Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:05 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Originally Posted by Souvy
Nitrogen, a largely inert gas.

It isn't replacing air (which is about 79% nitrogen anyway) but oxygen.
So how to they get the oxygen out but leave the nitrogen behind? Molecule inspectors at the door "0y you Oxygen hoppit"? I bet there's an immigration need for molecule inspectors.a
Old Jan 19th 2018, 8:20 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
So how to they get the oxygen out but leave the nitrogen behind? Molecule inspectors at the door "0y you Oxygen hoppit"? I bet there's an immigration need for molecule inspectors.a
Sealed environment. Pump the air out and release it to pollute the atmosphere with, er, air and then pump in nitrogen.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:45 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Sealed environment. Pump the air out and release it to pollute the atmosphere with, er, air and then pump in nitrogen.
See, they are replacing air.

Take it out, put the nitrogen in.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:02 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

See, they are replacing air.

Take it out, put the nitrogen in.
I suspect you've got the mechanics wrong. If you pump the air out the pressure will drop and if you pump it all out then potatoes will likely explode as water in the potatoes starts to evaporate quickly.

Best to simply pump nitrogen in at one end and vent air from the other until oxygen level falls to zero. It's how purging is normally done.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 11:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I suspect you've got the mechanics wrong. If you pump the air out the pressure will drop and if you pump it all out then potatoes will likely explode as water in the potatoes starts to evaporate quickly.

Best to simply pump nitrogen in at one end and vent air from the other until oxygen level falls to zero. It's how purging is normally done.
How about just tilt the earth off its axis a smidgen and change the climate so the spuds can be grown year round? Sounds much less involved.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:38 pm
limey party pooper

There goes the magic
Old Jan 20th 2018, 12:40 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How about just tilt the earth off its axis a smidgen and change the climate so the spuds can be grown year round? Sounds much less involved.
And it's back, the magic.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
So if you theoretically could fit 3 million more people into the Fraser Valley, if they all moved there, the valley would be full in less than a decade.

Like I said, it's a myth that there is ample space. There isn't enough water and arable land. Most of Canada is a very hostile environment and not just because its cold.

And do we really want very high population densities in a handful of locations?

340,000 in a year is bonkers.

Personally I think that will be the end of it because the Democrats will win in the US in 2020 and I think it's painfully obviously one of the first things they'll do is reform the immigration system for the same reason the Liberals did it, i.e. more Democratic voters, so that will severely impact Canadian immigration.

Really the only figure that matters is net migration, like I said, all the indications are that immigrants are spending less time in Canada as more are admitted.

When I immigrated into Canada the standards were much higher. Then they let in you lot.
I think the figure of 340.000 every year are to push the economy up, and to look for younger immigrants who contribute to OHIP, or pension plans. Canada is aging, and the birth rate is not like in the US. Sure, the Liberals love this, immigrants bring money, buy property, pay into provincial healthcare, etc... and the Liberals can make promises to the voters again, and have one financial scandal after the next. Kathleen in Ontario leading the charge.....

Setting politics aside, what I noticed in Canada is that most immigrants end up in Toronto or somewhere in the GTA.

What I also noticed is that it seems that many immigrants work in jobs below their qualification. This is often the case if their university degree is not accepted from other countries.

I also noticed similar situations among born Canadians. Some of them have university degrees, but are never considered for the desired job. Finding somebody with a doctor's degree in mathematics and then ending up as a manager of a Tim Horton's is not uncommon in Canada.

There is a seemingly endless supply of contracting work, even for higher IT related positions. Contracting for 6 months, towards 12 months is not uncommon.

I don't know if Canada is in general a hostile place. What I noticed in Canada, is that in every office, in every company there is always some kind of "inner circle", and it's very very hard to ever belong to this inner circle. It also seems to me that born Canadians, who always lived in Canada are distancing themselves more from immigrants who have ad a different and more international working experience. Even though they may hire you, they are in general not interested in international business cultures, or how other approaches in other countries may have worked or led to success....

Especially out in Alberta I often noticed that born Canadians like to stay among themselves, and don't tend to have any deeper contact with immigrants. On the outside, everybody is friendly, but behind your back, that "inner circle situation" feels the strongest there.

Saskatchewan is probably the best choice, no real "inner circle situation", even the locals seem to be happy that you're making an effort of moving and living there, and that you don't mind the cold, and the long and wide distances.

Atlantic Canada, I've noticed, they can be a bit racist, towards other colours, but they accept anybody, if they are white and speak English, with whatever accent.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jan 20th 2018 at 2:16 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:19 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
So if you theoretically could fit 3 million more people into the Fraser Valley, if they all moved there, the valley would be full in less than a decade.

Like I said, it's a myth that there is ample space. There isn't enough water and arable land. Most of Canada is a very hostile environment and not just because its cold.

And do we really want very high population densities in a handful of locations?

340,000 in a year is bonkers.

Personally I think that will be the end of it because the Democrats will win in the US in 2020 and I think it's painfully obviously one of the first things they'll do is reform the immigration system for the same reason the Liberals did it, i.e. more Democratic voters, so that will severely impact Canadian immigration.

Really the only figure that matters is net migration, like I said, all the indications are that immigrants are spending less time in Canada as more are admitted.

When I immigrated into Canada the standards were much higher. Then they let in you lot.
America will never reproduce the kind of immigration system that Canada has at the moment. There has been talk of a points based system in the US for years but nothing ever really comes of it and obviously under the current administration it's a no-go.

Even the democrats aren't particularly pro-immigration really. Not as a Canadian or Briton would understand the term at least anyway.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:29 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
I think the figure of 340.000 every year are to push the economy up, and to look for younger immigrants who contribute to OHIP, or pension plans. Canada is aging, and the birth rate is not like in the US. Sure, the Liberals love this, immigrants bring money, buy property, pay into provincial healthcare, etc... and the Liberals can make promises to the voters again, and have one financial scandal after the next. Kathleen in Ontario leading the charge.....

Setting politics aside, what I noticed in Canada is that most immigrants end up in Toronto or somewhere in the GTA.

What I also noticed is that it seems that many immigrants work in jobs below their qualification. This is often the case if their university degree is not accepted from other countries.

I also noticed similar situations among born Canadians. Some of them have university degrees, but are never considered for the desired job. Finding somebody with a doctor's degree in mathematics and then ending up as a manager of a Tim Horton's is not uncommon in Canada.

There is a seemingly endless supply of contracting work, even for higher IT related positions. Contracting for 6 months, towards 12 months is not uncommon.

I don't know if Canada is in general a hostile place. What I noticed in Canada, is that in every office, in every company there is always some kind of "inner circle", and it's very very hard to ever belong to this inner circle. It also seems to me that born Canadians, who always lived in Canada are distancing themselves more from immigrants who have ad a different and more international working experience. Even though they may hire you, they are in general not interested in international business cultures, or how other approaches in other countries may have worked or led to success....

Especially out in Alberta I often noticed that born Canadians like to stay among themselves, and don't tend to have any deeper contact with immigrants. On the outside, everybody is friendly, but behind your back, that "inner circle situation" feels the strongest there.

Saskatchewan is probably the best choice, no real "inner circle situation", even the locals seem to be happy that you're making an effort of moving and living there, and that you don't mind the cold, and the long and wide distances.

Atlantic Canada, I've noticed, they can be a bit racist, towards other colours, but they accept anybody, if they are white and speak English, with whatever accent.
That's a pretty good description of Ontario too.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

That's a pretty good description of Ontario too.
The tone of language might change in Ontario as Kathleen is up for re-election. If a conservative steps it, it's not the end for immigration, but certain issues around immigration will be addressed, - almost certainly along with all other scandals of little miss Kathleen....

Canadian women have on average fewer kids as US women. Canada is more liberal, thus the role of the woman as well. In the US there are more people in stronger religious Christian faiths were it's usual to have no sex before marriage, and marriage often happens at age 21, two or three kids to follow. Utah is very strong on that. 28 years old and already 3 kids, is pretty much the norm there.
Thus the US can be very restrictive on immigrants. Their population doesn't seem to age as much.

Regarding Canada, I think what is the case is that there are more immigrants coming to the GTA, but they are staying less and less in Canada. They come, work any kind of temporary or contracting job they can get, do some university degree as well, then now under new legislation become citizens after 4 years, in year 5 they tend to leave. While doing so, they fill the coffers of OHIP, EI and PI.

Sky high property prices in Vancouver and Toronto ( not yet city of London hight ) , often massive condo fees and ever climbing property taxes and contracting jobs don't motivate anybody in the long term.

Citizenship and passport in hand, they move off to the next country.

Last edited by OrangeMango; Jan 20th 2018 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 5:27 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding Canada, I think what is the case is that there are more immigrants coming to the GTA, but they are staying less and less in Canada. They come, work any kind of temporary or contracting job they can get, do some university degree as well, then now under new legislation become citizens after 4 years, in year 5 they tend to leave. While doing so, they fill the coffers of OHIP, EI and PI.

Citizenship and passport in hand, they move off to the next country.
Is that the case? I don't know. Seems like quite a generalization. Some obviously move on to the US, it's a bigger economy, a richer culture, so why not, but many stay in Canada. Most, I would contend.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 5:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is that the case? I don't know. Seems like quite a generalization. Some obviously move on to the US, it's a bigger economy, a richer culture, so why not, but many stay in Canada. Most, I would contend.
I'm going to wager that all depends on where they come from and the complications in parent sponsorship don't help.

I'm guessing the average age for an FSW immigrant is probably 30-40 so factor in that 10-20 years down the line or less, said immigrant may need to return home to care for their relatives. Also consider that India is one of, if not the single, biggest contributors of skilled immigrants to Canada and Indian culture encourages people to care for their parents.

I guess the fact that many parts of the country are freezing for a good part of the year and the potential for people to move on from Canada to the US once they have a Canadian passport probably doesn't help to retain people indefinitely either.

This is all my guesswork btw. I haven't researched any of the official statistics but most of the above would make sense to me.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I'm going to wager that all depends on where they come from and the complications in parent sponsorship don't help.

I'm guessing the average age for an FSW immigrant is probably 30-40 so factor in that 10-20 years down the line or less, said immigrant may need to return home to care for their relatives. Also consider that India is one of, if not the single, biggest contributors of skilled immigrants to Canada and Indian culture encourages people to care for their parents.

I guess the fact that many parts of the country are freezing for a good part of the year and the potential for people to move on from Canada to the US once they have a Canadian passport probably doesn't help to retain people indefinitely either.

This is all my guesswork btw. I haven't researched any of the official statistics but most of the above would make sense to me.
What you're describing, I've been guessing for a while.

Apart from that, it's entirely possible that India provides the most immigrants to Canada, but India is also a very big country. Same as China. Just compare the population size of both countries.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

What you're describing, I've been guessing for a while.

Apart from that, it's entirely possible that India provides the most immigrants to Canada, but India is also a very big country. Same as China. Just compare the population size of both countries.
I read that India has 600 million well educated young people looking for a decent job. Puts things into perspective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.