Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:30 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Originally Posted by oldbag
Judging by this comment you obviously haven't read the link I provided, which is fine, but don't make rash comments. Veal is NOT "just beef slaughtered....".

If anyone is interested in learning about the lives of animals raised on farms, read Jeffrey Moussieff Masson's book "The Pig Who Sang to the Moon"
Yes i did read the link but you are missing my point.veal is a term to describe beef from a calf.Think lamb as apposed to mutton.you are fixated with the crate production system which is not the whole industry. I see you are a vegetarian but are you also a vegan? If not maybe you should consider that milk cows require a calf every year of which 50% will be male (you can't milk the boy ones) and as they come from dairy stock they are not suitable for beef stock.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:33 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Yes i did read the link but you are missing my point.veal is a term to describe beef from a calf.Think lamb as apposed to mutton.you are fixated with the crate production system which is not the whole industry. I see you are a vegetarian but are you also a vegan? If not maybe you should consider that milk cows require a calf every year of which 50% will be male (you can't milk the boy ones) and as they come from dairy stock they are not suitable for beef stock.
Not neccessarily - due to the delights of medical science - the female cows are artificially inseminated with semen that has been genetically modified to reudce the number of male calves to a minimum - and you still want to drink the milk and eat the meat
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:27 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
I am a vegetarian who doesn't use dairy milk or cheese, but I eat eggs occasionally, therefore I am not strictly a vegan. I stopped using dairy milk many years ago when I learned about the horrors of the dairy milk industry. I have been vegetarian for more than half my (quite) long and healthy life....and no, I am not "fixated with the crate production system", what I am concerned about is ANY form of cruelty to animals, no matter how many legs they have, or don't have.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:05 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
I am a vegetarian who doesn't use dairy milk or cheese, but I eat eggs occasionally, therefore I am not strictly a vegan. I stopped using dairy milk many years ago when I learned about the horrors of the dairy milk industry. I have been vegetarian for more than half my (quite) long and healthy life....and no, I am not "fixated with the crate production system", what I am concerned about is ANY form of cruelty to animals, no matter how many legs they have, or don't have.
You go girl
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:07 pm
Happy here..

Eve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud ofEve N has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Well, you won't want to eat any meat when you move to Canada, then.

A cow that lives with 100,000 other cows in a feed lot or a chicken that lives in a barn with 10,000 other chickens lives in conditions of sheer hell.

While you're about it, better not wear any leather or wool either. It's quite a feat to accomplish in Canada. I've actually tried it.

Your other option, if you eschew leather, is to buy cheap, synthetic shoes and handbags. The problem with them, unfortunately, is that they're made in Third World countries, in sweat shops, and often with child labour.

Have you heard about the ships on which live Australian sheep are sent to the Middle East, when they've finished producing wool, so that they can be slaughtered by methods that are consistent with the requirements of Muslims' halal rules? Something like 80% of the world's wool comes from Australia and, if you buy anything made of wool, you're almost certainly supporting that industry.

Don't wear anything made of down either. Geese are plucked 4 or 5 times during their lifetimes, and it's a very painful process for them.

Silk is out, of course. It's painful for silk worms to be boiled to death.

A fish suffers when it's harvested, either with a painful hook or drawn out of the water with a net. The feeling it has when it comes out of the water is the equivalent feeling that we get when we're held under water.

Then there is human encroachment on natural habitat that deprives species of their livelihood. Have you witnessed the violence that's involved when humans go in and tear up a natural space (by plowing it for agriculture or whatever)? I have, and I can tell you it's not a pretty picture.

Then there's unnecessary animal testing of cosmetics, drugs, etc.

The military establishments of many countries also carry out very cruel testing on animals. The USA, for example, has subjected tens of thousands of primates to various conditions, such as radiation sickness, in an attempt to predict how long humans could continue to operate planes, tanks, etc., under a variety of circumstances.

Your husband is a chef. I hope he doesn't use veal and foie gras in his cooking. Clubbing a seal pup to death is humane by comparison.

If you have a shred of internal consistency, you'll at least pay three times as much and buy free range chicken and beef when you move to Canada.
x
Yes my husband is a chef and I didnt not marry him because he uses Fois gras and Veal,he is kind and gentle, a fantastic husband and one of the best fathers around, so this might make up for him having to use these products in his chosen trade.I believe a am informed and aware of what goes on around me in terms of cruelty to animals and could write pages too on what I know goes on in this sometimes cruel and unfair world we live in.I boycott many things due my beliefs am a member of Friends of the earth,WWF and am a vegetarian,buy free range,organic and fair trade products.Having said that I dont believe I need to justify what I do in regards to animal welfare I didnt even mention in my post my personal feelings I simply wanted to know what most canadians are talking about over there at the moment concerning the hunts.I could go on but I won't... I am far too angry with your harsh and personal comments to my harmless post.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eve N
.... I simply wanted to know what most canadians are talking about over there at the moment concerning the hunts.
I haven't heard them mentioned at all here, at work or on the radio/TV.

No that's not true, I heard on the radio about the boat capsizing and those 4 men drowning. I do have to admit my initial thought was unsympathetic .... but then I told myself I was being uncharitable, and people had lost husbands, sons, fathers etc as in any loss of life ..... A sad accident as any other.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Animals don't have rights, they're not subject to laws.
Human laws. Let's be specific on this.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Human laws. Let's be specific on this.
Is there an International Court of Bovine Rights? Can pigs articulate the concept of freedom? I think not, they have no laws.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an International Court of Bovine Rights? Can pigs articulate the concept of freedom? I think not, they have no laws.
That was the point I was making. See, lost in translation.
Just like most other stuff on, well, here.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:35 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Well, you won't want to eat any meat when you move to Canada, then.

A cow that lives with 100,000 other cows in a feed lot or a chicken that lives in a barn with 10,000 other chickens lives in conditions of sheer hell.

While you're about it, better not wear any leather or wool either. It's quite a feat to accomplish in Canada. I've actually tried it.

Your other option, if you eschew leather, is to buy cheap, synthetic shoes and handbags. The problem with them, unfortunately, is that they're made in Third World countries, in sweat shops, and often with child labour.

Have you heard about the ships on which live Australian sheep are sent to the Middle East, when they've finished producing wool, so that they can be slaughtered by methods that are consistent with the requirements of Muslims' halal rules? Something like 80% of the world's wool comes from Australia and, if you buy anything made of wool, you're almost certainly supporting that industry.

Don't wear anything made of down either. Geese are plucked 4 or 5 times during their lifetimes, and it's a very painful process for them.

Silk is out, of course. It's painful for silk worms to be boiled to death.

A fish suffers when it's harvested, either with a painful hook or drawn out of the water with a net. The feeling it has when it comes out of the water is the equivalent feeling that we get when we're held under water.

Then there is human encroachment on natural habitat that deprives species of their livelihood. Have you witnessed the violence that's involved when humans go in and tear up a natural space (by plowing it for agriculture or whatever)? I have, and I can tell you it's not a pretty picture.

Then there's unnecessary animal testing of cosmetics, drugs, etc.

The military establishments of many countries also carry out very cruel testing on animals. The USA, for example, has subjected tens of thousands of primates to various conditions, such as radiation sickness, in an attempt to predict how long humans could continue to operate planes, tanks, etc., under a variety of circumstances.

Your husband is a chef. I hope he doesn't use veal and foie gras in his cooking. Clubbing a seal pup to death is humane by comparison.

If you have a shred of internal consistency, you'll at least pay three times as much and buy free range chicken and beef when you move to Canada.
x
Sobering thoughts Judy..... We all have our ideals, but when challenged can we truly uphold them??? Whether we like it or not we are what we are....

Last edited by purple80; Mar 31st 2008 at 12:57 am.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:38 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by purple80
Sobering thoughts Judy..... We all have our ideals, but when challenged can we truly uphold them???

"Wrong life can not be lived rightly" - Adorno (helps me)
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
A writer of fortune cookie inserts?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Oh so this is where you are, where's the bloody dinner!!!

A bit of cheese and a cracker does not constitute a daily meal. I'm going back to Ottawa.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:44 am

A writer of fortune cookie inserts?

He also wrote on the backs of boxes of Cocoa-Puffs back in the 70s.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by steve666
Oh so this is where you are, where's the bloody dinner!!!

A bit of cheese and a cracker does not constitute a daily meal. I'm going back to Ottawa.

Dinner is at the diner and I just woke up (again).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.