BITCOIN

Old Jan 9th 2018, 6:43 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BITCOIN

Originally Posted by Shard
Really? The power to run the computers that 'mine' the algorithms is significant enough to be a concern? It just sounds so far fetched, and aimed at adding another layer of mythology to the scheme. Google and Facebook seem to operate their vast computer farms without environmental concerns.
I know you're making it up, but I simply don't believe it. Sometimes these stories come out in dodgy research and end up getting amplified in the mainstream press. I'm no engineer, so I may be wrong, but it sounds implausible to me.
They're incredibly expensive to mine.

Here's the antminer: Bitmain Antminer S9 14TH/s + PSU 180 days Warranty – Bit miner shop

$2400 plus HST upfront and then it'd cost about $197 a month to run full time in Ontario.

Now imagine you have multiple devices.

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 9th 2018 at 6:46 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:20 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Glad to have been of service!
The principle here, and one we should all observe, is to always be skeptical and never believe what you're told unless you trust the source or convince yourself that what you're being told is probably true.

In addition, never be afraid to alter your view if and when evidence suggests otherwise.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

Here's the antminer: Bitmain Antminer S9 14TH/s + PSU 180 days Warranty – Bit miner shop

$2400 plus HST upfront and then it'd cost about $197 a month to run full time in Ontario.

What does a device like this do?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:49 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM

multiple devices is the start of it. Racks of 6 of these per shelf, stacked 4 shelves high in a frame, let's say 20 or so frames in a smallish datacentre. That's 480 units x $2500 to buy is over a million bucks just for the hardware, then another million or so per year for the hydro to run them ($200 x 480 units x 12 months). Plus paying somebody to maintain them, and for the building to put them in, and the additional hydro to run the a/c for the building... that's a lot of investment for a not-very-futureproof return, IMO.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 7:53 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

What does a device like this do?
It performs the calculations that compute the algorithm that unlocks the bitcoin.

https://www.investopedia.com/tech/ho...n-mining-work/

It's not an effective way of doing anything unless you have many many of these things running simultaneously - the computing power needed to be the first to find the "hash" solution is effectively a brute-force problem so there is a natural tendency to escalate the hardware to ridiculous levels in order to "win the race" and be awarded the bitcoin.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Really? The power to run the computers that 'mine' the algorithms is significant enough to be a concern? It just sounds so far fetched, and aimed at adding another layer of mythology to the scheme. Google and Facebook seem to operate their vast computer farms without environmental concerns.
I can believe it, some of the rigs they use in Hong Kong and China are huge. The GPU is the most power hungry part of the system so multiple GPUs running at maximum capacity, I can believe they're using vast amounts of energy.

https://qz.com/1055126/photos-china-...bitcoin-mines/
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

So should bit coins be valued by the profit an electricity provider can generate from making them? A bit like electricity shares being valued by the earning per share?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

It performs the calculations that compute the algorithm that unlocks the bitcoin.

It's not an effective way of doing anything unless you have many many of these things running simultaneously - the computing power needed to be the first to find the "hash" solution is effectively a brute-force problem so there is a natural tendency to escalate the hardware to ridiculous levels in order to "win the race" and be awarded the bitcoin.
Good article.

Aside from eventual government interference, and electricity costs, there's a clear diminishing returns spiral as more and more 'mining' capacity is added. Classic bubble.

Last edited by Shard; Jan 9th 2018 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 8:53 pm
Yo

Here, for example, is a video produced by a middling Quebec-based bitcoin farm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGo1bS2LVLY Near the beginning is a caption boasting of the 10 megawatt facility. That's about the equivalent consumption of 6,000 North American households. For one farm. One smallish farm. You do the rest of the math...

Any company that thinks it's worthwhile to produce such a self-congratulatory video ("we use sustainable energy") strikes me as having to work hard to defend its reputation against valid criticism - but maybe it's just that my cynical mind (as a former PR practitioner and current marketing person) is too jaded for the naive environmentalists operating bitcoin farms...
I like the faux Stephen Hawking voiceover, nice touch, should sucker a few more people in. What an industry! Ultra rare tulips anyone?
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:12 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

A very good aricle and one that explains why all the computing power is necessary. It also suggests, and I totally agree with it, that mining is like hitting your head with a hammer, it hurts. Best to sell the pills to ease the headache. The article suggests investing in AMD and the like, but with the value of bitcoin fluctuating so wildly on an hourly basis then surely the more acutely aware will invest in the currency itself and you can see it happening in real time at https://bitcointicker.co/. Fascinating really.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 9:41 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by dave_j
A very good aricle and one that explains why all the computing power is necessary. It also suggests, and I totally agree with it, that mining is like hitting your head with a hammer, it hurts. Best to sell the pills to ease the headache. The article suggests investing in AMD and the like, but with the value of bitcoin fluctuating so wildly on an hourly basis then surely the more acutely aware will invest in the currency itself and you can see it happening in real time at https://bitcointicker.co/. Fascinating really.
That isn't investing, that's trading.
Old Jan 9th 2018, 11:40 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
So should bit coins be valued by the profit an electricity provider can generate from making them? A bit like electricity shares being valued by the earning per share?
A Bitcoin is valued by what someone is prepared to pay for it unfortunately.

At the moment every man and his dog at my local Hooters is some sort of crypto expert.

I did read earlier of an ETF launching that will cover a spectrum of the bigger crypto "currencies".
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

My economics teacher was trying to explain money to the class, basically he said, money is what money does...money was a means of paying for things if it was accepted at the place where you intend carrying out a transaction, this included credit cards, shop cards, currency, gold or anything else that would be accepted as payment counted. Bitcoin was one of those recently that could be included in this, but since it has become highly speculative, it is no longer money In my view because you don't know when you receive your .0000157 of a bit coin for selling a coffee is worth the coffee you just sold. What I don't know is what charges are incurred if you tried to flog your minute fraction of a bit coin on to a dealer, would the cost make this transaction worthless? I think there are to many sales teams trying far too hard to make people believe that this is a legit commodity, that it is just too risky. Do I need to bring up the emperors new clothes again?
Old Jan 10th 2018, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

CES 2018: Kodak soars on KodakCoin and Bitcoin mining plans - BBC News

Now you can mine your own....I am flabbergasted
Old Jan 10th 2018, 1:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Now you can mine your own....I am flabbergasted
Mine your own business

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.