Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You're very welcome.

Tete Jaune Cache (with or without accents) is an unusual name for a place in BC, I'd have thought. Where the heck is it?
http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regio...s/?townID=3991

Hmm - think they've quoted nearby Valemount's population in that article by mistake - we've only got a couple of hundred...

It's where highways 5 and 16 meet, about 10 mins drive from Mt Robson... Other than our famous mountain, the nearest well known place is Jasper (100km) as we're not v.far from the AB border.

Last edited by AlexInBC; Mar 20th 2008 at 12:22 am. Reason: population info
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
http://www.britishcolumbia.com/regio...s/?townID=3991

Hmm - think they've quoted nearby Valemount's population in that article by mistake - we've only got a couple of hundred...

It's where highways 5 and 16 meet, about 10 mins drive from Mt Robson... Other than our famous mountain, the nearest well known place is Jasper (100km) as we're not v.far from the AB border.
What took you there? (I mean it looks very nice and all that, but what is there to do except slide down mountains?)
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

What took you there? (I mean it looks very nice and all that, but what is there to do except slide down mountains?)
Just an impulse really...wanted a change of pace!

My husband was having a stressful day at work and during his lunch break he spotted a B&B property we'd previously stayed in (in Whistler) on the market for over a million dollars! He sent me the link and jokingly asked if I wanted to buy it?

He went back to his work and I carried on browsing the B&Bs FSBO site and found Lazy Dog Acres. I sent him back the new link and said, how about this one instead? We both instantly fell in love with the pictures and the asking price turned out to be less than we would get for our 3 bed semi in Chester, so we decided to sell up.

About 4 months later the sale and purchase was completed and we moved over. (It was all made far easier by having a Canadian born husband.)

You're right - there isn't much around here, apart from the mountains, but that's why we love it. There's plenty of work if you're technical and not too fussed what you end up doing My husband has ended up being a Technical Analyst after having never done any IT at a professional level before (he was an R&D hardware engineer, designing scientific instrumentation in the UK.) I've only just (as in, last week ) got my PR. My plan is to finally tackle some of the websites that locals have been asking me to do...do a bit of PC repair work...maybe the odd bit of freelance PCB layout...and that's all stuff I can do from home, so it's not a problem that we're a bit remote!

Bet you wish you'd never asked
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:30 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Just an impulse really...wanted a change of pace!

My husband was having a stressful day at work and during his lunch break he spotted a B&B property we'd previously stayed in (in Whistler) on the market for over a million dollars! He sent me the link and jokingly asked if I wanted to buy it?

He went back to his work and I carried on browsing the B&Bs FSBO site and found Lazy Dog Acres. I sent him back the new link and said, how about this one instead? We both instantly fell in love with the pictures and the asking price turned out to be less than we would get for our 3 bed semi in Chester, so we decided to sell up.

About 4 months later the sale and purchase was completed and we moved over. (It was all made far easier by having a Canadian born husband.)

You're right - there isn't much around here, apart from the mountains, but that's why we love it. There's plenty of work if you're technical and not too fussed what you end up doing My husband has ended up being a Technical Analyst after having never done any IT at a professional level before (he was an R&D hardware engineer, designing scientific instrumentation in the UK.) I've only just (as in, last week ) got my PR. My plan is to finally tackle some of the websites that locals have been asking me to do...do a bit of PC repair work...maybe the odd bit of freelance PCB layout...and that's all stuff I can do from home, so it's not a problem that we're a bit remote!

Bet you wish you'd never asked
A double dose of karma tonight. I'm interested that OH designed scientific instrumentation... I love doing that too. It's a bit dodgy though for me, because I'm supposed to be doing the actual science.

Edit: double doses are apparently not allowed.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Personality Plus.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

The L-Shaped Room.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:40 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Personality Plus.

Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

The L-Shaped Room.
Eh?

Oh, yes. Books.

How Mumbo Jumbo Took Over The World

Guns, Germs and Steel.

Noddy.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:41 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

"How to win when facing divorce" by Barry J Roche
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:44 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dingbat
"How to win when facing divorce" by Barry J Roche
Chapter 1:

Be female.

End.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:53 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

The Throwback by Tom Sharpe, because it made me laugh so hard in the middle of court (as a student) I nearly got booted from the course.

Under A Glass Bell by Anais Nin

The Republic Plato

Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad

Brave New World Aldous Huxley.

Ballad of the Sad Cafe Carson McCullers.

The History Man Malcolm Bradbury. (Can't believe I thought University was like that....oh yeah..it was....)

All the ones on Novo's first list.

Last edited by dingbat; Mar 20th 2008 at 2:55 am. Reason: Apparently can't spell Malcolm
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:54 am
Cynically amused.

Chapter 1:

Be female.

End.
I wish, I so wish that were true.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:58 am
Born again atheist

The Throwback by Tom Sharpe, because it made me laugh so hard in the middle of court (as a student) I nearly got booted from the course.

Under A Glass Bell by Anais Nin

The Republic Plato

Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad

Brave New World Aldous Huxley.

Ballad of the Sad Cafe Carson McCullers.

The History Man Malcom Bradbury. (Can't believe I thought University was like that....oh yeah..it was....)

All the ones on Novo's first list.
Oh I'd forgotten Tom Sharpe. Very funny.

Heart of Darkness was prescribed school reading, so I didn't enjoy it until
I re-read it in the aftermath of Apocalypse Now
Old Mar 20th 2008, 1:59 am
Born again atheist

I wish, I so wish that were true.
Aside from pegleg Heather, give me a counter-example.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Aside from pegleg Heather, give me a counter-example.
me
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:16 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Books that changed your lives
Old Mar 20th 2008, 2:26 am
Born again atheist

Show off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.