Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

British Newspapers In Ottawa

British Newspapers In Ottawa

Old Sep 21st 2014, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute
Default British Newspapers In Ottawa

Hi all,
is there anywhere in Ottawa that I can get my hands on a selection of UK based newspapers on a regular basis.

Cheers
Arty
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Newspapers In Ottawa

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi all,
is there anywhere in Ottawa that I can get my hands on a selection of UK based newspapers on a regular basis.

Cheers
Arty
The internet tends to do that very nicely. Mags and Fags

Mags & Fags - Location & Hours

is your best bet.

There is another place in the Glebe called Britton's (Magazines and Newspapers of the world)

In the past Chapters and maybe Smithbooks tended to have them a day or so late or a newsagents at the airport. The availability of newspapers online has sort of killed that. I think the Daily Express used to publish a weekly summary newspaper and sell it in convenience stores but even that not so much.

At Mags and Fags and Britton's the newspapers will likely be one day old and pricey.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
In the past Chapters and maybe Smithbooks tended to have them a day or so late or a newsagents at the airport. The availability of newspapers online has sort of killed that.

There are still British papers available at my local Chapters so it might help if the OP called his local store and asked them.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Newspapers? What is the point??
Old Sep 21st 2014, 6:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Newspapers? What is the point??
Nice to have in your hands - convenient for taking into the toilet reading room, on the bus, not dependent on batteries or internet service, genuine writers rather than bloggers pretending to be something they're not, bigger reading area, easier to find things....
Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Nice to have in your hands - convenient for taking into the toilet reading room, on the bus, not dependent on batteries or internet service, genuine writers rather than bloggers pretending to be something they're not, bigger reading area, easier to find things....
I'll give you the batteries and internet, but if you have the right device (a tablet) there is more than enough news to read on the internet, magazines, and books. Does anyone read blogs anymore? It won't be long before print media becomes as widespread as vinyl LP's. 5-10 years max.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 7:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I'll give you the batteries and internet, but if you have the right device (a tablet) there is more than enough news to read on the internet, magazines, and books.
Have that with the newspaper rather than instead of.

Does anyone read blogs anymore?
I think so. Look at "a girl called Jack" and what she's become. But Twitter, Facebook etc....they're often effectively blogs. That's how that Daniele Watts made such a fool of herself a few days ago.

What I really meant, though, was you can be reading something online and believe you're reading something responsible and accurate, whatever and it might be anything from absolute lies to a mixture of truth and lies. Of course, it might be the same in the Daily Mail but you can at least be suspicious right away.

As for finding something, if I wanted to check something I read in the guardian yesterday, picking up yesterday's copy is much easier than trying to find the article online. Even the same day it's not easy to find again.

Of course, if I've thrown the paper out, then I have to rely on the internet. It's just supplemental to rather than instead of.