Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

BBC IPlayer to require a TV Licence from 1st September 2016

BBC IPlayer to require a TV Licence from 1st September 2016

Old Aug 10th 2016, 3:14 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: BBC IPlayer to require a TV Licence from 1st September 2016

Originally Posted by quiltman
I have used Filmon here in Philippines for 3 years. costs me $9.99 a month for 11 hours of recording. Once you've recorded a programme, downloaded and saved it, then you can free up that time used . so it's 11 hours at one time, not 11 hours a month as some people on another forum think! To me its worth every cent as I don't have to bother with VPNs - which would cost me at least the same. Quality is perfectly OK played on our 42" Panasonic. You can stream free, but it's a lower quality unless you pay for HD. We did stream the olympics opening ceremony and it never hiccuped.
I just bought a filmon subscription for a month to try it out. It's not bad. The website is a bit cluttered. I was tired of searching for free alternatives.
Old Aug 17th 2016, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
I have used Filmon here in Philippines for 3 years. costs me $9.99 a month for 11 hours of recording. Once you've recorded a programme, downloaded and saved it, then you can free up that time used . so it's 11 hours at one time, not 11 hours a month as some people on another forum think! To me its worth every cent as I don't have to bother with VPNs - which would cost me at least the same. Quality is perfectly OK played on our 42" Panasonic. You can stream free, but it's a lower quality unless you pay for HD. We did stream the olympics opening ceremony and it never hiccuped.
As of today Filmon have disabled the "download" feature so you can only record and stream, no more saving to USB or similar. Its a freakin pain because we used the download feature a lot as connecting the PC to TV is just fiddly and the streaming can be hit and miss from their servers.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

So, it's 1st September in the UK now.

Unless something is going to happen 'in the morning', it would appear that all that has happened is that they have changed the wording on TV Licensing and BBC websites that says 'you are a very naughty person, please stop watching BBC IPlayer live or we will fine you £1000 if we catch you...'

Will check again tomorrow morning...

Last edited by withabix; Sep 1st 2016 at 1:38 am.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 1:36 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix

Unless something is going to happen 'in the morning', it would appear that all that has happened is that they have changed the wording on TV Licensing and BBC websites that says 'you are a very naughty person, please stop watching BBC IPlayer live or we will find you £1000 if we catch you...'

Is that a pop up that came up when you tried to watch something via a VPN?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 1:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix

Unless something is going to happen 'in the morning', it would appear that all that has happened is that they have changed the wording on TV Licensing and BBC websites that says 'you are a very naughty person, please stop watching BBC IPlayer live or we will find you £1000 if we catch you...'

Check the UK legislation to see if its an extraditable offence first
Old Sep 1st 2016, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Is that a pop up that came up when you tried to watch something via a VPN?
No, it's just on the TVL website and on BBC News.

Apparently the pop-up that you sometimes get when you watch live will now come up when you watch catch-up too.

Still working fine on our Roku boxes (with DNS), but may be different when the UK wakes up in a few hours.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 1:44 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean I should stay up and watch Bake Off tonight just in case?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 2:28 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

We were watching Bake Off then it stopped. Can't access it on the iPad but we can via BBC media player on an Android phone.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 2:30 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
We were watching Bake Off then it stopped. Can't access it on the iPad but we can via BBC media player on an Android phone.
I downloaded it instead.. Just in case
Old Sep 1st 2016, 2:56 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I downloaded it instead.. Just in case
Trouble is the crappy English tabloids spoil it by saying who got booted off...

Of to watch it now- I have a hunch who might be for the chop next... Old biddy with short grey hair.. Nearly went last week.
Old Sep 1st 2016, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
Yes, stopped working on my iPad (has always been flaky, but now you seem to get about 20 seconds then it freezes....), but works on Roku and plain Mac.

Seems to be an option to Buy access to episodes and series for keeps. Is that new???
Old Sep 1st 2016, 4:11 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Candice..those lips. Until you open your gob!
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:16 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Trouble is the crappy English tabloids spoil it by saying who got booted off...
I think you misheard. It's "keep taking the tablets" not tabloids.

Have you got them in your waiting room or something? What's wrong with 6 month old copies of Readers Digest and Canadian Living like everywhere else?
Old Sep 1st 2016, 11:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just tried to access iplayer from Australia, using Mediahint, I got a box asking if I have a TV licence. If one says 'Yes i do',then it just carries on as normal.

let that continue!
Old Sep 1st 2016, 12:47 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just tried to access iplayer from Australia, using Mediahint, I got a box asking if I have a TV licence. If one says 'Yes i do',then it just carries on as normal...
I don't have MediaHint anymore but when I did, that question was normal. Not necessarily every time, it seemed to remember my answer but ask if I'd not been on for a week or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.