Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Not a thread incite any kind of controversy, just interested in people's opinions really.

The current government want 1Mn immigrants over the next 3 years, far higher than any other developed country on Earth.

I've been watching a few documentaries and reports on YouTube such as the one below and while they paint a good picture of a liberal and multicultural paradise, is that ideal really attainable?

Also are there enough jobs and housing to go around for all of these people? I recall the last time that I was living there people struggled to find a family doctor's surgery in Toronto who could take them on and unless there's been a huge upsurge in doctor numbers over the last few years, I can't imagine how these newcomer numbers would improve things.

Again, just looking for people's opinions and a sensible debate here and apologies if there's a similar thread ongoing already. Let's do our best to keep this one out of TIO, OK?

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Jan 15th 2018 at 3:45 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Canada's immigration targets and numbers sustainable?

Good luck getting people to share their thoughts without being accused of being racist, insensitive or whatever else they will be called if it doesn't fit in with official Government policy which may or may not be a good policy.
I have no problem with Immigration but depending who you let into the country be it immigrants becoming PR's through a variety of streams, workers who could become PR's again via different streams, spousal or family sponsorship or refugee claimants to say there will not be the odd problem is somewhat false.

There again what do I know I only enforce Immigration rules and see what happens both good and bad and I know my opinion won't be highly sought after.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Good luck getting people to share their thoughts without being accused of being racist, insensitive or whatever else they will be called if it doesn't fit in with official Government policy which may or may not be a good policy.
Sadly you're probably right and that's what I was afraid of.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I have no problem with Immigration but depending who you let into the country be it immigrants becoming PR's through a variety of streams, workers who could become PR's again via different streams, spousal or family sponsorship or refugee claimants to say there will not be the odd problem is somewhat false.

There again what do I know I only enforce Immigration rules and see what happens both good and bad and I know my opinion won't be highly sought after.
I'd say your opinion is what matters the most. The difficulty is that most reports I've seen on this only seem to cover the good points and paint a picture of Canada being the most welcoming country on Earth, particularly to refugees (which it probably is).

Those reports don't seem to discuss any potential negative aspects, especially on the housing and job markets. I'd be particularly interested to know the increasingly relaxed controls have impacted upon the labour market (i.e. have they created new jobs like the Trudeau government suggest or have they made steady and long-term jobs much more difficult to find?).
Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously we don't want people from "shithole countries"

As for the doctor shortage, every new immigrant could bring theirs with them and then those docs could take additional patients currently without one.

Problem solved.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Not a thread incite any kind of controversy, just interested in people's opinions really.

The current government want 1Mn immigrants over the next 3 years, far higher than any other developed country on Earth.

Also are there enough jobs and housing to go around for all of these people.
Not sure what you're worrying about..don't you know that 'budgets balance themselves' and in the same vein, if 1 million immigrants come to Canada in 3 years, it will all balance itself out naturally and that the 1 million # has been carefully thought out and isn't just a number plucked out of thin air.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
the 1 million # has been carefully thought out and isn't just a number plucked out of thin air.
You sure about that?
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Some may think that such a substantial number should only be considered once we have improved our health service,housing and social problems in all respects, to cater for the existing population. And even then, only those that can be self supporting and can make a contribution to Canada whatever there origins and country . At the moment that would not appear to be the case. Canada,s governments, both Provincial and Federal must start thinking with their heads rather than their hearts, and decisions made to better Canada, free of political dogma, putting the lot of Canadians and the betterment of Canada first and foremost. Ok, a pipe dream, but never the less, essential.If any of the above labels me a racist, then so be it.

Last edited by macadian; Jan 15th 2018 at 4:18 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly 1 million immigrants. 970,000 is the specified number.

I know you're definitely wrong about the bit I've highlighted as well......

The number of immigrants (not net) to the UK between July 2016 and June 2017 was around 572,000.

Toronto could welcome almost 170,000 immigrants over the next 3 years — are we ready?

Dubbed "the most ambitious" plan in recent history by Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen, it means the number of immigrants coming to Canada will climb to 310,000 in 2018, up from 300,000 this year.
That number will rise again to 330,000 in 2019 — then 340,000 in 2020.
I've been watching a few documentaries and reports on YouTube such as the one below and while they paint a good picture of a liberal and multicultural paradise, is that ideal really attainable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7_2ru-u5RA
Don't know. It'll be a little over 10% more in 2020 than it was last year. Part of the argument against UK immigration was the lack of space. Canada has a little more than the UK does

Also are there enough jobs and housing to go around for all of these people? I recall the last time that I was living there people struggled to find a family doctor's surgery in Toronto who could take them on and unless there's been a huge upsurge in doctor numbers over the last few years, I can't imagine how these newcomer numbers would improve things.
Maybe the solution is for Provincial governments to increase the availability of training places for those wanting to become medical professionals.

Again, just looking for people's opinions and a sensible debate here and apologies if there's a similar thread ongoing already. Let's do our best to keep this one out of TIO, OK?
You and your spouse are two of the future immigrants to Canada. You'll probably need a doctor a some point too.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 15th 2018 at 4:21 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:25 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there's no shortage of space ! On jobs, sometimes I think one of Canada's main "industries" is immigration itself, shipping people in, building homes and shopping plazas (which of course many of the new immigrants get involved in) kitting out new homes, etc, etc..
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:27 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Nearly 1 million immigrants. 970,000 is the specified number.

I know you're definitely wrong about the bit I've highlighted as well......

The number of immigrants (not net) to the UK between July 2016 and June 2017 was around 572,000.

Toronto could welcome almost 170,000 immigrants over the next 3 years — are we ready?

Don't know. It'll be a little over 10% more in 2020 than it was last year.

Maybe the solution is for Provincial governments to increase the availability of training places for those wanting to become medical professionals.

You and your spouse are two of the future immigrants to Canada. You'll probably need a doctor a some point too.
Sorry, when I heard the number I was in Marrakech at the time and, as tends to happen when you're on holiday and don't understand the local language, we tended to stick to the English and Japanese news networks they had on the TV. Those reported a 1mn target figure and I'd seen that cited in a few other places since then.

The UK figure you've included there is largely irrelevant because that was an actual number of arrivals and the way these counts work in the UK is a bit ridiculous. Additionally, that wasn't a target figure. The UK's target for that period would probably have been around 10-20% of that. As I understand, that 970k target number is for foreign newly arriving Canadian permanent residents.

The last time I was in Canada I had an OHIP card but never actually tried to register with a family doctor, literally because I'd heard so many horror stories from people at work, my partner didn't qualify for OHIP and therefore we couldn't really be arsed.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:30 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Shard
Well, there's no shortage of space
I guess that depends on how you look at it. It's the 2nd largest country on Earth but most of it is inhospitable and the majority of the population lives in small urban centres that are spread out across the country.

Toronto has a larger population than most British cities but then even between Toronto and Niagara Falls I just saw miles and miles of nothing.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:33 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto has a larger population than most British cities but then even between Toronto and Niagara Falls I just saw miles and miles of nothing.
Plenty more where that came from !
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think Ontario's wine and fruit industry would like it referred as that.

I haven't been on the QEW between Stoney Creek and Niagara Falls in probably 15 years or so but it seemed to be mainly intensively used farmland and sprawlburbia the last time I was along that way.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 4:36 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Shard
Plenty more where that came from !

Old Jan 15th 2018, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Liberals need to import more voters if they're going to stay in power.

Aside from that, though, it seems crazy to bring vast numbers of new people to a country that's a frozen wasteland for half the year when so many jobs are on the verge of being automated away. In a sane world, governments all over the world would be reducing immigration, not increasing it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.