Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Originally Posted by Shard
I read that India has 600 million well educated young people looking for a decent job. Puts things into perspective.
They can easily come to Canada as skilled workers with the point system or also under express entry.

India has an upper class of millionaires of around 400 to 500 million. That's the size of the whole european union.....

Given the fact that Canada's intake of immigrants is only 340.000 per year, it's a small figure compared to that. India wouldn't even feel a brain drain at all.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
What you're describing, I've been guessing for a while.

Apart from that, it's entirely possible that India provides the most immigrants to Canada, but India is also a very big country. Same as China. Just compare the population size of both countries.
Absolutely and there's nothing wrong with that. India has a gigantic and very highly educated population and the US and UK in particular reaped the benefits of that for a long time. It's likely that as those two countries started to close their doors ajar, Australia and Canada have become more popular in recent years. Japan has a lot of Indian expats nowadays as well.

I know India allows something akin to dual citizenship for Indians who leave to work in the west these days as well so people don't need to abandon everything when naturalise abroad.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:22 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Absolutely and there's nothing wrong with that. India has a gigantic and very highly educated population and the US and UK in particular reaped the benefits of that for a long time. It's likely that as those two countries started to close their doors ajar, Australia and Canada have become more popular in recent years. Japan has a lot of Indian expats nowadays as well.

I know India allows something akin to dual citizenship for Indians who leave to work in the west these days as well so people don't need to abandon everything when naturalise abroad.
Certainly a big plus from a culinary perspective!
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:24 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

They can easily come to Canada as skilled workers with the point system or also under express entry.
Absolutely. A lot of them even speak English as their first language things like medicals are a lot cheaper there than they are in the UK and elsewhere.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Shard
Certainly a big plus from a culinary perspective!
Definitely as long as you can get them to make you a curry to the Indian/British tastes and not the yucky Canadian ones.

When we used to order in for lunch at work, the Indian guys I worked with would order mine.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Absolutely and there's nothing wrong with that.
I didn't say there was....
Never had a problem with them.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 9:22 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I didn't say there was....
Never had a problem with them.
Sorry, I never thought you did tbh. I doubt any of us here do. Certainly they seemed among the most friendly and polite of the main immigrant groups that I personally met in Canada.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly all the staff in Superstore/Walmart/BestBuy etc seem to come from India. No need for them in the future...

https://www.theguardian.com/business...blic-on-monday
Old Jan 21st 2018, 7:27 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by jimf
Nearly all the staff in Superstore/Walmart/BestBuy etc seem to come from India. No need for them in the future...

https://www.theguardian.com/business...blic-on-monday
They will be with Canada's postal service.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

India has an upper class of millionaires of around 400 to 500 million. That's the size of the whole european union.....

Given the fact that Canada's intake of immigrants is only 340.000 per year, it's a small figure compared to that. India wouldn't even feel a brain drain at all.
So about a third of India then, doesn't seem right? Are we taking rupee millionaires? Even then, if the head of household is the millionaire, the remaining family of spouse plus 1 or 2 children would be related directly to a millionaire.....me smells bs.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:10 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
So about a third of India then, doesn't seem right? Are we taking rupee millionaires? Even then, if the head of household is the millionaire, the remaining family of spouse plus 1 or 2 children would be related directly to a millionaire.....me smells bs.
Do you have sources to back those statements up?

‘ONLY 2% OF INDIAN WORKFORCE IS SKILLED’
Wednesday, 08 June 2016

With the objective of making India the skill capital of the world, National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) is targeting for skilling/up-skilling 400 million people in India by 2022
When we compare percentage of formally skilled work force globally, India scores the least at 2% against Korea (96%), Japan (80%), Germany (75%), UK (68%) and China (40%).
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Do you have sources to back those statements up?

‘ONLY 2% OF INDIAN WORKFORCE IS SKILLED’
Wednesday, 08 June 2016
Not sure if you were quoting me to prove the figures.....pop of India, 1350million or 1.35 billion. 400 or 500m millionaires is a third. Just google population of India. So I don't see how oranges figures can be factual.

Last edited by Yorkiechef; Jan 22nd 2018 at 1:40 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 9:01 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Not sure if you were quoting me to prove the figures.....pop of India, 1350million or 1.35 billion. 400 or 500m millionaires is a third. Just google population of India. So I don't see how oranges figures can be factual.
I'm not sure why I quoted you.

India home to 219,000 millionaires

A millionaire is defined as some me with a net worth of US$1 million or more.