Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bed sizes - UK double bed base

Bed sizes - UK double bed base

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bed sizes - UK double bed base

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Uk King= US / canadian Queen!
The US/Can Queen in 2" longer than the UK King...makes a difference if the UK sheets are snug fitting.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

OOOOHHH !!!!!

never been up on sizes above double really - would you say the standard motel / hotel is a queen size ?

i'll have to check next time

certainly had a "looooooooooooad" of cushions on it . . .
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 8:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2008orbust
OOOOHHH !!!!!

never been up on sizes above double really - would you say the standard motel / hotel is a queen size ?

i'll have to check next time

certainly had a "looooooooooooad" of cushions on it . . .
They very could be 2 x queen size or 1 king.

BTW a UK double is the same size as a US/Can full. I think that's the only bed that's the same size in the UK and N.America.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:15 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Uk King= US / canadian Queen!
Ye, this is the closest match between Canadian and UK, it seems. On double/US Full only one dimension matches. I only have a double bed at the moment but I am looking forward the luxury of a King Size/US Queen Size when we get to Canada
That's on my wish list!
I take it prices are high for beds in Canada - mattresses certainly seem extremely expensive there from what my OH is telling me from B.C.
I am thinking it might well be cheaper to buy the whole lot here and ship it with the rest of our stuff.
Any more thoughts from anyone on the other side?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:17 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The US/Can Queen in 2" longer than the UK King...makes a difference if the UK sheets are snug fitting.
Think I am confused if you are correct! I need to check these again!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by helcat12
Ye, this is the closest match between Canadian and UK, it seems. On double/US Full only one dimension matches. I only have a double bed at the moment but I am looking forward the luxury of a King Size/US Queen Size when we get to Canada
That's on my wish list!
I take it prices are high for beds in Canada - mattresses certainly seem extremely expensive there from what my OH is telling me from B.C.
I am thinking it might well be cheaper to buy the whole lot here and ship it with the rest of our stuff.
Any more thoughts from anyone on the other side?
If you have transport mattresses in Costco seem to fly out of there. They sell memory foam mattresses and memory foam mattress toppers too. The toppers are great for bringing life back into an old or uncomfortable bed. My daughter has 2 twin mattresses with a king memory foam mattress topper...so comfy.

Do try a North Amerucan king...I hate the king I have in the UK now...far too small.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:32 pm
Island life at last

If you have transport mattresses in Costco seem to fly out of there. They sell memory foam mattresses and memory foam mattress toppers too. The toppers are great for bringing life back into an old or uncomfortable bed. My daughter has 2 twin mattresses with a king memory foam mattress topper...so comfy.

Do try a North Amerucan king...I hate the king I have in the UK now...far too small.
I am a big fan of memory foam toppers - have one here and it is snoozie heaven
At 6 feet tall, I struggle to lie with my legs stretched out properly in a UK double without bumping the end of the bed or my head touching the headboard. (OH is a short**se so it doesn't matter to him!)
I am dreaming of a HUGE Canadian bed where I can stretch my toes out and still not reach the end!
They do say Canada has more wide open spaces - I'll start with the bed
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I am a big fan of memory foam toppers - have one here and it is snoozie heaven
At 6 feet tall, I struggle to lie with my legs stretched out properly in a UK double without bumping the end of the bed or my head touching the headboard. (OH is a short**se so it doesn't matter to him!)
I am dreaming of a HUGE Canadian bed where I can stretch my toes out and still not reach the end!
They do say Canada has more wide open spaces - I'll start with the bed
The large beds are fab. Where are you moving to?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 10:58 pm
Island life at last

The large beds are fab. Where are you moving to?
B.C.OH is out there working on TWP at the moment and PR app has just gone in - Cat 2.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

B.C.OH is out there working on TWP at the moment and PR app has just gone in - Cat 2.
Nice. Never been myself but would love to take a trip there...everyone says it's stunning. Good luck.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:08 pm
Island life at last

Nice. Never been myself but would love to take a trip there...everyone says it's stunning. Good luck.
And stunningly expensive! But at least OH has a job, so we are off to a good start and the old homestead here should raise a bit, too.
I am thinking of renting the cats out for adverts to make some extra money - they are cute enough and can do a multitude of tricks as long as food is on the agenda!
They can pay for the bed - they spend a lot more time sleeping on it than I do In fact, I think they are the reason I need a North American supersize one.
Quilthogs
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:18 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If you bring mattresses you have to bring a LOT of bed linen as the sized don't match.

As for price, it depends on where and when you shop. Go to somewhere like The Bay and the prices will make your eyes water. If you must buy from them wait until there is a sale.

In Sleep Country sticker prices seem high but are extremely negotiable. They are rumored to have the occasional sale as well.

Costo, as ever, offer great value.

Don't ignore IKEA either. We sleep on an IKEA mattress that we bought in 2003. IIRC the mattress cost $450 and the pad $150. I am no lightweight by any stretch of the imagination but it is still as comfy as comfy can be.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 12:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

And stunningly expensive! But at least OH has a job, so we are off to a good start and the old homestead here should raise a bit, too.
I am thinking of renting the cats out for adverts to make some extra money - they are cute enough and can do a multitude of tricks as long as food is on the agenda!
They can pay for the bed - they spend a lot more time sleeping on it than I do In fact, I think they are the reason I need a North American supersize one.
Quilthogs
BTW beds in N America aren't like UK beds. UK beds have wheels on the base and stand a couple of inches off the floor. N A beds are usually on a metal frame or wooden bed frame...which is several inches off the floor.

IMO forget IKEA...go to Costco...you have to have transport for both as neither do delivery unless you shop online.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 2:43 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Yup I was confuddled when got here - bought the kids Queen beds, then got new linen for my UK King - way too big!!!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 11:01 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

BTW beds in N America aren't like UK beds. UK beds have wheels on the base and stand a couple of inches off the floor. N A beds are usually on a metal frame or wooden bed frame...which is several inches off the floor.

IMO forget IKEA...go to Costco...you have to have transport for both as neither do delivery unless you shop online.
Ikea will deliver , you do your shopping , pay a flat ratec, about $50 and then go to the desk to book your slot.

They will deliver anything that's not fragile

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.