Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Best Canadian biome or eco-region

Best Canadian biome or eco-region

Old Jun 25th 2014, 8:44 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Canadian biome or eco-region

Personally I prefer to camp out in front of the telly or if I'm feeling outdoorsy I'll cross the courtyard to my local bar.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 8:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc_guy
Well, I'm more into the hardcore survivalist camping where you temporarily live off the land for a few days at a time. The biome and eco-region actually matters a lot. For example, I'd much rather camp out in one of the west coast's montane forests or in the prairies (during the summer) than someplace with really dense and impenetrable vegetation (like the ones in the tropics). I'd seriously get exhausted really quickly if I had to constantly cut vegetation out of my way in order to go anywhere. Then you also have to consider the type of wildlife that lives around you and how easy it is to repel them or avoid getting bitten or poisoned by them.

I know someone who knows a group of Canadians who tried to camp out in the deep of the Amazon rainforest. Thousands of dollars worth of camping equipment was destroyed or rendered unusable by mold because they didn't know very much about their environment and how to properly prepare for a radically different environment like a hot and humid rainforest with nutrient-thick air/winds blowing through it. Every time you put your food or drink down for even a few minutes, insects try to form colonies on it. How those guys made it out of the jungle alive is completely beyond me.

Survivalist camping for a few days.

Have you seen the movie "Into the Wild"? A good story (and film).
Old Jun 25th 2014, 8:56 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Does the Holiday Inn group count as a Bio Me?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
If it has a pool, it counts!
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Survivalist camping for a few days.

Have you seen the movie "Into the Wild"? A good story (and film).
I've never seen that movie but it looks interesting. I have to watch that later. But yes, a few days, not a few weeks. I have to start small and work my way up. A nice, cool, dry place like Vancouver Island is a good place to start. Then I can gradually work my way up to more extreme eco-regions. There are no poisonous snakes or excessively dangerous animals on the island. All you really need is a can of bear spray and a dog to sniff out cougars.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond reputebc_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Not really. However, it's a part of an anthropogenic/artificial biome created by humans.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:18 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm more into the hardcore survivalist camping where you temporarily live off the land for a few days at a time. The biome and eco-region actually matters a lot. For example, I'd much rather camp out in one of the west coast's montane forests or in the prairies (during the summer) than someplace with really dense and impenetrable vegetation (like the ones in the tropics). I'd seriously get exhausted really quickly if I had to constantly cut vegetation out of my way in order to go anywhere. Then you also have to consider the type of wildlife that lives around you and how easy it is to repel them or avoid getting bitten or poisoned by them.

I know someone who knows a group of Canadians who tried to camp out in the deep of the Amazon rainforest. Thousands of dollars worth of camping equipment was destroyed or rendered unusable by mold because they didn't know very much about their environment and how to properly prepare for a radically different environment like a hot and humid rainforest with nutrient-thick air/winds blowing through it. Every time you put your food or drink down for even a few minutes, insects try to form colonies on it. How those guys made it out of the jungle alive is completely beyond me.
You do, presumably, realise that "survivalist" camping would be beset by red tape and regulation in most of Canada? Trapping of fur-bearing animals is licensed and regulated, with closed seasons and quotas and all sorts of good stuff. Fishing is likely to require a license. Where and when you can pitch a tent or put up a bivouac is controlled in many national and provincial parks (though I'm not sure what the regs are for BC crown lands, for example). Protection of food, equipment and yourself against bears/coyotes/other wildlife is a non-trivial consideration.

Unless you know what you're doing or have an experienced wild camper in your party, I'd strongly advise that you stick to designated camp grounds, and plan to carry-in/carry-out all your gear and most of your food.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

I actually know someone who went camping there back when I lived on the island. I so envy that person.
It's one of those things I like to think I will do one day.. just like how I used to think I would play for England one day (probably more realistic than I thought it would have been judging by the state of their Brazil performances!)

Is this the kind of survivalist camp you're thinking of?

Zombie Survival Camp
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
You do, presumably, realise that "survivalist" camping would be beset by red tape and regulation in most of Canada? Trapping of fur-bearing animals is licensed and regulated, with closed seasons and quotas and all sorts of good stuff. Fishing is likely to require a license. Where and when you can pitch a tent or put up a bivouac is controlled in many national and provincial parks (though I'm not sure what the regs are for BC crown lands, for example). Protection of food, equipment and yourself against bears/coyotes/other wildlife is a non-trivial consideration.

Unless you know what you're doing or have an experienced wild camper in your party, I'd strongly advise that you stick to designated camp grounds, and plan to carry-in/carry-out all your gear and most of your food.
What does it take to get these licenses? I plan to start small and gradually work my way up as I gain more confidence and survival skills. I'm an amateur but I know a few people who go camping and hiking in BC on a regular basis. It's not really the survivalist, on-your-own type though. The most I've ever done was day camp out by the river and cook store-bought meat over an open flame, but didn't stay for the night.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by burks
It's one of those things I like to think I will do one day.. just like how I used to think I would play for England one day (probably more realistic than I thought it would have been judging by the state of their Brazil performances!)

Is this the kind of survivalist camp you're thinking of?

Zombie Survival Camp
I think that preparing for a zombie apocalypse is a bit far fetched. Actually, this survivalist stuff is purely a recreational hobby for me. Although, it has the added benefit of me being able to cope better than most if society ever collapses. If our civilization collapses, we cannot realistically feed everyone through hunting and gathering. The entire earth can only support around 10 million people using hunting and gathering alone. We need modern agriculture to feed everyone nowadays. Competition between all the newly hungry people will be the real challenge if society ever collapses. The challenge of surviving in the wild pales in comparison. No matter how good a hunter you are, if there's no game to catch due to an overshot human population, your skills are essentially useless.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

What does it take to get these licenses? I plan to start small and gradually work my way up as I gain more confidence and survival skills. I'm an amateur but I know a few people who go camping and hiking in BC on a regular basis. It's not really the survivalist, on-your-own type though. The most I've ever done was day camp out by the river and cook store-bought meat over an open flame, but didn't stay for the night.
So are you more looking for multi-day hikes?
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:43 pm
Yo

I think that preparing for a zombie apocalypse is a bit far fetched. Actually, this survivalist stuff is purely a recreational hobby for me. Although, it has the added benefit of me being able to cope better than most if society ever collapses. If our civilization collapses, we cannot realistically feed everyone through hunting and gathering. The entire earth can only support around 10 million people using hunting and gathering alone. We need modern agriculture to feed everyone nowadays. Competition between all the newly hungry people will be the real challenge if society ever collapses. The challenge of surviving in the wild pales in comparison. No matter how good a hunter you are, if there's no game to catch due to an overshot human population, your skills are essentially useless.
Have you been watching too much Discovery Channel ?!

Next you'll be buying automatic weapons and moving to Montana.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

haha the zombie survival camp thing was a joke..

Originally Posted by Shard
Have you been watching too much Discovery Channel ?!

Next you'll be buying automatic weapons and moving to Montana.
Who needs Montana when you have good ol' Texas ... Atlas Survival Shelters -> Survival Camp Photos
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:33 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Take meat with you. It's already been raised and killed and butchered. If you only intend to go for a few days then you'd just be killing something for the sake of it. And unless you're an experienced hunter, chances are you'd fk it up, and still be hungry. Seen Les Stroud's programmes? More often than not he doesn't eat for a week.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 10:39 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
More often than not he doesn't eat for a week.
Looking at the positives, with no food he doesn't have to worry about finding somewhere comfortable to poop and having to keep his botty clean and fresh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.