Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:33 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

Was just having a conflab with one of the girls at work (who is quite religious to the extent that the bible is the law) about how she can so vehemently defend it when we live in the land of the dinosaurs here and there is evolutionary evidence all around us.

It made me think about a book I read (well 3 actually) called Conversations with God. Now I didn't have some gospel moment happening, far from it because I think that the Bible is a lot of random stories heaped together with a bit of Chinese whispers thrown in for good measure, but it really made me have a lot more belief in myself and my own abilities to change my life and strive for the things that I want.

I'll never forget the minute I finished the first one, I just felt better about me.

Not saying it would happen for everyone or indeed if its true but have any of you read anything that has changed you.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:49 pm
j42
Forum Regular

j42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nice
Default Re: Books that changed your lives - or at least made you think!

yes "many masters many lives" by Brian Weiss changed my life and my thinking
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Das Kapital.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Catch-22

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

...and lemme think, oh yes...

The Beano Bumper Annual.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 9:53 pm
rolling uphill

edsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud ofedsask has much to be proud of

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

American Psycho.

Desert Solitude.

Horsekeeping on a Small Acerage.

The Sweet Smell of Psychosis.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

The Woodentops, volume 2, 1961.

Then

One day in the life of Ivan Denisovich - Sold-your-nits-in.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by j42
yes "many masters many lives" by Brian Weiss changed my life and my thinking
OMG - I use to work with a lady who told me to get this book, never did as I just couldn't find it anywhere.

Would love to read it on the plane - where can I purchase this book?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:47 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarrely enough the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson reinforced some of my social thinkings, and changed my perceptions on others. It also have me a valid viewpoints and thinking patterns on economy and population control plus how the two can be linked.
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:55 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance changed the way I try and live my life.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being changed the way I think about it.

Was your book about the power of positive thought mandymoo?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist, by Robert Tressall.

Germinal. Emile Zola

The God Delusion. Richard Dawkins

Mallory Towers, Enid Blyton, this made me think school should be fun. So wrong so very wrong.

That one about Transactional Analysis. Cant remember what its called.
I dont normally read self improvement books but this one made sense and I even finished it
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Bizarrely enough the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson reinforced some of my social thinkings,

...and apparently caused you to become fluent in Martian. Social thinkings?
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracie107
OMG - I use to work with a lady who told me to get this book, never did as I just couldn't find it anywhere.

Would love to read it on the plane - where can I purchase this book?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Many-Lives-M...5970800&sr=8-1

Is that worth some karma? I've got hardly any <sob!>
Old Mar 19th 2008, 11:58 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Is that worth some karma? I've got hardly any <sob!>
God, I'm a soft touch. Incoming K.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
God, I'm a soft touch. Incoming K.
Oh, thank you Novo

I was actually only hinting to Tracie107 that it would be nice to get some karma for doing her searching for her, but I'll happily take any that's going
Old Mar 20th 2008, 12:06 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Oh, thank you Novo

I was actually only hinting to Tracie107 that it would be nice to get some karma for doing her searching for her, but I'll happily take any that's going
You're very welcome.

Tete Jaune Cache (with or without accents) is an unusual name for a place in BC, I'd have thought. Where the heck is it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.