Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

BC bears and outdoor cats

BC bears and outdoor cats

Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default BC bears and outdoor cats

Hiya everyone, it's been a while since I've been here, great to see you again!

Okay, you might laugh, but this is an actual question.

*be kind

We live in NL (currently), we don't have bears, but we are looking to move to Vernon area (well, probably actually Vernon) soon.

I love trail walking and mountain biking bike trails, so Vernon is awesome for that, but what about bears, how do you deal with them, do you come across them often/from time to time?

I see 'bear spray', do you always carry that with you?

What does one do if you happen across them?

And, we have an outdoor cat, do you let your cats out, as I am also lead to believe you have other beasties that kill and eat cats (well, more and bigger things than livinging in NL).

Sorry for the stupid questions.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BC bears and outdoor cats

Originally Posted by the_tones_guy

*be kind

We live in NL (currently), we don't have bears, but we are looking to move to Vernon area (well, probably actually Vernon) soon.

I love trail walking and mountain biking bike trails, so Vernon is awesome for that, but what about bears, how do you deal with them, do you come across them often/from time to time?

And, we have an outdoor cat, do you let your cats out, as I am also lead to believe you have other beasties that kill and eat cats (well, more and bigger things than livinging in NL).

No question is stupid

If you do a search for 'bear' and the username 'Stinkypup' you might find the odd post/thread that is relevant (whilst you're waiting for replies) - I believe they live in that area.

My friend who lives just a little bit into the countryside between Dundas and Burlington (in Ontario) had a cat that liked to go outside.. sadly, she no longer does. Coyote I would be a bit reluctant to have an outside cat if you live outside of the town.

I would imagine it would depend on whether you are living in town or in the sticks, but I believe coyotes and cougars (the feline kind) are quite common around Vernon. I did a quick google search (cougar) and Coyote Facts - About Coyotes In The Okanagan British Columbia for your reading pleasure. Edited to add - perhaps not just out in the sticks!! http://infotel.ca/newsitem/three-cou...-in-bx/it13361

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 28th 2017 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute

This is great and thanks for that, I will have a read now, but yes, it's these animals my wife said is the reason the outdoor cat will become an indoor cat (he'll hate it, although he'll be alive)!

And when I was all over this move last year, I have a few DM conversations with 'Stinkypup', I also send a DM about some other stuff before posting this question.

Cheers.
*off to read some things now.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

All of our 6 cats go outside and we live rurally.

We do however make sure to bring them in at night.

One cat refused to come in (he was a cat from UK) and got savaged by 3 raccoons, but lived to tell the tale. He was 17, partially deaf & blind in one eye before they attacked him.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hawkmoon77
All of our 6 cats go outside and we live rurally.

We do however make sure to bring them in at night.

One cat refused to come in (he was a cat from UK) and got savaged by 3 raccoons, but lived to tell the tale. He was 17, partially deaf & blind in one eye before they attacked him.
I think the cats question is moot anyway, as my wife has already told me he will be an inside cat and I love your cat that fought the raccoons though, is his name 'Lucky'?

Anything to add to the bears bit of the question though, like if I'm out on my bike and there's a bear on the trail, do I just back away slowly or make a ton of noise or what do you do, is this a thing I should be dedicating this much worry to? And bear spray, does everyone carry it?
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:46 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to bears, pop over here: https://www.bear.org/website/ - have a read, especially the Bear Facts section.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Yes Bear Spray is a good option. If you come across a bear give it a couple squirts, if that fails then throw Turds at it, and believe me if the spray does not work there will be plenty of Sh.t around. As for Cats, outdoor cats in Rural, semi/rural areas don't seem to last very long, Coyotes, Cougars and Eagles love em. Ticks can be a problem too.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sharkus
When it comes to bears, pop over here: https://www.bear.org/website/ - have a read, especially the Bear Facts section.
Great link, reading now. Thank you.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
Yes Bear Spray is a good option. If you come across a bear give it a couple squirts, if that fails then throw Turds at it, and believe me if the spray does not work there will be plenty of Sh.t around. As for Cats, outdoor cats in Rural, semi/rural areas don't seem to last very long, Coyotes, Cougars and Eagles love em. Ticks can be a problem too.
Great reply, thank you.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
This is interesting: https://www.bear.org/website/bear-pa...uestions-.html
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond reputeHawkmoon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the cats question is moot anyway, as my wife has already told me he will be an inside cat and I love your cat that fought the raccoons though, is his name 'Lucky'?

Anything to add to the bears bit of the question though, like if I'm out on my bike and there's a bear on the trail, do I just back away slowly or make a ton of noise or what do you do, is this a thing I should be dedicating this much worry to? And bear spray, does everyone carry it?
He was called Kilmister, and just outlived the chap he was named after ... Lemmy
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:32 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I cycle down rural trails most weekends and black bears are quite common, particularly in the spring and fall. We get them wandering through the yard too.

Close encounters (coming out of my front door to see a bear 10ft away is the closest I've been), I back away slowly. Finding bears with cubs is the situation that's most worrisome - give them as wide a berth as possible. I've never carried any spray/deterrent, just respected their space and either observed them or moved away.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
I cycle down rural trails most weekends and black bears are quite common, particularly in the spring and fall. We get them wandering through the yard too.

Close encounters (coming out of my front door to see a bear 10ft away is the closest I've been), I back away slowly. Finding bears with cubs is the situation that's most worrisome - give them as wide a berth as possible. I've never carried any spray/deterrent, just respected their space and either observed them or moved away.
Wonderful advice thank you.
Old Jun 28th 2017, 8:11 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

*be kind

If you plan on hiking, I would invest in a bell to make some noise. You can buy bells that strap on to your backpack, belt etc.
I don't think I would have the balls to spray a charging bear in the face. fight-or-flight, I'd fly back the other way.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5006-727/Bear-Bell
Old Jun 28th 2017, 8:19 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
If you plan on hiking, I would invest in a bell to make some noise. You can buy bells that strap on to your backpack, belt etc.
I don't think I would have the balls to spray a charging bear in the face. fight-or-flight, I'd fly back the other way.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5006-727/Bear-Bell
I know it is old but...

The Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING in the national forests
for this summer. They're urging everyone to protect themselves by
wearing bells and carrying pepper spray.

Campers should be alert for signs of fresh bear activity, and they
should be able to tell the difference between Black Bear dung and
Grizzy Bear dung.

Black Bear dung is rather small and round. Sometimes you can see
fruit seeds and/or squirrel fur in it.

Grizzly Bear dung has bells in it, and smells like pepper spray!

Bear attack/kill stats show that there is a 50/50 split between Black bear and Grizzlies. Way more black bear encountered in Canada unless Banff, Kootenays, and up North mainly

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jun 28th 2017 at 8:24 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.