BlackBerry question

Old Mar 5th 2011, 7:53 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default BlackBerry question

I'm a complete Luddite with these things, so please excuse the stupidity of the query.

I have a personal BlackBerry, with a monthly plan through Telus. I want it to work in the UK, so I called Telus, got them to sort out international roaming, and they said it would work. Got to Blighty, it didn't. "Insert SIM card", it said.

Eventually, I came to realise that they meant insert a Telus GSM SIM card... which I didn't have. "It should be in the box that it came in," said Telus. Well, that was ages ago, and the bloke that sold it to me back then said that I didn't need a SIM card in Canada, so it's probably in a landfill somewhere.

So, I need a replacement Telus GSM SIM card... or do I? What if I bought say a UK Vodafone SIM card and put that in - would that give me a phone that alternately worked in Canada (via Telus CDMA with no SIM card) and also in the UK (via Vodafone GSM?)

All responses welcome, but please keep the useful technical ones to Jack & Jill level.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:29 pm
Travelbug

poubelle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BlackBerry question

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I'm a complete Luddite with these things, so please excuse the stupidity of the query.

I have a personal BlackBerry, with a monthly plan through Telus. I want it to work in the UK, so I called Telus, got them to sort out international roaming, and they said it would work. Got to Blighty, it didn't. "Insert SIM card", it said.

Eventually, I came to realise that they meant insert a Telus GSM SIM card... which I didn't have. "It should be in the box that it came in," said Telus. Well, that was ages ago, and the bloke that sold it to me back then said that I didn't need a SIM card in Canada, so it's probably in a landfill somewhere.

So, I need a replacement Telus GSM SIM card... or do I? What if I bought say a UK Vodafone SIM card and put that in - would that give me a phone that alternately worked in Canada (via Telus CDMA with no SIM card) and also in the UK (via Vodafone GSM?)

All responses welcome, but please keep the useful technical ones to Jack & Jill level.
It'll depend whether your mobile is "Locked" to your Canadian network, or whether it's "unlocked" and will allow you to recieve service from any provider.

Maybe get a cheap phone in the UK to use whilst youre over here, if it's only for a short period of time?

Not my use, that 2cents was it....:/
Old Mar 5th 2011, 8:48 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the need to get it unlocked in the UK.

But if that's done, is it possible to have a phone that essentially has 2 numbers... a Canadian one in Canada, and a UK one in the UK?

I know the Canadian number wouldn't work while I was in the UK (the phone wouldn't have a Telus GSM card in it), but is there any reason why the the UK number wouldn't work while I was in Canada if the Vodafone card was in it?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:06 pm
Travelbug

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the need to get it unlocked in the UK.

But if that's done, is it possible to have a phone that essentially has 2 numbers... a Canadian one in Canada, and a UK one in the UK?

I know the Canadian number wouldn't work while I was in the UK (the phone wouldn't have a Telus GSM card in it), but is there any reason why the the UK number wouldn't work while I was in Canada if the Vodafone card was in it?
Yeah, you would just swap your sims over for whatever country youre in. If your phone is unlocked, you can put whatever sim card in and use it. It might not store your numbers, especially if they're all stored on your SIM rather than your phone's memory, but you can use it.

Say you put your friends SIM in your unlocked phone, he/she could text from it from their number, just like they text from their own phone. Does that make sense? I'm not v good at expressing it!

Your Vodaphone SIM should pick up signal in Canada. It will cost more to use, obviously, because you'll be overseas (because it's Vodaphone UK) - it'll just find the nearest provider.

I don't know anything about the Canadian networks etc so I have NO idea why you're experiencing issues with your Blackberry. Have you tried taking out your SIM and putting it back in? I had that issue when I went to Denmark, but that was a phone issue not a service provider.

Usually when you're out of your normal range, per se, and your network cannot connect, your phone says "No Service" or something similar, rather than Insert Sim. But maybe Blackberry's are different! I would deffo try taking out the sim and putting it back in again though, just in case. (just like turning it on and off again; you never know!)
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Thanks poubelle, that's helpful.

The Canadian system (CDMA?) does not use sim cards. My BlackBerry does not have a sim card in it, hence my question wondering what would happen if it had a Vodafone sim card in it, in Canada. Which number takes priority?

If I want to use my Telus (Canadian network) number in the UK, I'd need to put in a Telus GSM card specifically for use on GSM networks.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:24 pm
Travelbug

The Canadian system (CDMA?) does not use sim cards. My BlackBerry does not have a sim card in it, hence my question wondering what would happen if it had a Vodafone sim card in it, in Canada. Which number takes priority?

If I want to use my Telus (Canadian network) number in the UK, I'd need to put in a Telus GSM card specifically for use on GSM networks.
Oooh, okay. Well, I'm not too sure then re: putting the Vodaphone card into the Blackberry. I assumed all phones were the same and they all came with their SIM card etc. That's opened my eyes to what to do when I come over! Ummm, I'm not too sure. Have you googled it? Maybe someone else might be more of a wizz/more familiar with the Canadian system.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 9:52 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I bet this helps.

"You need to know if the phone is unlocked and with WCDMA 850mhz/1900 mhz / 2100mHz compatible. Telus band is 800mHz to 1900 mHz with data is 2100 mHz. If the tri-band frequencies requirement match, the device will work. One thing you should aware, getting a simcard, if you`re not already had one, make sure it`s the newest WCDMA/HSPA sim.
Someone said: There are plenty device came with 900 mhz / 1900 mhz and 2100 mhz. It will not work with telus because 900 mhz is the Asian and EU frequencies. Another think you have to make sure, Not a GSM quadband 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100 frequencies devices. That's for Fido and Rogers."
Old Mar 5th 2011, 10:15 pm
Lowering the tone

That proves my point - these comms boffins couldn't make it sound any more like sorcery if they actually tried. Maybe I should just stick to payphones.

Incidentally, for the first time in years, I used a payphone at Heathrow last week - as a result of my unexpected comms blackout - and the minimum charge to start the call was 60p.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poubelle
Oooh, okay. Well, I'm not too sure then re: putting the Vodaphone card into the Blackberry. I assumed all phones were the same and they all came with their SIM card etc. That's opened my eyes to what to do when I come over! Ummm, I'm not too sure. Have you googled it? Maybe someone else might be more of a wizz/more familiar with the Canadian system.
Bell (including Virgin Mobile) and Telus do not use SIM cards generally. You can buy SIM cards for these companies, for use in an unlocked phone for example, but the phones you buy from them to use with their service usually have a bit of silvery tape over where you would put a SIM card in. The phones automatically are assigned to their network. I'd never heard of it before I came to Canada, but chances are another country that has a sub-third world communications network employs similar tactics.

You'd probably be automatically routed via your vodafone SIM (ie - pay roaming charges as though you were a Brit overseas).
You'd have to take the SIM card out.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:06 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Go into a mobile shop - any make and tell them the problem - they SHOULD let you try a SIM to see if it works. OR ask a friend relative from the Uk if you could out their sim in your phone and see if it works- if yes- go buy a SIM
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:58 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poubelle
.... I assumed all phones were the same and they all came with their SIM card etc...
In Canada, Rogers and Fido (same company really) use SIM cards.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:50 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
In Canada, Rogers and Fido (same company really) use SIM cards.
in other words 850/1900 gsm services in canada work on the rogers network only and require a sim card.
bell, telus etc have built their original network on cdma technology - the handset itself is registered to the phone number. no sim card.
gsm and cdma phones are not interchangable.

- the above is valid for "standard" 2g phones.
- enter the 3g+ phone generation and telus services need a sim card as well.
- if you buy your 3g+ device from telus it is most likely locked and will not work on any other network.
- i'm not entirely sure if there are blackberry specific hurdles to complicate the matter.

obviously i'm a telus customer, when my telus cdma phone finally died, i got myself an unlocked 3g+ phone and put a telus sim card in.
this setting will only work where i have 3g coverage (since it is not a cdma phone) but i'm able to easily change to any standard gsm sim card if need arises. since gsm has long since become a world standard (exept for north america, where some major carriers cling to the imo outdated cdma technology) i rather have it this way around...

Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Hi Guys,

Been reading this thread and think I have understood but could someone varify for me.

My son has just got a Blackberry on Orange. If I get it unlocked will he be able to use it I Canada? Should I get it unlocked before we move or once in Canada?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Tracy
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:41 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracys
Hi Guys,

Been reading this thread and think I have understood but could someone varify for me.

My son has just got a Blackberry on Orange. If I get it unlocked will he be able to use it I Canada? Should I get it unlocked before we move or once in Canada?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Tracy

Make sure the phone is a tri or quad ban, get it unlocked there and you should be good to go here with any sim card from your choice of provider.

It cost $20 to unlock phones here with one of the numerous online vendors. I unlocked my nokia quad band in June before going to peru, and a local card bought over there worked just fine.
Old Sep 10th 2011, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

tracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud oftracys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Make sure the phone is a tri or quad ban, get it unlocked there and you should be good to go here with any sim card from your choice of provider.

It cost $20 to unlock phones here with one of the numerous online vendors. I unlocked my nokia quad band in June before going to peru, and a local card bought over there worked just fine.
Thanks ultrarunner, my son will be pleased, especially as he paid for phone himself from his birthday money. OH will be even more pleased we haven't got to buy him another

Do you know if you can get monthly sim only rolling contracts in Canada or do you have to take out a long contract, even with your own phone?

Tracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.