Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best Canadian biome or eco-region

Best Canadian biome or eco-region

Old Jun 25th 2014, 11:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Canadian biome or eco-region

Originally Posted by Shard
If it has a pool, it counts!
I like your thinking. Sometimes there's no bar which means one has to use one's extensive survivalist knowledge.

Originally Posted by bc_guy
Not really. However, it's a part of an anthropogenic/artificial biome created by humans.
That's a shame.

We went glamping in Bon Echo park, now that place is paradise to me.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burks
So are you more looking for multi-day hikes?
Yes, multi-day recreational hikes that are no longer than a week.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 1:42 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

What does it take to get these licenses? I plan to start small and gradually work my way up as I gain more confidence and survival skills. I'm an amateur but I know a few people who go camping and hiking in BC on a regular basis. It's not really the survivalist, on-your-own type though. The most I've ever done was day camp out by the river and cook store-bought meat over an open flame, but didn't stay for the night.
There are some trap lines up for auction about now.
B.C. traplines auction the first in several years - British Columbia - CBC News
Old Jun 26th 2014, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Have you been watching too much Discovery Channel ?!

Next you'll be buying automatic weapons and moving to Montana.
I actually saw that Discovery Channel Program you're talking about. It's called After Armageddon. However, they moved to Idaho in the end, not Montana. In the event of any kind of apocalypse or economic collapse, hunting skills aren't as useful as you think since it'll only drive many animals to extinction or near-extinction while still not feeding everyone. What's most likely to happen is that people living in small countryside towns will just continue to grow their own food and feed themselves. Other skilled tradespeople in those towns would do other work in exchange for food and some cooperative inter-town trading would take place to ensure that all people get what they need. There's no need for hunting and gathering in that case. All you need is a really useful skill (like farming or welding) that people actually need for survival.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 2:39 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I don't know what a Biome is but presumably in Canada there are three:
  • ****ing Cold
  • ****ing Hot
  • ****ing Flies!
You missed out[*]****ing Mosquitos!
Old Jun 26th 2014, 8:26 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I actually saw that Discovery Channel Program you're talking about. It's called After Armageddon. However, they moved to Idaho in the end, not Montana. In the event of any kind of apocalypse or economic collapse, hunting skills aren't as useful as you think since it'll only drive many animals to extinction or near-extinction while still not feeding everyone. What's most likely to happen is that people living in small countryside towns will just continue to grow their own food and feed themselves. Other skilled tradespeople in those towns would do other work in exchange for food and some cooperative inter-town trading would take place to ensure that all people get what they need. There's no need for hunting and gathering in that case. All you need is a really useful skill (like farming or welding) that people actually need for survival.
I didn't see any programs, I just know that's the kind of fanciful stuff they produce. I think you're missing my cultural reference point Montana. It's where the US anti-government nutjobs tend to reside, rejecting the idea of taxes and heavy on the firepower in case the evil Government attempts to impose any limits on their freedom! Not suggesting you are really like that, just a bit of ironic banter.

I've done the sort of free camping you're referring to in the Canadian wilderness. (Back in the day!) It's perfectly feasible if you take your own food, as you should, and take precautions not to encounter any serious wildlife. Safer to go as a small group than as an individual or couple.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh yeah, the Montana Militia and Christian Identity nutjobs live there. I've heard of them. There's also Theodore Kaczynski who had an entire bomb-making operation in some small, remote cabin in the wilderness. That place actually does attract people who are looking for a sparsely populated place to reside for a variety of reasons. On one hand, it attracts right-wing whack job religious fundamentalists and white supremacists. Then on the other hand, it attracts respectable environmental biologists like Hank Green. Speaking of Hank Green, he had actually made a recent video about his current residence in Montana. It doesn't sound like too many people in Missoula are nutjobs:

Last edited by bc_guy; Jun 26th 2014 at 3:45 pm. Reason: Some weird glitch
Old Jun 26th 2014, 4:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going to camp out in the wilds, you really only need to take the bear necessities.

Old Jun 26th 2014, 4:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you are going to camp out in the wilds, you really only need to take the bear necessities.

Old Jun 26th 2014, 7:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

On a more serious note, lol, there are some good links and info on the following websites.

Parks Canada - Learn to Camp - Experience Camping
Learn to Camp at Ontario Parks
-> links to all the Provincial parks: http://www.pc.gc.ca/media/ltc-dlc/ltc-dlc05.aspx
Parks Canada - Wilderness Camping
AlbertaParks.ca - Visit Our Parks - Backcountry Camping
Visiting Parks - BC Parks - Province of British Columbia
Ontario Outdoor - Water Adventures
Canadian Parks Information

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 26th 2014 at 7:07 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the useful links. Also, a lifetime supply of the 'bear' necessities (a single can of bear spray) costs about $50, lol. However, I'm not exactly sure of its legality of use in Canada. The other bare necessities/supplies costs around $1500 in total, which isn't too bad.
Old Jun 26th 2014, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Cathedral Lakes is nice for a 2 or 3 day hike Cathedral Provincial Park and Protected Area - BC Parks or using Sugar lake as a base and hiking up into Monashee Provincial park is also a great trip - lots of wildlife, Moose Grizzly Bear etc. Lots of great multi-day hikes around Wells Gray park as well. Westcoast trail is on our list as is the John Muir Trail Down in the US which is a couple of weeks hike Complete Guide to John Muir Trail Homepage The list is endless! Which is one of the reasons BC is such an awesome place to live!
Old Jun 27th 2014, 1:14 am
Banned

Thanks for the useful links. Also, a lifetime supply of the 'bear' necessities (a single can of bear spray) costs about $50, lol. However, I'm not exactly sure of its legality of use in Canada. The other bare necessities/supplies costs around $1500 in total, which isn't too bad.
Oh it is totally legal in Canada - provided you mean using it against bears.

Kodiak Wildlife Products - Bear Pepper Spray

Parks Canada - Bears in the Mountain National Parks - Bear spray
Old Jun 27th 2014, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I don't know what a Biome is but presumably in Canada there are three:
  • ****ing Cold
  • ****ing Hot
  • ****ing Flies!
Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Oh it is totally legal in Canada - provided you mean using it against bears.

Kodiak Wildlife Products - Bear Pepper Spray

Parks Canada - Bears in the Mountain National Parks - Bear spray
Thanks for the info. Also, I learned that the spray actually does have an expiration date, but it's still cost effective.