Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Atleast she picked the right day.

Atleast she picked the right day.

Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Atleast she picked the right day.

Charlee became ill last night/early morning around 1am, and was sick all night, and into the morning so we took her to see the doggy doctor.

Not 100% sure what was is/was causing the return of stomach contents and um well liquid poop, but a couple hundred dollars later, she seems to be feeling better.

First the doggy doctor thought maybe she ate something she shouldn't have, and had a blockage in her stomach or intestines so wanted to do an x-ray, the cool factor aside (a dachshund x-ray is pretty nifty looking) nothing of significance showed up on the x-ray, as in nothing blocking her inside parts, although her intestines are in an odd position, but the doggy doctor said its not significant, and should cause no issues.

The organs visible looked fine, but in all honesty the only parts I could identify was her spine and rib cage.....

Once the x-ray was done (priciest of everything, but I am sure those digital x-ray machines cost a fortune.) doggy doc is fairly certain she likely picked up a bacterial bug upsetting her tummy.

A couple of shots of meds for vomiting and diarrhea, a shot of saline solution under her skin giving her a little camel hump for about an hour, and some antibiotics, and she seems to be feeling a bit better and is at least awake and acting 80% like her normal self.

All I can say is, I am glad I am not a vet, has to be a bit difficult trying to figure something out when your patient can't tell you how they feel or what hurts.

Suppose its like an infant seeing a human doctor....

All I can say is at least Charlee picked the right day to get ill.....
Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Atleast she picked the right day.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...we took her to see the doggy doctor
That's not a very nice way to describe our esteemed colleague from the Okanagan.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's not a very nice way to describe our esteemed colleague from the Okanagan.
I see what you did there....
Old Mar 25th 2016, 1:48 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Glad she is feeling better.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 2:16 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Best doctor is a doggy doctor
Old Mar 25th 2016, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Charlee became ill last night/early morning around 1am, and was sick all night, and into the morning so we took her to see the doggy doctor.

Not 100% sure what was is/was causing the return of stomach contents and um well liquid poop, but a couple hundred dollars later, she seems to be feeling better.

First the doggy doctor thought maybe she ate something she shouldn't have, and had a blockage in her stomach or intestines so wanted to do an x-ray, the cool factor aside (a dachshund x-ray is pretty nifty looking) nothing of significance showed up on the x-ray, as in nothing blocking her inside parts, although her intestines are in an odd position, but the doggy doctor said its not significant, and should cause no issues.

The organs visible looked fine, but in all honesty the only parts I could identify was her spine and rib cage.....

Once the x-ray was done (priciest of everything, but I am sure those digital x-ray machines cost a fortune.) doggy doc is fairly certain she likely picked up a bacterial bug upsetting her tummy.

A couple of shots of meds for vomiting and diarrhea, a shot of saline solution under her skin giving her a little camel hump for about an hour, and some antibiotics, and she seems to be feeling a bit better and is at least awake and acting 80% like her normal self.

All I can say is, I am glad I am not a vet, has to be a bit difficult trying to figure something out when your patient can't tell you how they feel or what hurts.

Suppose its like an infant seeing a human doctor....

All I can say is at least Charlee picked the right day to get ill.....
You did well to get all that for $200. Ours doesn't get ill very often, but when he does he manages to require an operation which costs an extra 0. Glad she is feeling better.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Veterinary medicine is a license to print money...

Although it has one of the highest suicide rates for occupations
Old Mar 25th 2016, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Had no idea they had a high suicide rate. I wonder why.

Its one of things with vets, you have a pet that is sick and no way to tell what is 100% needed and what they could just be padding the bill with.

Looking back, had I dont better in academics/School, i wouldnt have minded going to vet school and have the ability to treat my pets when needed.

One thing I have noticed is atleast with the Uni of SK program is the high % of female students vs male. This past year 65 female and 13 male. I wonder why men seem to not want to be vets?

Need to have an avg above 80% to get in though. 395 applicants and 78 admissions.

Originally Posted by haggis88

Old Mar 25th 2016, 4:43 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88

$80 is the cheapest I can find in NB to walk through the door. I took my cat there in the first couple of months I was here and she 'touched' the cat for all of two minutes and told me that he had an inflamed hair nodule and I should put an anti bacterial cream on it....$120 later I left the surgery!

At New Year we decided to put our 17 year old cat to sleep. She was blind, and not happy. We had thought about it. One, brief, discussion and 20 minutes later I paid $ 260.

I came here with 3 cats and 1 dog, and here in NB I cannot afford to treat them. Where I came from my vet was a welcome family professional, who would charge me an 'overall' shifting fee... I now have a cat that has a slight problem, but I cannot justify a trip to the vet...I genuinely cannot afford it.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 5:47 am
Account Closed

Some areas have some crazy fees. The office fee for the one we went to (first visit since we have moved and old vet is 200km away) is 49 dollars. The bulk of what we paid was the x ray.

But the vet did spend a lot of time with us and Charlee. A little over an hour in total.

Originally Posted by MillieF
$80 is the cheapest I can find in NB to walk through the door. I took my cat there in the first couple of months I was here and she 'touched' the cat for all of two minutes and told me that he had an inflamed hair nodule and I should put an anti bacterial cream on it....$120 later I left the surgery!

At New Year we decided to put our 17 year old cat to sleep. She was blind, and not happy. We had thought about it. One, brief, discussion and 20 minutes later I paid $ 260.

I came here with 3 cats and 1 dog, and here in NB I cannot afford to treat them. Where I came from my vet was a welcome family professional, who would charge me an 'overall' shifting fee... I now have a cat that has a slight problem, but I cannot justify a trip to the vet...I genuinely cannot afford it.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of them are at it, for sure...but there's not much you can do about it unfortunately

We pay exorbitant insurance for the cat (Cornish Rex) and the dog (Boxer), but it's already paid out way more than we've ever paid in due to the dog going into renal failure

If the vet is padding the bill to the insurance, I don't really care
Old Mar 25th 2016, 1:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...I took my cat there in the first couple of months I was here and she 'touched' the cat for all of two minutes
Just a partial cat scan then.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 2:09 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Millie, you should search for a Animal Hospital, they have them in Ontario, we go to the one at Lawrence and Brimley in Scarborough. Bit of a trip but for a full checkup, Rabies jab and that worm test they always insist on it usually cost around $85.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 8:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I was amazed at how many vet practices there are in Fredericton! You may find that going a little outside the area the prices are lower.. I know that Brantford vets charge around 60% of the Hamilton ones.

When my best girl was ill the bills were nearly $2000 from the usual vet and another $1800 from the emergency vet over a period of 10 days - including fees for having her put to sleep and cremated. I refused to pay $600 of the original vets fees as he basically caused her to be in such a bad state that I had no option but to have her euthanised. Not a happy time.

Hope your kitty gets better soon - and (@JS) that Charlie is feeling good again.