Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Buying a used car from a dealer

Buying a used car from a dealer

Old Aug 20th 2017, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Buying a used car from a dealer

Have a few questions around this as very different experience from the UK and AU.

1. Carproof
Looks like a good idea and lists tons of info.
-- Curious about car servicing. Most new cars would usually go to the dealer to get the car serviced either 6 months or 12 months intervals. This info from what I gather would be included in the carproof report.

-- If they decide not to use the dealer and get the car serviced 3rd party, how would this be logged.
I ask as I believe log books are not supplied in Canada with new cars, from what I can gather.

2. Mechanic Inspection
On looking at a car I liked I mentioned I would like a mechanic to review, with the response that we provide a full certified check and why would you want to pay for 3rd party check.
I found that odd, but seems common practice with dealerships.

3. Log Book
This appears to be fazed out from what I can gather in CA. Most sales consultants look at me blankly when I ask to see it. This is/was pretty much standard issue when I purchased my last car in Australia a few years back, and even looking at the 2nd hand market for up to 7 years.
Aside from CarProof and the previous seller providing receipts, how do you see the log book?
Old Aug 20th 2017, 1:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a used car from a dealer

Originally Posted by evets
Have a few questions around this as very different experience from the UK and AU.

1. Carproof
Looks like a good idea and lists tons of info.
-- Curious about car servicing. Most new cars would usually go to the dealer to get the car serviced either 6 months or 12 months intervals. This info from what I gather would be included in the carproof report.

-- If they decide not to use the dealer and get the car serviced 3rd party, how would this be logged.
I ask as I believe log books are not supplied in Canada with new cars, from what I can gather.

2. Mechanic Inspection
On looking at a car I liked I mentioned I would like a mechanic to review, with the response that we provide a full certified check and why would you want to pay for 3rd party check.
I found that odd, but seems common practice with dealerships.

3. Log Book
This appears to be fazed out from what I can gather in CA. Most sales consultants look at me blankly when I ask to see it. This is/was pretty much standard issue when I purchased my last car in Australia a few years back, and even looking at the 2nd hand market for up to 7 years.
Aside from CarProof and the previous seller providing receipts, how do you see the log book?
What's a log book? Whet does it contain?

Carproof is nonsense, the car can have been in huge accident ($20k in repairs in the case of my VW) and that may or may not appear on the Carproof.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

A log book, is the service book that is provided with the car when you buy in brand new. Not sure of the name it would be called in Canada. When you get your car serviced at the dealer, they stamp it so you can keep a track of your servicing and repairs.

Ah ok, do not fully trust carproof! Which is why I would want a 3rd party to inspect a car.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

AIUI a log book was the DVLA document we got which detailed the vehicle, when registered etc , superceded by the V5. My book with service records in it was just called "service record book"! No idea what the Canadians call it but here they are rare creatures as most vehicles never get serviced!
Old Aug 20th 2017, 1:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
AIUI a log book was the DVLA document we got which detailed the vehicle, when registered etc , superceded by the V5. My book with service records in it was just called "service record book"! No idea what the Canadians call it but here they are rare creatures as most vehicles never get serviced!
My cars get serviced, most of them have been purchased new and serviced at the dealer. I haven't seen one of those service record books with stamps for decades.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Never heard or seen a log book for a car. I service our car when needed but dont keep records of every little thing.

We also dont use dealers for service we use independent mechanic as do many as they tend to be cheaper.

When buying used its buyer beware and always a risk.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 5:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Dealers hold service records, however if other shops have been used, it really depends on how well the owner kept records. I know of nobody who keeps a service record book in their car. I never have done.

Buying a used car in Canada, dealer, or otherwise is buyer beware. Even a pre-purchase inspection, such as by CAA only lets you know what condition the vehicle is in at that time. There are no warranties as a rule, unless you purchase one. Buying from a franchised dealer is often the best protection as most want to look after their reputation.

Do a lien check, in BC this can be done through ICBC, to make sure no charges remain on the vehicle. ICBC can also give a vehicle claims history report for damage over $2000 that was repaired under an insurance claim.

Carproof and Carfax, one can show damage and the other may not have any record of it. Very hit and miss.

Carfax vs. CarProof: A look at used vehicle history reports | CTV Toronto News

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 20th 2017 at 5:13 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 5:38 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I have bought several used cars over the years (from private sales and through dealers) and have never been given any service records when asked.

The dealers say it is against privacy laws to give me all the service records, and the private sellers say they did not keep the receipts.

Every time my car goes in for work, I keep the receipt and file it away in a folder. When I come to sell the car, the folder goes to the new owner whether they want it or not.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

^^ We got told the same by dealer, that sharing past records was impossible as a violation of the privacy act. We bought a second hand Hyundai from a Hyundai dealership on the grounds that they have more of an incentive to protect their rep when doing that, and their mechanics more likely to know exactly what they were looking at when doing the inspection.

Found a couple of old receipts and records in the manual and a cubby which backed up what the dealer had said to describe it & the way it had been used, so unless a *very* elaborate scam, thinking probably a decent path - but buyer entirely beware.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 6:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

One way to get records is to buy a rental, we have an ex-rental, had 30,000k when we got it, now it's got 115,000k and going strong with 0 issues, only work done that wasn't a routine like an oil change was the wiper motor stopped working, but it was an easy fix and the dealer didn't charge us anything.

As we bought it directly from the rental company who operated it, we did get service records, but being that is was so new still, the only service that was done were the oil changes and other routine things.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 6:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
One way to get records is to buy a rental, we have an ex-rental, had 30,000k when we got it, now it's got 115,000k and going strong with 0 issues, only work done that wasn't a routine like an oil change was the wiper motor stopped working, but it was an easy fix and the dealer didn't charge us anything.

As we bought it directly from the rental company who operated it, we did get service records, but being that is was so new still, the only service that was done were the oil changes and other routine things.
Google 'rental car abuse'
Old Aug 20th 2017, 8:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Danny B
Google 'rental car abuse'
I have. It's not for everyone, but I have not had bad experienced with ex-rentals so I take the risk.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all the replies, very appreciated.

Yes I am a little confused about the lack of log book, suppose new country and all that. But was issued one in Australia for a 2015 model, so just assumed!!!

@dbd, After seeing a number of these crash proof reports over the last few weeks. Kinda agree with you. They provide you with some information but are they 100%!!!

Canada like Australia, both have very similar systems in place in that you only need to get your car a road worthy cert prior to selling. The UK MOT in retrospect is a pretty good idea. The amount of dangerous cars I see on the roads here and wonder how they get away with it.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

As a side note, possibly purchased a car and had the whole sales pitch for extras.

Since I am in a new country/climate and the car is just outside of factory warranty and have no idea of costs involved for future repairs. It really does not help that I aside from the short time in Australia I owned a new car, the last time I bought and owned a car is so so long ago.

I already know the answer to this myself, but thought it may be worth bouncing in the forum:

Extended Warranty-
2 yr 40000km $2200
3 yr 60000km $2900

Rust protection
$699 - $999

All seems very excessive to me and basically once you drive it off the forecourt, trying to get anything rectified from the dealer is like winning the lottery!

Not actually sure if rust protection is useful, at least from a 3rd party since the car is used and if not already
been treated what is the point.

The EW is the usual money making scheme.
Old Aug 20th 2017, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Both of my cars have service books, un completed......they keep record of servicing at dealerships, though they will give you an invoice with the work done when you collect your car, you could keep these if you are trying to restore a concourse vehicle yo prove love and attention. Not sure over here if anyone really cares about that level of detail. You really have to see some of the cars on the road here, if it doesn't leave the province when it is sold, it can be driven until it literally falls apart and stops. No tests, no emission dodahs, just rust, smoke and bit on the side of the road. (Oo er mrs� ����) Then there are the Lamborghini and such like that just look so out of place, it's comical.

Last edited by Yorkiechef; Aug 20th 2017 at 10:35 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.