"Boyhood"

Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:08 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Boyhood"

Have just seen the film "Boyhood" (Richard Linklater) which I really enjoyed. It picked up some awards on the weekend, which I am sure well deserved. If you know about this film, it's been filmed over 12 years and gently portrays the maturation of a boy in Texas. It also stars Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke.

So...I see the boy mature and think, that's very natural. But somehow, I wondered how they managed to get Arquette and Hawke to mature too? Have been racking my brains trying to think how could make up / cinema photography do such a good job of showing their ageing process? when of course, they matured in the same period ... Yikes.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Boyhood"

I watched the film two days ago as I saw it has lots of Oscar nominations but had not really heard of it. I tend not to like relationship films/endless talking but this was really moving. Hard not to see parts of your own life in what is being portrayed on screen as they are very real characters. Great film beautifully put together. It deserves the accolades.

I really did not know much about the film so now I am intrigued by what you said about the 12 years of filming. I will have to find out more about it.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 3:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Does the boy have any super powers?
Old Feb 11th 2015, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond reputeHemi Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Does the boy have any super powers?
He has the ability to age 12 years in an hour and a half
Old Feb 11th 2015, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

itsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond reputeitsasmallworld has a reputation beyond repute

He survived growing up in Texas
Old Feb 11th 2015, 8:29 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
He has the ability to age 12 years in an hour and a half
Two hours and three quarters !

I liked the scene where the elementary school kids had to pledge allegiance to not only the US flag, but also the Texas flag! I did not know they did Texas too.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Have just seen the film "Boyhood" (Richard Linklater) which I really enjoyed. It picked up some awards on the weekend, which I am sure well deserved. If you know about this film, it's been filmed over 12 years and gently portrays the maturation of a boy in Texas. It also stars Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke.

So...I see the boy mature and think, that's very natural. But somehow, I wondered how they managed to get Arquette and Hawke to mature too? Have been racking my brains trying to think how could make up / cinema photography do such a good job of showing their ageing process? when of course, they matured in the same period ... Yikes.
Richard Linklater also directed three films with Ethan Hawke, the Before series, each film set ten years apart. We watched the first one and then the next night started the second, I was absolutely amazed at the natural way they had aged the actors (normally it's so obviously fake). I commented to my husband asking how he thought they did it, his response was 'easy, they just waited ten years before they filmed the second one'.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 8:50 am
Yo

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Richard Linklater also directed three films with Ethan Hawke, the Before series, each film set ten years apart. We watched the first one and then the next night started the second, I was absolutely amazed at the natural way they had aged the actors (normally it's so obviously fake). I commented to my husband asking how he thought they did it, his response was 'easy, they just waited ten years before they filmed the second one'.
Glad I'm not the only one to forget the obvious. I've seen the first two of the Before series, you've reminded me to track down the third one.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Glad I'm not the only one to forget the obvious. I've seen the first two of the Before series, you've reminded me to track down the third one.
You should, I think it's the best one of the three.
Old Feb 12th 2015, 11:35 am
Yo

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
You should, I think it's the best one of the three.
Anything with Julie Deply is well worth seeing !
Old Feb 12th 2015, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anything with Julie Deply is well worth seeing !
My husband is of the same opinion. My 16 year old son was too, for the first one, I think he reconsidered after the third.