Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Calgary Appliance Repairman Recommendation

Calgary Appliance Repairman Recommendation

Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary Appliance Repairman Recommendation

So here's the script,

The dryer in my place has recently started malfunctioning - shuts itself off after about 20-30 minutes of a 50 minute cycle then won't switch on for a few hours until it has cooled off

All the screens and filters are clean, there's no lint stuck anywhere and i've checked all the usual things

Internet seems to reckon there's a sensor inside that senses heat that becomes dirty and therefore the dryer thinks it's too hot but i'm not going pulling the top off the dryer incase I break something.

Now, I rent the place, so I assume the landlord should be paying for the repair, since its not willful/neglectful damage.

I've been told I can go ahead and call someone out to quote a repair so I'm just after a recommendation for someone who'll be able to do this

Are free estimates a normal thing in Canada like in the UK or should I be expecting to pay someone to quote?
Old Sep 24th 2014, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Appliance Repairman Recommendation

I doubt there will be a free estimate. It seems wrong to me to call out a technician who will probably need to spend time diagnosing the problem and then not pay him for his time and work. There is usually a minimum charge, probably $80+.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I doubt there will be a free estimate. It seems wrong to me to call out a technician who will probably need to spend time diagnosing the problem and then not pay him for his time and work. There is usually a minimum charge, probably $80+.
From what I remember in the UK, most tradesmen offer free estimates for services, certainly where I was from anyway...
Old Sep 24th 2014, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
From what I remember in the UK, most tradesmen offer free estimates for services, certainly where I was from anyway...
The same here for many situations, flooring, roofing, construction etc., where large amounts are contemplated, but highly doubtful for appliance repairs. It's probably something you need done not something you're contemplating doing.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 3:02 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are renting, you should just contact your landlord to get it fixed. Oftentimes the landlord will already have someone he/she uses for maintenance issues.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
So here's the script,

The dryer in my place has recently started malfunctioning - shuts itself off after about 20-30 minutes of a 50 minute cycle then won't switch on for a few hours until it has cooled off

All the screens and filters are clean, there's no lint stuck anywhere and i've checked all the usual things

Internet seems to reckon there's a sensor inside that senses heat that becomes dirty and therefore the dryer thinks it's too hot but i'm not going pulling the top off the dryer incase I break something.

Now, I rent the place, so I assume the landlord should be paying for the repair, since its not willful/neglectful damage.

I've been told I can go ahead and call someone out to quote a repair so I'm just after a recommendation for someone who'll be able to do this

Are free estimates a normal thing in Canada like in the UK or should I be expecting to pay someone to quote?
I would expect to pay a fee for a callout, probably approx 50GBP in the UK. Haven't been in that situation in Calgary but I would expect the same principle to apply.

I would check with the repair company if there is a callout charge and make sure the landlord agrees to pay before incurring the charge.