christian guys, people who percieve them selves to be better are always trying to persuade others round to their way of thinking.

Eg Non smokers, Religious nutters, veggies, animal rights lib etc etc the list goes on.

My point will remain, I will continue to do what I do, baby seal clubbers will continue to do what they do if people don't like it, its very simple DON'T WATCH IT!
Boy! am I sorry I started this threat,just wanted to know what the Canadians think about it.I think one person answered... not alot.
Now I'll go away

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.