Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

& Canadians moan about gas prices here!

& Canadians moan about gas prices here!

Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice
Default Re: & Canadians moan about gas prices here!

Originally Posted by iaink
The climate plays havoc on rotors I think, that and the salt. Hard for brakes to take sudden heat from sitting overnight at -20some, they seem to warp alot here, but maybe thats Subaru specific. I dont think being on the brakes at the lights while in "D" puts any significant wear on them, but the lack of engine breaking in an auto must add to the work load.
That reminds me of a college lecture who asked us when I was a bit younger if we sit on the brake or get biting point at traffic lights. The class was split approximately in half. We asked him what he did and he said that he did neither but took the car out of gear and used the handbrake. It was some time ago but perhaps he had a point.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
That reminds me of a college lecture who asked us when I was a bit younger if we sit on the brake or get biting point at traffic lights. The class was split approximately in half. We asked him what he did and he said that he did neither but took the car out of gear and used the handbrake. It was some time ago but perhaps he had a point.
I can recall doing an advanced driving course donkeys years ago where the advice was to put the handbrake on rather than sit holding on the footbrake. That way if you are hit from behind there is no possibility of your foot coming off the brake and you shooting forward out of the junction into the path of the oncoming juggernaut! Similarly, when turning right across a carriageway, don't sit there with your wheels turned already as if hit from behind you don't want to be catapaulted across the carriageway into the path of said oncoming truck.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I can recall doing an advanced driving course donkeys years ago where the advice was to put the handbrake on rather than sit holding on the footbrake. That way if you are hit from behind there is no possibility of your foot coming off the brake and you shooting forward out of the junction into the path of the oncoming juggernaut! Similarly, when turning right across a carriageway, don't sit there with your wheels turned already as if hit from behind you don't want to be catapaulted across the carriageway into the path of said oncoming truck.
That's what they also told us at the speed awareness course that I attended last year (in lieu of getting 3 points for doing 35 in a 30 mph zone).
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:24 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
Petrol / Diesel / Gasoline is a necessity. You might argue that you can chose to drive but it still effects you.
You forget (or ignore?) the downside of cheap fuel.... people start to feel comfortable with monstrous vehicles , and with building subdivisions with zero consideration for public transport. For example, I live in a typical modern development of detached homes, and I swear that I have neighbours who have never crossed the end of their driveway on foot. The idea of walking to the neighbourhood school or supermarket is a completely alien concept for them.

And let's not get 'holier-than-thou' about this with Brits, because most of them are lazy bastards too... if fuel prices in the UK were at Canadian/US/Middle East levels, people would use their cars more, or choose to live further away from their work.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Forget cars, some years ago in UK I had a boat which was fitted with a large johnson (fnar fnar) outboard of 1987 vintage. Designed in the era of really cheap fuel, this 150HP V6 2 stroke could consume Tesco's finest unleaded at a truly prodigious and frightening rate. Rising fuel prices would have put paid to that but fortunately the thing expired and we replaced it with a more modern fuel efficient unit.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Apr 14th 2010 at 3:50 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Forget cars, some years ago in UK I had a boat which was fitted with a large johnson (fnar fnar) outboard on 1987 vintage. Designed in the era of really cheap fuel, this 150HP V6 2 stroke could consume Tesco's finest unleaded at a truly prodigious and frightening rate. Rising fuel prices would have put paid to that but fortunately the thing expired and we replaced it with a more modern fuel efficient unit.
Likewise, a neighbours offspring had a prodigious mercruiser, even ten years ago (50c/liter?) it used to cost in excess of $400 to bring the 100km or so from Kingston to Trenton! Running a boat is a sure sign you earn too much money!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Forget cars, some years ago in UK I had a boat which was fitted with a large johnson (fnar fnar) outboard of 1987 vintage. Designed in the era of really cheap fuel, this 150HP V6 2 stroke could consume Tesco's finest unleaded at a truly prodigious and frightening rate. Rising fuel prices would have put paid to that but fortunately the thing expired and we replaced it with a more modern fuel efficient unit.
I've owned a couple of ski-boats. They both had 6L inboard engines, fortunately they'd been converted to LPG so it wasn't too expensive even though the 80L tank wouldn't last very long.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Johnson now make an incredibly fuel efficient two stroke engine these days. Worst I ever encountered was a bit of a shagged out Yamaha 115hp tw-stroke that would cost about $70 an hour.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:20 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I've owned a couple of ski-boats. They both had 6L inboard engines, fortunately they'd been converted to LPG so it wasn't too expensive even though the 80L tank wouldn't last very long.
My last boat was this:

200hp Outboard, 60 gallon fuel tank. Solent to Channel Islands in about 2hrs and 70 quid.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Oink
Johnson now make an incredibly fuel efficient two stroke engine these days. Worst I ever encountered was a bit of a shagged out Yamaha 115hp tw-stroke that would cost about $70 an hour.
Oh yes, Ficht RAM injection and all that good stuff. Merc's version is Optimax and Yam's is HPDI. Plus of course most large outboards have also gone 4 stroke.

The old school carb'd V6, Variable Ratio Oil (VRO) injection outboard was powerful but as I say thirsty? Not half.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:24 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

My last boat was this:

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n...ticXpat/bi.jpg

200hp Outboard, 60 gallon fuel tank. Solent to Channel Islands in about 2hrs and 70 quid.
That's actually not too bad. Still, I'm done with boat owning - if I need one in the future I'll rent it.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

That's actually not too bad. Still, I'm done with boat owning - if I need one in the future I'll rent it.
Yes, A modern 2 stroke outboard on a RIB will burn around a litre a mile which isn't too bad. Particularly if you get some friends together to share the fuel bill! Sadly, boat ownership went by the board after moving to Canada, fuel cost or no fuel cost.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:29 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with there. A big black hole plus moorage. Luckily enough HID's brother has lots of boats so there's never a shortage of one to whip about on English Bay and Howe Sound.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm with there. A big black hole plus moorage. Luckily enough HID's brother has lots of boats so there's never a shortage of one to whip about on English Bay and Howe Sound.
I'll bring a few tinnies in exchange for some of that.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Oh really? I've never paid more than $1,200 for insurance here with fully comp $3m liability cover. It's easily equivalent to the cover I had in the UK. More expensive, yes, but nowhere near to the degree you're suggesting is typical.

Who are these 'people in BC' ?
I paid around 2,400 a year in BC for full coverage up to 1 million, 500 deductible. 10 years experience driving, accident and ticket free.

In Alberta it was 50% cheaper then BC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.