Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Banff - things to do for non-skiers

Banff - things to do for non-skiers

Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Banff - things to do for non-skiers

Originally Posted by scilly
I first visited Banff in 1969, and haven't changed my mind much in all the intervening years ............... over-run by tourists, ye olde fudge shop, and shops selling Chinese- or Japanese-made souvenirs.

Yes, Jasper has one fudge shop, the same type of souvenirs, but it never feels over-powered.

Where are you staying in Jasper??

Jasper Park Lodge is very expensive but I love it.

We've stayed twice recently at Whistlers' Inn ............ built in the 1930s and retaining a lot of that era's atmosphere, reasonably priced, clean and comfortable, in downtown, and with a very lively pub on the main floor. Ask for a room(s) on the quiet side as one side looks out over the railway tracks ........... though we had a room directly opposite the station last year and were not disturbed by any noise.

Lovely kitschy coffee and sandwich shop, Coco's Cafe on Patricia Street, and also a wonderful bakery on Connaught, Bear's Paw bakery and The Other Paw Bakery Cafe.

Do take the gondola to the top of The Whistlers to get an overall view.

Lots of places to eat
First visited Banff in the summer of 1965 as a 1 year old (father was on a sabbatical in Canada) and there are photos of me there that I may try and recreate as a 53 year old.

We're hoping to do a lot of hiking etc in the area (wife, 17 year old son and I). In Jasper we're staying in a house through VRBO about a 10 minute walk SW of the main part of town.

In Radium Hot Springs we found a place through Air B'n B. We'd like to be able to make our own meals so we booked those kind of places.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:03 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

A Japanese tourist took my picture once as I stepped off the Greyhound in Banff. I may still be in an album somewhere on far side of the Pacific.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I much prefer Banff to Jasper.

The location of the mountains is far more impressive and there is far more to do within a reasonable distance of the town than in Jasper.

The highest mountain in the Canadian Rockies is near Jasper .... Mount Robson, ~12,970'.

The sight of Mount Robson as you drive the Yellowhead Highway from BC to Jasper is one that is never to be forgotten ....... you drive round a a bend and there is this huge mountain rising straight in front of you. It looks as though the road is going to run into the base!

I had that view for the first time in 1969, it's still very vivid in my mind. Now we see it regularly from the train between Vancouver and Jasper
Old Feb 13th 2018, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
First visited Banff in the summer of 1965 as a 1 year old (father was on a sabbatical in Canada) and there are photos of me there that I may try and recreate as a 53 year old.

We're hoping to do a lot of hiking etc in the area (wife, 17 year old son and I). In Jasper we're staying in a house through VRBO about a 10 minute walk SW of the main part of town.

In Radium Hot Springs we found a place through Air B'n B. We'd like to be able to make our own meals so we booked those kind of places.

You will probably be able to recreate them very well ......... Banff is within Park boundaries, and development is restricted, so many areas look as they did 50 or more years ago!

The same also of course applies to Jasper.
Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Things that you would never say in Europe, part 351.
True- I was thinking of the 7 year old.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

We just spent a few days at Mont Tremblant and neither of us did skiing but found loads to do.

How about riding a snow mobile (you should be able to find a two hour guided ride), a day pass at a spa resort, Canmore definitely worth a drive out to and a look around. Any wildlife parks near Banff?
Old Feb 19th 2018, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
We just spent a few days at Mont Tremblant and neither of us did skiing but found loads to do.

How about riding a snow mobile (you should be able to find a two hour guided ride), a day pass at a spa resort, Canmore definitely worth a drive out to and a look around. Any wildlife parks near Banff?
Banff is in a wild life park!!!

Banff National Park ....... Canada's first National park

zoos and wildlife parks are not allowed within a national park ... you only have to walk down the street to see moose, deer and possibly even a bear (though not a bear in winter)
Old Feb 19th 2018, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Banff is in a wild life park!!!

Banff National Park ....... Canada's first National park

zoos and wildlife parks are not allowed within a national park ... you only have to walk down the street to see moose, deer and possibly even a bear (though not a bear in winter)
So much the better! It was a bit weird and sad seeing these magnificent animals through wire and cattle grids!
Old Feb 19th 2018, 2:08 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You can't go hungry in Banff: