Belgian Bombings

Old Mar 24th 2016, 3:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Belgian Bombings

Originally Posted by magnumpi
We have many private investigation companies in Canada, and thru out the world, maybe we could use their skills to track and monitors possible threats?
Are you after extra work?
Old Mar 24th 2016, 3:35 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Are you after extra work?
It would keep many companies busy I think, including me, at a reduced cost, but it will never happen.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 4:04 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

For democracy to actually work you need a fully educated population. Otherwise it just ends up in a tribal/ religious bunfight.

See the USA.... (you thought I was going to say africa didn't you)
Old Mar 24th 2016, 5:40 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
For democracy to actually work you need a fully educated population. Otherwise it just ends up in a tribal/ religious bunfight.

See the USA.... (you thought I was going to say africa didn't you)
But the whole problem is that ISIS is in a perfect position to flourish, because great portions of the Middle East and North Africa are smack bang in the middle of a tribal/religious bun fight. We might not have liked the previous leaders of many of those countries, or their method of governance, but they certainly kept the lid firmly on the pot.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
But the whole problem is that ISIS is in a perfect position to flourish, because great portions of the Middle East and North Africa are smack bang in the middle of a tribal/religious bun fight. We might not have liked the previous leaders of many of those countries, or their method of governance, but they certainly kept the lid firmly on the pot.
I think that we (the West) actually did like the previous leaders as long as they kept a lid on things (and the oil flowing westwards). As long as they did that we were indifferent to their methods of governance.

What has happened in the last few years seems to me to be a flowering of Arab nationalism. A groundswell of Arabs who want to determine their own future and that future does not involve subservience to The West or Western supported dictators. I don't think that bombing the s**t out of them or forcing a Western style and supported government on them is going to solve anything. (I know that you were not advocating this.) As Oakvillian says up thread, it is much more likely to escalate things unless we are prepared to carry out genocide on an previously unimaginable scale.

The West has to plan a way out, a way to disengage. There are Arab terrorists in the West because we are sticking our noses in where they are not wanted or needed.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 7:21 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The West has to plan a way out, a way to disengage. There are Arab terrorists in the West because we are sticking our noses in where they are not wanted or needed.
Totally agree

...did anyone mention the Balfor Declaration? We seem to just constantly stick our nose in and never learn from history. It has all been oil driven, I bet we'd resuscitate Ghadaffi in a heartbeat if we could, with Saddam not far behind - he might not have been the marsh Arabs best friend, but boy could he keeps those pumps flowing.

The problem is that so many young Arabs feel disenfranchised in Europe, chances for employment aren't great, and they've romanticized the reality of life in the countries they've originated from. They are ripe for the picking really....pity no positive forward thinking firebrands are stepping up to give them a cause for hope....not in my lifetime I fear.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:24 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see this discussion take a sensible turn.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 8:50 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Did anybody bring up Migrants from Syria yet

?
Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

France has intercepted an individual who has in advance stages of an attack. Although apparently no link to the attack this week or Paris a few months back.

Frenchman in 'advanced stages' of plotting attack arrested - World - CBC News
Old Mar 24th 2016, 11:31 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
France has intercepted an individual who has in advance stages of an attack. Although apparently no link to the attack this week or Paris a few months back.

Frenchman in 'advanced stages' of plotting attack arrested - World - CBC News
Oh my, how many more are out there with the same intentions, one just wonders?
Old Mar 25th 2016, 12:29 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Oh my, how many more are out there with the same intentions, one just wonders?
Hundreds if not thousands, I suspect.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 3:24 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

I don't belittle the events in Bruxelles but I do question the hysteria that results.
An IS attack has killed 30+and resulted in a 24 hour wall to wall takeover of news for days and generated a warning from the US State Department not to visit europe.
But.. in the US in 2015 in excess of 13000 gun related murders were recorded, a rate that is 30x that in the UK. In addition a further 33000 died on the US roads in 2014.
A cynic might argue that there is a great deal of financial inertia keeping the auto and gun industries motoring along whereas keeping people fearful assists the argument for more military and security spending, especially in an election year.
So where is the wall to wall coverage encouraging people to drive safer and appealing to people not to reach for a gun whenever they get a headache?
Old Mar 25th 2016, 12:44 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Good points Dave.

Comparable to the numerous travel questions I fielded in the 00's about safety in south africa. Everyone was petrified about gun crime. No one thought about how dangerous the roads are down there (due to the drivers, not road conditions)
Old Mar 25th 2016, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I don't belittle the events in Bruxelles but I do question the hysteria that results.
An IS attack has killed 30+and resulted in a 24 hour wall to wall takeover of news for days and generated a warning from the US State Department not to visit europe.
But.. in the US in 2015 in excess of 13000 gun related murders were recorded, a rate that is 30x that in the UK. In addition a further 33000 died on the US roads in 2014.
A cynic might argue that there is a great deal of financial inertia keeping the auto and gun industries motoring along whereas keeping people fearful assists the argument for more military and security spending, especially in an election year.
So where is the wall to wall coverage encouraging people to drive safer and appealing to people not to reach for a gun whenever they get a headache?
Bombings and shootings at airports don't happen every day. Unfortunately we become desensitized to every day events such as 3 killed in a highway accident or another shooting overnight in Chicago. There is always wall to wall coverage at a school shooting in the USA where several people are killed or injured. This has been going on for years and has anything changed?
Chicago averages over 200 shootings a month has anything changed?
A multitude of adverts and educational programmes, leaflets etc etc regarding drinking and driving and texting while driving have been put out but do they really change anything?

Don't forget the media love to sensationalize the latest breaking story that might hook viewers.

We are just getting reports that a plane is being diverted to London Heathrow.
Stay tuned for more exclusive coverage with our reporter at Heathrow.

End of the day the plane was diverted because of a medical emergency but Holy Crap for a few minutes will we see the plane blow up or crash?
Old Mar 25th 2016, 4:43 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Holy Crap for a few minutes will we see the plane blow up or crash?
I understand why the media behaves the way it does, I simply make the point that it's not doing the job well.
A corollary of your last point will lead to events like those found in the Roman Colliseum, the film 'The Running Man' and latterly 'The Hunger Games' to name but a few.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.