Bike mad people?

Old Sep 4th 2017, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bike mad people?

Is there a significant difference in power between a 50cc and 150cc scooter?

Obviously I know the 150cc will go faster but other then that I don't know much else.

I have a 50cc right now since it doesn't require a class 6. It gets up to 70km/hr unless a hill then it maxes out at around 55-60km/h/

Most of my commute is level so I can hit 65km/hr no issue for the most part.

Speed limit on most of my journey is 50 max with the road into the airport 60 max.

Haven't had any issues with the 50cc in traffic since traffic rarely moves quickly in Vancouver...lol

Just trying to decide if there is any advantage to getting the class 6 license and upgrading to a 150cc scooter.

I have no interest in a full size motorcycle.

My 50cc is a 2 stroke but seems most of the 150cc I see are 4 stroke, unsure if that makes any difference or not.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 7:19 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is there a significant difference in power between a 50cc and 150cc scooter?

Obviously I know the 150cc will go faster but other then that I don't know much else.

I have a 50cc right now since it doesn't require a class 6. It gets up to 70km/hr unless a hill then it maxes out at around 55-60km/h/

Most of my commute is level so I can hit 65km/hr no issue for the most part.

Speed limit on most of my journey is 50 max with the road into the airport 60 max.

Haven't had any issues with the 50cc in traffic since traffic rarely moves quickly in Vancouver...lol

Just trying to decide if there is any advantage to getting the class 6 license and upgrading to a 150cc scooter.

I have no interest in a full size motorcycle.

My 50cc is a 2 stroke but seems most of the 150cc I see are 4 stroke, unsure if that makes any difference or not.
If it works for you, why change?

Have a read of this

Don’t Make the Big 50cc Scooter Mistake – Scooter Lust

If in the future carrying pax is your goal, you need to take a class 6 road test on an over 200cc MC. Under 200cc and there is a no pax restriction. Personally if no pax is a consideration, and it seems you are OK on the performance you are getting a 50 would likley do if you already have one. On a 150 insurance is higher too.

Last edited by Aviator; Sep 4th 2017 at 7:29 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
If it works for you, why change?

Have a read of this

Don’t Make the Big 50cc Scooter Mistake – Scooter Lust
The 50cc only cost me the cost of a battery, wasn't a large investment. It works, just thinking about future as the 50cc isn't exactly new, it's 12 years old, but the basically free cost of it was a good way to give a scooter a go.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 7:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The 50cc only cost me the cost of a battery, wasn't a large investment. It works, just thinking about future as the 50cc isn't exactly new, it's 12 years old, but the basically free cost of it was a good way to give a scooter a go.
You have insurance on the 50?

If buying another one, I would seriously consider the 150. A MC rider course is worth doing, the cost is around $800.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 7:55 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

How far is your commute from home to work?
Old Sep 4th 2017, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

You have insurance on the 50?

If buying another one, I would seriously consider the 150. A MC rider course is worth doing, the cost is around $800.
Yes, liability insurance only. $30/month. It's fully licensed and registered with plate.

We got to a point the car wasn't feasible cost wise, and getting to/from work on transit is impossible since it doesn't run early enough, or late enough.

Trying to find a solution so I can keep the job as I do like the job.

Commute is 16km one way. Takes me about 24 mins in the morning with no traffic and 40 mins with traffic, about 4 mins and 9 mins longer then the average when I was driving a car.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 9:16 pm

Yes, liability insurance only. $30/month. It's fully licensed and registered with plate.

We got to a point the car wasn't feasible cost wise, and getting to/from work on transit is impossible since it doesn't run early enough, or late enough.

Trying to find a solution so I can keep the job as I do like the job.

Commute is 16km one way. Takes me about 24 mins in the morning with no traffic and 40 mins with traffic, about 4 mins and 9 mins longer then the average when I was driving a car.
Maybe run the 50 until it is no use any more, then upgrade? The cost is an investment in the job. You may get a promotion and more money to buy a new scooter. You never know. Glad you have a job you enjoy. Ride safe.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 9:32 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Stick with the 50 for now. No point spending money on a 150 if you're only looking at a few minutes difference. Just enjoy the fact that every journey on the 50 is saving you $X compared to the car.
Old Sep 4th 2017, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Stick with the 50 for now. No point spending money on a 150 if you're only looking at a few minutes difference. Just enjoy the fact that every journey on the 50 is saving you $X compared to the car.
I certainly love the $8/week gas fill up...
Old Sep 4th 2017, 9:55 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe run the 50 until it is no use any more, then upgrade? The cost is an investment in the job. You may get a promotion and more money to buy a new scooter. You never know. Glad you have a job you enjoy. Ride safe.
This would be my plan too, when the 50 gives up then go for the 150

FWIW the 150 is a four stroke engine so no two stroke oil to add and other than a significant feel of more power the engine will last much longer than a two stroke engine, MPG will be similar for both
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:23 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I gave one of my bikes a bit of a refresh this weekend. I purchased it with very low miles, but it was a bit cosmetically scruffy (matte black paint - see post #25). I've repainted it in Ducati Corse colours and fitted a touring seat which gives a little more leg room and and more bum space.
Attached Thumbnails Bike mad people?-img_2895.jpg   Bike mad people?-img_2896.jpg   Bike mad people?-img_2897.jpg  
Old Sep 5th 2017, 12:39 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Wow the difference is night n day, so much better looking now Rich
Old Sep 5th 2017, 3:38 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I gave one of my bikes a bit of a refresh this weekend. I purchased it with very low miles, but it was a bit cosmetically scruffy (matte black paint - see post #25). I've repainted it in Ducati Corse colours and fitted a touring seat which gives a little more leg room and and more bum space.
That looks really lovely
Old Sep 5th 2017, 4:06 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Wow the difference is night n day, so much better looking now Rich
Originally Posted by Piff Poff
That looks really lovely
Thank you. I've painted small bits and pieces on bikes before, but nothing quite as adventurous as this project, so I'm pretty pleased with the results.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 2:33 pm

Nice paint job. Maybe another career option?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.