Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:25 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canadians and the Seal Hunt...

Originally Posted by dbd33
Animals don't have rights, they're not subject to laws.
Alot of criminals dont think they are subject to laws either but they get rights lol

( in the tone of not biting )
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanah
Alot of criminals dont think they are subject to laws either but they get rights lol

( in the tone of not biting )

Criminals have rights because they're human.

More to the point, animal cruelty is condoned in Canada, it's part of the culture and whole industries (e.g. PMU farms, horse slaughter) flourish here and in Mexico because animal cruelty is acceptable here in a way that it's not the US. Canada is an odd destination for someone concerned about a few furry creatures getting their heads bashed in.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

xxalxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Criminals have rights because they're human.

More to the point, animal cruelty is condoned in Canada, it's part of the culture and whole industries (e.g. PMU farms, horse slaughter) flourish here and in Mexico because animal cruelty is acceptable here in a way that it's not the US. Canada is an odd destination for someone concerned about a few furry creatures getting their heads bashed in.
Now I am not one to usually add anything to discussions like this, but just to clarify a bit of what the OP is on about, here in the UK, SKY news is running daily broadcasts from the ice shelves with the seals and hunters on, showing them in 2 different styles....

1. Man walks up to seal and bashes/shoots the seal dead and then does what is needed.
2. Man walks up to bunch of seals, bashes them all about, and then whilst they are still alive skins a few (whislt alive) and then leaves half of them to just suffercate in there own blood.

Now I am a fully paid up member of the "animals are there for us to eat ... pass the next cow" brigade, but sometimes when you see #2 above you have to wonder about the morals of things.

Lucky for you about the McCartneys i was in LIPA yesterday, and its full of the McCartney'esque looneys

Al
Old Mar 29th 2008, 5:13 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

. Canada is an odd destination for someone concerned about a few furry creatures getting their heads bashed in.
Sounds like rather a strange thing to say - just because i dont like animals suffering cruelty! you mean there are NO Canadaian people who disagree with Animal cruelty?
Was kinda hoping it wouldnt be a part of the daily conversation or on my job description - item 12 - you must be tolerant of canadians who agree with animal cruelty.

I am tolerant of any persons opinions - even those who agree with animal cruelty - just because i dont agree with it shouldn't exclude me from coming to canada??? just seems such a drastic statement to make .

I get the feeling its something you feel strongly about - as do I so i shall bow out of this conversation gracefully before it becomes one i dont want to be involved in - as i have said in previous posts - this discussion is like discussing religion and politics people have strong opinions - i dont expect to change yours and i presume you dont expect to change mine therefor there is no point in debating or getting wound up
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:58 pm
yeah....I can do that !

Marathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Eve N
Yeah ,its just how its done.When you look at the world around you and see how other so called 'thirdworld 'cultures kill it is always done with so much respect and thought concerning the animal.Was watching Ray Meers Bushcrafts. He was in Africa watching a 3 tribal hunters track a kudo all day long,the animal just gave up in the end and laid down he just couldnt run any longer,it was killed but so humanly.. the hunter sat down next to it and thanked it for dying for him, it made me cry not because it lost its life but there was so much respect in those final seconds between animal and man.. it was peaceful.

No peace out there on the ice.
During my latest trip to Africa (I work there) I had to sit and watch helpless(still on the aircraft) as several young guys chased and then beat to death a dog ,using rocks, sticks etc..That animal did not die easy. No stories in the 'international press' , no uproar....just business as usual .....for there. You would not believe the 'average' attitude towards any animals out there.
At the end of the day we / the press etc. pick and choose what 'we' find objectionable.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 7:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanah
I get the feeling its something you feel strongly about
Not really, no. Some countries are tolerant of animal cruelty, some less so, there's no bullfighting here but there are rodeos, foxhunting, all manner of things that might be frowned upon in England. I don't get excited about any of it.

It does however seems to me to be morally inconsistent to assert that animal related concerns are important to you and then to move to a place where they are generally not much thought of. I'd be a bit disconcerted if Brigit Bardot or the legless McCartney moved to Canada.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Good news for the McCartney's...

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/407162

Seals 4 Club-wielding-heathen-Canadians 0
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

But the Europeans are oh so sophisticated
But they like veal & Fois Gras
Old Mar 29th 2008, 8:51 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just ask -

why do they cull the seals?? is it cos they eat too many fish if left to get to adult hood??

do they carry a lif threatening disease?

do they need the seals for food?

just asking as a layman?

all the media seems about the inhumnaity of it but wondered why they do it to start with!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:00 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Cull is a misleading term. Harvest or Hunt is more correct.

Seals are harvested primarily for their pelts, which are valued as fur in some countries. As a byproduct some meat is sold for human consumption but not much, & seal oil is used as a source of Omega 3,

The hunt is an emotive subject and it is unlikely that any individual is going to have their point of view changed by logic and reason. Not when pictures of cute whitecoats (no longer hunted), men with clubs (most seals are shot) and the full PR might of Greenpeace, PETA, The Seashepherd society etc etc is brought to bear. It's a valuable fund raising tool for most of these organisations.

I'm ambivalent about the hunt per se. I think there are far more important things to worry about in the world. Factory farming is far more harmful to animals but most of us don't care about that so why pick the hunt as an issue?

I'm also not a fan of people from somewhere else telling people from another part of the world how to live their lives. Whether thats Newfoundland sealers or kids in Africa beating a dog to death.

Finally, one could argue that Seal as a fur is a more environmentally sustainable product than Goretex & Nylon. It was a hoot watching Heather Usedtobe McCartney brandishing her PVC boots with glee a couple of years ago on Larry King Live whilst bigging up her eco-friendliness.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/200...d-3fd0ae9.html
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Finally, one could argue that Seal as a fur is a more environmentally sustainable product than Goretex & Nylon. It was a hoot watching Heather Usedtobe McCartney brandishing her PVC boots with glee a couple of years ago on Larry King Live whilst bigging up her eco-friendliness.
Just the one boot, shirley?
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:17 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arris
But they like veal & Fois Gras
Veal is a misconception, they are not bred for meat consumption so therefore if female cow produces a male offspring they either go when young, or else they would have little economic value. Not all veal is stuck in a crate it depends where/how you buy.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:24 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Well, you won't want to eat any meat when you move to Canada, then.

A cow that lives with 100,000 other cows in a feed lot or a chicken that lives in a barn with 10,000 other chickens lives in conditions of sheer hell.

While you're about it, better not wear any leather or wool either. It's quite a feat to accomplish in Canada. I've actually tried it.

Your other option, if you eschew leather, is to buy cheap, synthetic shoes and handbags. The problem with them, unfortunately, is that they're made in Third World countries, in sweat shops, and often with child labour.

Have you heard about the ships on which live Australian sheep are sent to the Middle East, when they've finished producing wool, so that they can be slaughtered by methods that are consistent with the requirements of Muslims' halal rules? Something like 80% of the world's wool comes from Australia and, if you buy anything made of wool, you're almost certainly supporting that industry.

Don't wear anything made of down either. Geese are plucked 4 or 5 times during their lifetimes, and it's a very painful process for them.

Silk is out, of course. It's painful for silk worms to be boiled to death.

A fish suffers when it's harvested, either with a painful hook or drawn out of the water with a net. The feeling it has when it comes out of the water is the equivalent feeling that we get when we're held under water.

Then there is human encroachment on natural habitat that deprives species of their livelihood. Have you witnessed the violence that's involved when humans go in and tear up a natural space (by plowing it for agriculture or whatever)? I have, and I can tell you it's not a pretty picture.

Then there's unnecessary animal testing of cosmetics, drugs, etc.

The military establishments of many countries also carry out very cruel testing on animals. The USA, for example, has subjected tens of thousands of primates to various conditions, such as radiation sickness, in an attempt to predict how long humans could continue to operate planes, tanks, etc., under a variety of circumstances.

Your husband is a chef. I hope he doesn't use veal and foie gras in his cooking. Clubbing a seal pup to death is humane by comparison.

If you have a shred of internal consistency, you'll at least pay three times as much and buy free range chicken and beef when you move to Canada.
x
You're right, Judy, it is quite a feat, and much more difficult in Canada than in the UK, but it can be done.....I have been a vegetarian for over thirty years, do not wear leather, wool or silk. There are many pitfalls, many of which you have listed.........toothpaste contains animal by-products as do many biscuits, ice-creams and yogurts. I'm that annoting woman in the supermarket who reads all the ables of new products! Yes, I know it's eccentric, but I like to think I do nothing to contribute to the misery of the animals with whom we share this planet.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:24 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
You're right, Judy, it is quite a feat, and much more difficult in Canada than in the UK, but it can be done.....I have been a vegetarian for over thirty years, do not wear leather, wool or silk. There are many pitfalls, many of which you have listed.........toothpaste contains animal by-products as do many biscuits, ice-creams and yogurts. I'm that annoting woman in the supermarket who reads all the ables of new products! Yes, I know it's eccentric, but I like to think I do nothing to contribute to the misery of the animals with whom we share this planet.
oooh you sound like me - checking that the wine is veggie too!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.