Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

BBC IPlayer to require a TV Licence from 1st September 2016

BBC IPlayer to require a TV Licence from 1st September 2016

Old Aug 2nd 2016, 11:09 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC IPlayer to require a TV Licence from 1st September 2016

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think the problem will be that they go after the UK resident who shares their code, so tapping in to your relative's TV licence may put them in a very awkward position. Much as I would like continued access to BBC TV, I wouldn't put my mother or sister in the situation of risking prosecution for breach of the TV licensing law.
Maybe have it in your name. If they catch you, would they extradite?
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 12:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Maybe have it in your name. If they catch you, would they extradite?
Well that's an interesting suggestion - IF your relative is paying for the licence, there is presumably nothing to stop you (the expat) paying for their licence for them, or at least sharing the cost, and putting it in the expat's name. I am not sure that it would be immediately obvious what had been done and that the named licence holder doesn't live in the country.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

licence is supposed to cover all TVs in your house (and your student offspring away at Uni)
A bit off topic, but your TVL doesn't cover student offspring away from your home (unless they don't watch TV 'live' at all on any device...)

Last edited by withabix; Aug 2nd 2016 at 1:47 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 1:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
A bit off topic, but your TVL doesn't cover student offspring away from your home (unless they don't watch TV 'live' at all on any device...)
Has that changed? It used to cover student offspring if they live in student dorm accommodation, but not if they lived off-campus.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 2:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Has that changed? It used to cover student offspring if they live in student dorm accommodation, but not if they lived off-campus.
I wasn't even aware of that distinction. I thought the only requirement was that the student normally lived in parents household, was only away for Uni and would be returning.
I thought that was covered regardless of their accommodation...because their home was normally the parents' home.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't even aware of that distinction. I thought the only requirement was that the student normally lived in parents household, was only away for Uni and would be returning.
I thought that was covered regardless of their accommodation...because their home was normally the parents' home.
Nope - students are not covered by their parents licence unless they are only using a battery powered device - back in the day, I guess that would have been purely portable tvs.

Official TV Licensing website - Students
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 2:39 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe they'll block people from having multiple devices playing at once - surely lots of people have situations where people are watching on different screens in different rooms? (AM I blind or do I not see anything in the BBC article about having multiple devices?)

In addition, are they going to actually ask you to put in your license code, or are they going to just make you click a box that says "Yes, I have a TV LIcense" as they currently do for live tv?

Curious to see how this shakes out and what the potential workaround would be for those accessing from overseas...
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 2:55 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope!

In 2003 when I was in halls a TV license was still required if you had a TV in your room.

The stuff that gets put out the BBC isn't worth the TV license fee in my opinion - I'll wait for it to come out on Netflix.

There is always channal4 on demand as well
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Nope!

In 2003 when I was in halls a TV license was still required if you had a TV in your room. ....
I was at uni, .... er, .... a few years before you.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The quoted article and others in the UK press are strikingly slim on details especially regarding out of country access . I think this is typical homegrown scare tactics to see if people will go out and buy a license voluntarily. I see a logistical nightmare for the BBC. After all they cannot 'police' the original TV license effectively as it currently exists.

I await with bemusement what will really happen. And yes I too would willingly pay an appropriate fee to access the UK channels. It really is astounding how they try to block out of country ISP's any business worth its weight would be actively encouraging new customers. Licensing rights is just an excuse they trot out.

Last edited by vikingsail; Aug 2nd 2016 at 3:43 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I was at uni, .... er, .... a few years before you.
It was true in 1987 too
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by withabix
It was true in 1987 too. ....
I didn't know that - though the "battery powered exception" vaguely rings a bell.

That said, I never had a TV of my own as a student, and in fact it was a number of years after I graduated, when I bought my first home, before I bought my first TV.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by vikingsail
The quoted article and others in the UK press are strikingly slim on details especially regarding out of country access .
Out of country access is already 'impossible' without using various means of faking your location.

From what I read in the original Government release a couple of months ago, entry of TVL number and address will be required.

I did a dry run on the TVL website last night and assuming that they don't change anything, a UK address and bank account will get you a TV licence with everything sent by email, so in theory you could use ANY UK address.

I don't see how they could stop you from using someone else's TVL number either, unless they have some 'plans' up their sleeves...
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 8:21 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I posted this on the other thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...bc-itv-875177/

someone sent me this today & in view of the licensing charges for BBC IPlayer, has anyone using a VPN/DNS tried 'catch up TV'?

Don't know exactly how it works ..... anyone provide input on this?

http://www.tvcatchup.com/

I cannot get this for the reason that I do not have a VPN or DNS

Last edited by not2old; Aug 2nd 2016 at 8:24 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 8:26 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

Don't know exactly how it works ..... anyone provide input on this?

TVCatchup - Watch Live TV And Never Miss A Show Again!

I cannot get this for the reason that I do not have a VPN or DNS
I used to use that site when I was in the UK (when BBC iplayer kept being a stubbon useless piece of poo) but Ive not used it out here with the VPN - its funny as iplayer works better for me with a VPN then it ever did in the UK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.