Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Old Jan 18th 2018, 12:41 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
From my experience of Canada, I can't imagine them ever being able to automate everything tbh. It's a largely service based economy these days as well rather than a manufacturing one.
It's a resource based economy. Bring your hard hat!

Automation will seep into everything, especially service based industries like finance, insurance, law.

Aren't you at least going to stay in Japan for the Olympics?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 12:56 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
It's a resource based economy. Bring your hard hat!

Automation will seep into everything, especially service based industries like finance, insurance, law.

Aren't you at least going to stay in Japan for the Olympics?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Canada

The economy of Canada is a highly developed mixed economy with 10th largest GDP by nominal and 17th largest GDP by PPP in the world. As with other developed nations, the country's economy is dominated by the service industry, which employs about three quarters of Canadians.[22]
Last time I was there I don't remember seeing a single hard hat unless a guy working on one of the office buildings I was working in was wearing it.

And if I didn't bother with the London Olympics I'm not sure why I would bother with the Tokyo ones either tbh.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 1:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Canada

Last time I was there I don't remember seeing a single hard hat unless a guy working on one of the office buildings I was working in was wearing it.

And if I didn't bother with the London Olympics I'm not sure why I would bother with the Tokyo ones either tbh.
I imagine a lot of the people working in your office building were in resource companies. Wood, oil, water, minerals, that kind of thing. You don't literally have to wear a hard hat to be in the industry! Canada has a different economic basis than UK or Japan.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 1:06 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine a lot of the people working in your office building were in resource companies. Wood, oil, water, minerals, that kind of thing. You don't literally have to wear a hard hat to be in the industry! Canada has a different economic basis than UK or Japan.
Not in my building they weren't but I'm sure those people exist.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 1:45 pm
Yo

Not in my building they weren't but I'm sure those people exist.
Who is the guy in your avatar?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:16 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Who is the guy in your avatar?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bae_Yong-joon

Don't ask why, it's a bit of a long story.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:26 pm
Yo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bae_Yong-joon

Don't ask why, it's a bit of a long story.
First I thought it was you He kind of looks like an Asian Mike Myers
Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:09 pm
Sidecar Falcon

First I thought it was you He kind of looks like an Asian Mike Myers
He's very popular with the middle aged Japanese soap watching housewife crowd.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Politics, not impossible to do though. You take water, use it, treat it and return it to the river. I could look to see the population of red deer, but I won't bother, I wonder if it would qualify as a small town in uk, it is still 100 miles to either Calgary or Edmonton. Balzac will be the next burb of Calgary and then it will be Ardrie, the rapid growth along the qe2 is astonishing.
Water is politics. The whole reason Calgary is such a large municipality is because of the water allocation from the Bow River, so it grows and annexes the smaller towns because that's the only way growth can occur as the smaller towns don't have the water. Chestermere managed to figure out a way of getting enough water to stop that from happening and Okotoks had a development limit for a long time but somehow managed to wangle more water, can't remember how.

The main sources of water are the Athabasca River, the Saskatchewan River, the Red Deer River, the Bow and Elbow Rivers and the Oldman River - and guess what, that's where all the major towns in Alberta are.

Last time I checked, I seem to recall the maximum population limit for Alberta was estimated at 6 million based on the availability of potable water.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 11:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
The number is actually 310,000 this year, 320,000 next year, and 340,000 in 2020. Totalling 970,000 over 3 years.

Last year, it was 300,000. Not really plucked out of the air, and this year's number is a 0.03% increase over last year's numbers, it'll be a 0.03% increase next year and a 0.06% increase in 2020.
So if you theoretically could fit 3 million more people into the Fraser Valley, if they all moved there, the valley would be full in less than a decade.

Like I said, it's a myth that there is ample space. There isn't enough water and arable land. Most of Canada is a very hostile environment and not just because its cold.

And do we really want very high population densities in a handful of locations?

340,000 in a year is bonkers.

Personally I think that will be the end of it because the Democrats will win in the US in 2020 and I think it's painfully obviously one of the first things they'll do is reform the immigration system for the same reason the Liberals did it, i.e. more Democratic voters, so that will severely impact Canadian immigration.

Really the only figure that matters is net migration, like I said, all the indications are that immigrants are spending less time in Canada as more are admitted.

When I immigrated into Canada the standards were much higher. Then they let in you lot.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Like I said, it's a myth that there is ample space. There isn't enough water and arable land. Most of Canada is a very hostile environment and not just because its cold.

And do we really want very high population densities in a handful of locations?

340,000 in a year is bonkers.
Canada has the 7th largest amount of arable land in the world (about 43,606,000 hectares - UN Food & Ag Organization FAOSTAT).

We're 38th for population. 7th is Pakistan, with 190m.

You can say many things about the landscape, but the idea there's a 'shortage' of arable land is risible. It would just mean selling the food produced locally instead of exporting it (and while we're on that topic, why is Canadian flour cheaper in Sainsbury's than Superstore?).
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:35 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
So if you theoretically could fit 3 million more people into the Fraser Valley, if they all moved there, the valley would be full in less than a decade.
How many of the 300,000 actually head for B.C.?
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:36 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Canada has the 7th largest amount of arable land in the world (about 43,606,000 hectares - UN Food & Ag Organization FAOSTAT).

We're 38th for population. 7th is Pakistan, with 190m.

You can say many things about the landscape, but the idea there's a 'shortage' of arable land is risible. It would just mean selling the food produced locally instead of exporting it (and while we're on that topic, why is Canadian flour cheaper in Sainsbury's than Superstore?).
But you can't use it year round can you? The arable land that is. Covered in snow and when it isn't there's a short growing season.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:43 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
But you can't use it year round can you? The arable land that is. Covered in snow and when it isn't there's a short growing season.
What I'd like to know is how a bit of cold weather damages production of spuds in the UK but worse weather has no such effect in, say, PEI.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 1:58 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
What I'd like to know is how a bit of cold weather damages production of spuds in the UK but worse weather has no such effect in, say, PEI.
Do they grow spuds in the winter then? How does that work what with the frozen soil and suchlike?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.