The Beer thread

Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:39 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Beer thread

I've always hated those slippery real ale twats in the pub. You know the ones, middle of the range company car, squash club and spewing tautologies at the bar while they're trying to come to terms with their boring sexless marriages blaming Barbara for putting on three stone since having the kids. Naff that for a laugh. Lager!

Last edited by Oink; Oct 16th 2017 at 2:54 am.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 11:28 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Proper English bitter, served in a dimpled pint mug, by a mildly racist, tin-legged old ex-Spitfire pilot with a pipe hanging out of his mouth.

None of these modern craft beers, allegedly hand-brewed on an iPad by an artisanal youth with a beard, a man-bun and a unicycle.

So-called "lager" is for football hooligans and ladies.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 12:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Proper English bitter, served in a dimpled pint mug, by a mildly racist, tin-legged old ex-Spitfire pilot with a pipe hanging out of his mouth.

Guinness
Dark ales
Pride
1664 / Stella / Peroni

Can't drink more than a pint at home (at rarely do); pub session, a different story.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 12:36 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

We have a brewery here in Ajax, "The Falcon Brewery" its 2 mins from my house, it's a full on microbrewery with a bar and patio. They make a 5% Ginger Beer, and a vast array of other beers too of course, but the Ginger beer was great to drink on them warm days we had. Not tried the other beers as yet, I only noticed the place a month ago, been open since Nov last year.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a bit of a beer snob....well I was before things just started getting silly with craft beer and artisinal ales. I like real ale, cool not warm or cold, served without use of a sparklet head if its not a Northern beer & preferably not kept under a CO2 keg-saver as that spoils the taste. Keep the lines clean & the beer flowing and its good. Try and serve me sour, vinegary shit and I'll bring it back. In that case replace it with something else without any fuss and all will be well.

When I moved to Newfoundland in 04, beer choice here was dire. Locally brewed industrial molson/labatts sh1t, one local micro - Quidi Vidi brewery, not much choice of anything else at the NLC. I can recall visiting NS in 05 and falling to my knees at the choice of british beer available at the NSLC. Fast forward to '17 and the there has been a beer revolution here (as in many places) with the choice having improved immeasurably. Of course much of it is craft beer stuff - IPA/APA's with an IBU count of 70 or more, and % alcohol of 6% plus, and thats OK sometimes but isn't sessionable. Plus there are imperial stouts, and spruce & maple beers, saisons, sours and god knows what else.

Peversely, the imported UK beer - Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin, London Pride etc - are cheaper than the domestic craft stuff. As is Murphys Stout and Bitburger pils. So those are my go to's, with the Bitburger hitting the spot when it's warmer. I'll also drink Quidi Vidi British IPA & the Pale Ale from the Yellowbelly brewpub in St John's. In extremis I'll take Keiths IPA (although to describe it as an IPA is similar to describing Donald Trump as "Self-effacing"...)

I'll be back in Blighty Thursday morning so Thursday evening will be here: https://www.timeout.com/london/bars-pubs/old-fountain doubtless enjoying a few pints and a burger.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'm a bit of a beer snob....well I was before things just started getting silly with craft beer and artisinal ales. I like real ale, cool not warm or cold, served without use of a sparklet head if its not a Northern beer & preferably not kept under a CO2 keg-saver as that spoils the taste. Keep the lines clean & the beer flowing and its good. Try and serve me sour, vinegary shit and I'll bring it back. In that case replace it with something else without any fuss and all will be well.

When I moved to Newfoundland in 04, beer choice here was dire. Locally brewed industrial molson/labatts sh1t, one local micro - Quidi Vidi brewery, not much choice of anything else at the NLC. I can recall visiting NS in 05 and falling to my knees at the choice of british beer available at the NSLC. Fast forward to '17 and the there has been a beer revolution here (as in many places) with the choice having improved immeasurably. Of course much of it is craft beer stuff - IPA/APA's with an IBU count of 70 or more, and % alcohol of 6% plus, and thats OK sometimes but isn't sessionable. Plus there are imperial stouts, and spruce & maple beers, saisons, sours and god knows what else.

Peversely, the imported UK beer - Speckled Hen, Hobgoblin, London Pride etc - are cheaper than the domestic craft stuff. As is Murphys Stout and Bitburger pils. So those are my go to's, with the Bitburger hitting the spot when it's warmer. I'll also drink Quidi Vidi British IPA & the Pale Ale from the Yellowbelly brewpub in St John's. In extremis I'll take Keiths IPA (although to describe it as an IPA is similar to describing Donald Trump as "Self-effacing"...)

I'll be back in Blighty Thursday morning so Thursday evening will be here: https://www.timeout.com/london/bars-pubs/old-fountain doubtless enjoying a few pints and a burger.
Tried anything from Storm Brewing?
Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty

None of these modern craft beers, allegedly hand-brewed on an iPad by an artisanal youth with a beard, a man-bun and a unicycle.

So-called "lager" is for football hooligans and ladies.
You would be ashamed of me last night then as I had this.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/covere...sexual/338246/

Quite refreshing and due to the relatively low alcohol level it was a responsible choice for a driver. No signs of any unicycles outside the pub where I had it.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Tried anything from Storm Brewing?
Yes, their Red Ale (not a fan) and their coffee porter (like). They're output seems to be a bit variable as one seldom finds their product in the liquor stores. Perhaps it all sells quickly - I know the Yellowbelly can't seem to keep their product on the shelves.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
You would be ashamed of me last night then as I had this.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/covere...sexual/338246/

Quite refreshing and due to the relatively low alcohol level it was a responsible choice for a driver. No signs of any unicycles outside the pub where I had it.
Oh I had that in the summer while visiting family in Stittsville. In fact went the brewery to try and buy various things & had a long chat with the bearded millenial who was serving. He was off to Heriott Watt Uni in Edinburgh to do a Masters in Brewing. Once upon a time I seriously considered doing the B.Sc in Brewing there.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:23 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Lager is for the smart sophisticated gentleman, brown beer drinkers holiday in a caravan and are called Reg
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Why o why do north americans insist on serving Guinness cold?

The "British Chippy" in Calgary also insists on serving Caffrey's and Guiness cold (using cans from a fridge), all while speaking with an English accent.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

The "British Chippy" in Calgary also insists on serving Caffrey's and Guiness cold (using cans from a fridge), all while speaking with an English accent.
It's available on an "Extra Cold" tap in the Blighty too. Different strokes for folks, I guess.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:50 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian

Why on earth would Guiness not be served cold? It's supposed to be cold.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 3:57 pm
Yo

Then there's this:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...draws-ire.html
Old Oct 16th 2017, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Why on earth would Guiness not be served cold? It's supposed to be cold.
I prefer Guinness the way it is served in Ireland - taken from a line of pints that have been poured prior to one's arrival at room temperature and certainly never "cold".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.