BC Teachers strike

Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC Teachers strike

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If i were a total cynic I would think that reduced class sizes means more teachers employed, which means more union dues ...

I am not that bad. Yet.
There's absolutely no empirical evidence that reduced class sizes that the BCTF is arguing for, has any positive outcomes on student academic achievement. In fact, I believe there is research that shows the opposite, though I can't be arsed to look it up now the football's back on.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:08 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The BCTF is broke and can't afford strike pay anymore and it'll amount to thousands out of teachers pockets, not least they'll loose their end of year signing bonuses. The position is so week yet they've acted like they're 1960s TUC. The issue is that the public sees teachers as privileged professionals. In the battle for hearts and minds, they won't win.
Our neighbour, who is not a fully patched member of a school but some sort of Surestart person, has been pressganged and brow beaten into doing her time on the picket line. Not sure If I've posted this before or just ranted at home about it, but she was telling me that because she's in the Union but not a "proper" teacher, she has to do a 4 hour stint on the picket line. The "proper" professional teachers only have to do 2 hour stints.

I think that's just indefensible! Shame on you Chalky!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Because when it is politically expedient to do so the government will legislate them back to work on an inferior contract to what could have been achieved by negotiation.
God, Canada is so primitive isn't it?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:10 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

One of my neighbours is a teacher. I saw her walking the dog earlier, so she was enjoying the day off.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:17 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Our neighbour, who is not a fully patched member of a school but some sort of Surestart person, has been pressganged and brow beaten into doing her time on the picket line. Not sure If I've posted this before or just ranted at home about it, but she was telling me that because she's in the Union but not a "proper" teacher, she has to do a 4 hour stint on the picket line. The "proper" professional teachers only have to do 2 hour stints.

I think that's just indefensible! Shame on you Chalky!
ahahaha, this made me giggle. But you're right, that is total bollix.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

These are the current numbers as told by the BCTF (reported by CBC) ...

Iker said the BCTF brought a significantly lower wage offer to the talks, cutting their salary demands to eight per cent over five years, but with a $5,000 signing bonus. That would have put them within one per cent of the original government offer, he said.

In contrast, Iker said, the government returned with a reduced wage offer — from 7.25 per cent to seven per cent — with the original $1,200 signing offer.

That offer — either seven per cent over six years (or 8.5 per cent over seven years) — was, sources told CBC, the result of changes to the ratio between a proposed wage increase and concomitant lower benefits.

The original government offer of 7.25 per cent included a 0.75 per cent reduction in benefits which was rejected by the BCTF.

The new offer of seven per cent will not involve any claw back in terms of benefits, so in effect is a 0.5 per cent increase on the original offer.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
God, Canada is so primitive isn't it?
When it comes to labour relations in the public sector I can't help but agree.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:22 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Iker said the BCTF brought a significantly lower wage offer to the talks, cutting their salary demands to eight per cent over five years, but with a $5,000 signing bonus. That would have put them within one per cent of the original government offer, he said.

In contrast, Iker said, the government returned with a reduced wage offer — from 7.25 per cent to seven per cent — with the original $1,200 signing offer.

That offer — either seven per cent over six years (or 8.5 per cent over seven years) — was, sources told CBC, the result of changes to the ratio between a proposed wage increase and concomitant lower benefits.

The original government offer of 7.25 per cent included a 0.75 per cent reduction in benefits which was rejected by the BCTF.

The new offer of seven per cent will not involve any claw back in terms of benefits, so in effect is a 0.5 per cent increase on the original offer.
I read this too. What I have also been told - and I really don't know if this is true - is that the wage increases they are asking for, are OVER AND ABOVE the cost of living increases they get automatically.

No idea if this is, actually true, but if it is then.....WELL.......REALLY......
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I read this too. What I have also been told - and I really don't know if this is true - is that the wage increases they are asking for, are OVER AND ABOVE the cost of living increases they get automatically.

No idea if this is, actually true, but if it is then.....WELL.......REALLY......
Without claiming to be an expert of course that isn't true.

Are you confusing cost of living increases with seniority?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:38 pm
Born again atheist

That's not exactly what I'd call bargaining in good faith.

And 8% over 5 years is hardly profligate, is it?
Old Jun 17th 2014, 10:39 pm
"In cruce vincam"

No - not confusing the two things; just don't know if it's propaganda or true. I must admit it sounded a bit fanciful to me too.

Just stoking the fires a bit.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

That's not exactly what I'd call bargaining in good faith.
The bit below is important too - overall it is 0.5% better than their previous offer.

And 8% over 5 years is hardly profligate, is it?
I don't begrudge them a raise. I do object to being treated as an idiot.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 11:10 pm
Born again atheist

The bit below is important too - overall it is 0.5% better than their previous offer.

I don't begrudge them a raise. I do object to being treated as an idiot.
Fair enough. I'm not familiar with the concept of a signing bonus, but I'm guessing this is a one-time-only across the board flat rate increase?

I also don't know the average salary of BC teachers, but $5K OTO over 5 years also doesn't sound out of expectation.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:13 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Seniority raises are the sort of indefensible public sector bullshit that I'd get rid of as well.
Old Jun 18th 2014, 12:23 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Seniority raises are the sort of indefensible public sector bullshit that I'd get rid of as well.
Me too! There are a few teachers' at my girls' school who have been there donkeys' years and some of them are atrocious!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.