Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Bacon and Stilton Ice Cream?

Bacon and Stilton Ice Cream?

Old Jan 25th 2018, 1:36 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bacon and Stilton Ice Cream?

Originally Posted by Shard
Haven't seen those here.
Does that mean Canada is ahead of the UK?
Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:05 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't seen those here. Fortunately! The key lime pie would be hard to resist.
Oh my! I am 100% with you there. Not seen them over here either - odd, as we have HD in most supermarkets. They may well be yummy but with the hidden danger of being extremely moreish I'll bet.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 1:27 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Almond Magnums. Yum.

HD 'spirits' are nice. Irish Cream, Coffee, Biscotti.

https://cdn-image.realsimple.com/sit...?itok=sGOKS98P
Haven't seen those here. Fortunately! The key lime pie would be hard to resist.

Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
... we have HD in most supermarkets.
Of all the stores in all the world, the one I visited this morning didn't have any HD.

Chicken Curry Ice Cream?
This is looking to be turning out vastly different to the previous experiment.

I've chosen to deviate slightly from the original brief - in the initial attempts - so I'm renaming it Cool Korma.

A few scoops of vanilla ice-cream with most of a jar of Patek's Korma sauce mixed in. I was going to add some diced pineapple, but have opted to leave that for the second attempt.

It's now setting in the freezer.

Well, most of it is
Old Jan 26th 2018, 4:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Of all the stores in all the world, the one I visited this morning didn't have any HD
Did they have a hill of beans?
Old Jan 26th 2018, 6:16 pm
Gloves off

Did they have a hill of beans?
I just had to look that expression up. I had heard it *somewhere* but was unaware of its true meaning. As a Sikh ex-colleague used to say to me "every day is a learning day".

The mainstream Swiss supermarkets tend to border on the depressing when it comes to choice. There are a couple of highbrow outlets in downtown Geneva, but one comes out with a heavy heart and a much lighter wallet.

The choice over the border in France is better, prices are more reasonable, but one risks getting one's car nicked or vandalised as soon as the Swiss plates are spotted...
Old Jan 26th 2018, 6:41 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

In Korea they had green tea ice cream. I like green tea and I like ice cream. I do not like green tea ice cream.

They also had red bean/kidney bean ice cream. Exactly.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 6:42 pm
Oscar nominated

I just had to look that expression up. ...
And there I was thinking you set the tone with your "of all the gin joints, in all the world"
Old Jan 26th 2018, 6:55 pm
Gloves off

And there I was thinking you set the tone with your "of all the gin joints, in all the world"
Appearances can be disruptive...
Old Jan 26th 2018, 7:04 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
... They also had red bean/kidney bean ice cream. Exactly.
I've seen this somewhere - Japan maybe? - but didn't sample it. Not sure I'd be up for making it until I had tried and approved a commercial version.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 7:36 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Name me any roaring commercial success that is savoury and consumed frozen?

There is of course the tin of beans from the fridge or the breakfast morning after pizza, but these are not commercial products per se.

Nope - its dead at birth....

I can tell you one strange room temperature product - shuddering beef... Kill a cow, butcher it, and serve the best bit of steak up while its still warm. If you drop a bit of soy sauce on it, the muscle will judder, chinese thing... They do something similar with octopus and vinegar, and deep fried fish where they are placed tail first in the hot oil and the head stays out, so its effectively still alive when consumed - lovely people the chinese.
Old Jan 26th 2018, 7:58 pm
Gloves off

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Name me any roaring commercial success that is savoury and consumed frozen?
Damn, and there I was working on the business plan.

Originally Posted by uk_grenada

I can tell you one strange room temperature product - shuddering beef... Kill a cow, butcher it, and serve the best bit of steak up while its still warm. If you drop a bit of soy sauce on it, the muscle will judder, chinese thing... They do something similar with octopus and vinegar, and deep fried fish where they are placed tail first in the hot oil and the head stays out, so its effectively still alive when consumed - lovely people the chinese.
I believe that I've just been propelled outside of my comfort zone.

Old Jan 27th 2018, 4:02 pm
Gloves off

Cool Korma update.

This is actually good. Just had a demi-portion with flaked almonds for my afternoon snack.

I think I can sell this to the girls as an alternative curry coolant. I usually use Greek yoghurt with Colman's Mint Sauce, but I reckon this is viable.

Still holding off on adding solids (pineapple, pulled chicken) but tomorrow will be upping the ante with Vanilla Tikka Masala.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Warwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to behold

I've had Stilton ice cream served with poached pear, it was amazing. Unusual but delicious 😋
Old Feb 21st 2018, 9:31 am
Gloves off

Originally Posted by Warwickbowman
I've had Stilton ice cream served with poached pear, it was amazing. Unusual but delicious 😋
Hmm. That does sound interesting, but I wasn't overwhelmed with my previous stilton ice cream attempt. How subtle was the stilton ice cream with your pear?
Old Feb 21st 2018, 9:54 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I really like the sound of these savory ice creams, Danish Blue with a Greek youghurt base would be good. I am very fond of Lime pickle and think that that would be most successful in an ice cream. I've made a lot of savory sorbets (tomato chilli and basil) was good, when living in warmer parts...chilled soups, which I love in summer, just don't really cut it here for me this morning, where freezing rain has yet again closed the schools!

Pickled wallnuts with Stilton would probably be quite toothsome too...and anchovy in anything please...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.